Polar and Grizzly Bear changed without notice

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Polar and Grizzly Bear changed without notice

Post by HooCairs »

Did anyone else notice how the polar and grizzly bear have completely changed their behavior. They used to stand their ground and attack when you came close. Now they behave just like brown bear.

What are your thoughts about this change?
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
fantamichele
Outfitter

Re: Polar and Grizzly Bear changed without notice

Post by fantamichele »

I'm not sure if they've changed, but I'm sure they're bad. I captured about 500 polar bears in 3 weeks and they attacked me many times.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Yes, they have changed. There are a couple of threads that mention it. No running them down now. Good move EW.
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hi,

I can confirm this, too. The flee very, very fast, sometimes from a disatnce of 200m. Way more easy spooked than brown bears did a few weeks ago. Dind't think it's been changed intentionally. But would be good to know.

Cheers,
Wehrwolf.
μολών λαβέ
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

if any planned changes happened it would be nice to know.i mostly get my polar bears on the ice rafts so make no difference when they out at sea :D
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

In my opinion it has been overdone - they are quite the cowards now. I understand that bears are rather skittish and flee when they sense you from further away, but tend to attack you if they get surprised and you're already pretty close. They way it seems to be now, it's very hard to get close to them (speaking of grizzlies, can't say anything about polar bears) because they often flee from 100+ meters even if I'm crouching and the wind is in my favor - and they also run away in the rare cases that I managed to get closer. During the Halloween event they usually started the attack - growling and standing up - but then had second thoughts and ran away. Hogs and black bears seem to be more dangerous than grizz at the moment and I'm not sure that reflects real nature correctly..?

By the way, running them down still works - if you're running, you're still faster than a fleeing bear. Of course this is only an option if you see them and are able to run after them in a straight line. Using that strategy in a dense forest area where you have to look for the tracks usually won't work.
Image Image Image
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

Pretty much as Tanngnjostr said. ^
I don't like the change, makes bow hunting them almost impossible on the ground.
Had a Grizzly spook 120m out while crouched with my outback clothing on at the time.
Would be nice if we were notified of this change to the A.I instead of doing it in secret.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

grizzly bears are more fun when they attack than flee for gameplay reasons.same with polar bears.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

ronMctube wrote:grizzly bears are more fun when they attack than flee for gameplay reasons.same with polar bears.
For you maybe, I am quite tired of bears jumping me while I was after something else. :)
I agree though with the OP that such a profound change should be announced. I understand that bears become more skittish after being hunted for a while because all the "heroic" bears are DEAD!
Code: Select all
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I would have preferred if they kept some kind of middle ground with these two bears, where there was a 50/50 or 40/60 or whatever percent chance of the bear either fleeing or standing it's ground when you approach it. Getting them to charge may have made hunting them easy for some, but I also found getting charged to be quite fun (especially in those thick bushy areas of TGT where you could hear the bear start charging before you ever saw it). It was different than just another animal that ran away before you ever got anywhere near it. While difficult animals can be fun to hunt, I still prefer variety. If the AI for those two bears has changed to being just spooky and not aggressive at all, which has been exclusively my experience with them the last few times I've seen them, then they're no different from the brown or black bears as far as I'm concerned (aside from the option of baiting, which I don't really do anyway). No matter the case, I believe there should have been some kind of announcement if the bears were going to change unless it was somehow done unintentionally.

Return to “General Chat”