17 hmr

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Re: 17 hmr

Post by Generalkommendant »

SoftShoe wrote:I had the opportunity to use the 17 on a Bobcat last night & I DON'T recommend it!

1st shot 140m perfect broadside. Hit her in the ribs. Game registers body hit. I track her for 660m before spotting again.
2nd shot 170m quartering away. Another good hit that should have been lung or at least stomach/intestines. Game registers body hit. I track her another 1400m (yep 1.4km) before I see her again.
3rd shot 70m shooting down & quartering away. Hit in the ribs again. Game registers body hit but she only goes another 40m before expiring.

Over an hour & 2km of tracking to get a 6.5 scoring cat

Those, obviously incorrect, body hits are a real moral breaker and sometimes a rage quitter :cry:
gas56
Outfitter

Re: 17 hmr

Post by gas56 »

Myself and a lot of others really rallied behind the .17 HMR when trying to get it into the game,... for a number of reasons.
The main reason is IRL it is a laser like shooting small rifle that puts small holes into critters & furbearers where you're aiming at with incredible speeds.
In the game though It was never intended for hunting Coyotes and the like,... although IRL it is widely used along with the .17 WSM which is more potent than the .17 HMR & Remington bullets.
Older posts about this big conquest on reasoning differences for game use & IRL facts are usually non-related for the #1 reason of game balancing, so if you can live with
what it is used for in the game and the basic why it is only used on certain animals in the game than I think we at least got a compromise of getting the rifle into theHunter.
This rifle is very accurate with putting its small bullets where you aim it, so take care when aiming and it will do the job efficiently in the game, your best bet is to hit the heart lung area that is flat broadside.
If you want to read some small basic facts about IRL .17 caliber rifles usage just to start,.. I urge you to check out the link below.
And if you want to know more about all the scuttlebutt that went on while discussing the .17 HMR postings than do a search on it, as for one,,,
I surely don't want to go through all of that again........... :)
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/r ... ble-today/

Return to “General Chat”