Spook radius of various equipment?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Zaitzev82
Spotter

Spook radius of various equipment?

Post by Zaitzev82 »

Is there a list of what the spook radius is of various equipment, weapons and such? I'd like to see a thorough list because it'll be key to the hunting tactics.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Spook radius of various equipment?

Post by Tod1d »

I'm pretty sure all of the portable equipment spooks out to 100m when you set it up. (Treestand, Ground blind, Tripod)

All of the guns, except the .22LR & .17HMR spook out to render range (220m). I'm not sure of the spook distance for the small calibers

Bows & Crossbows have a very short spook range for the noise that the bow itself makes. (<30m). I believe the arrow makes a sound at impact. If an animal is too close to the one you shoot, it will spook. So if you're trying to pick off a herd/pack, pick off the animals that are at least 30m away from you (or the rest of the herd is >30m away), and are not close to other animals. And, of course, make sure it's a good heart shot, or the animal itself will spook & spook the rest.

The air rifle, I think, for all practical purposes, is silent. Only a hit animal spooking will spook other animals. e.g. If you drop a rabbit with a head shot, it's friends won't spook.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Zaitzev82 wrote:Is there a list of what the spook radius is of various equipment, weapons and such? I'd like to see a thorough list because it'll be key to the hunting tactics.
Most rifles and handguns spook out to render range (around 220 meters) in a single player game. In a multiplayer game, they spook in a radius of approx. 500 meters around the shooter, but only areas that are render range of any player at the moment of the shot are affected.
The only exceptions are the Plinkington rifle, the .17 HMR rifle, the Air Rifle and the .22 pistol as far as I know. Also, bows and crossbows have a much lower spook radius. But all those exceptions don't have a fixed spook radius, it depends on the species, score, nervousness of the animal. There are rules of thumb how far a certain bow spooks animals, but it's not always exactly the same. I'm sure a lot players can provide their experiences.

Setting up or dismantling large equipment (tents, tree stands, ground blinds..) spooks everything within 100 meters. Getting in or out of them does not spook anything. Deployables (predator decoy etc.) don't seem to spook anything either when being put down or picked up.

EDIT: Tod beat me. :)
Image Image Image
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Tanngnjostr wrote:EDIT: Tod beat me. :)
It's not a competition. ;) More info is good.

I forgot about MP. I thought the render ranges had to overlap for the spook effect to carry over to animals in the 2nd hunter's render range. But some have reported up to 500-600m away, so maybe it works a little different than I thought.

Are you sure about dismantling equipment? I thought that was also silent. And I thought setting up a tent was quiet too.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Tod1d wrote:I forgot about MP. I thought the render ranges had to overlap for the spook effect to carry over to animals in the 2nd hunter's render range. But some have reported up to 500-600m away, so maybe it works a little different than I thought.
It's possible they have to overlap, but then 500 meters would be unlikely unless there are three players in a line. Anyway, it definitely is higher in MP games!
Tod1d wrote:Are you sure about dismantling equipment? I thought that was also silent. And I thought setting up a tent was quiet too.
Not 100% sure, but almost. Should be easy to test.
Image Image Image
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Post by Generalkommendant »

I think tents are quite quiet. I swapped some tents at WRR yesterday and at one location I had a moose staring at me during the whole process (putting up a tent, dismantling another and finally move the first one to the dismantled tents original location). Mooses are obviously not easily scared but it still tests the theory that "everything within 100m" gets spooked.

I know for a fact that deployables don't spook such as the e-caller or the shooting tripod.

Anyway it seems spooking radius has changed when it comes to firearms. Imo. The rifles has become less spooky and the bows a bit more. I don't complain about that. But it feels there has been a tiny tweak going on. And the muzzleloaders spook less than ordinary rifles for sure.

I conclude this about the rifles from observing brown bears at Hemmeldal. If I got 5 brown bears at a barrel I can shoot one of them and see the other 4 run away. But they only run to appr. 190m and then stop. With a muzzleloader they only run for about 150m.

At VdB I've seen bears not being spooked just outside render distance after a .30R shot being fired. "Oh, there's another one! And there's another!" seems quite common presently. Didn't experience that before.

Return to “General Chat”