Finally a reason to use the .243

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
mapache01
Outfitter

Re: Finally a reason to use the .243

Post by mapache01 »

Before Bobcat I use .243 for Fox and Deer does and Yotes, for Sitka Buck is a little weak and Dall Sheep I think are tough for .243, Now I Use .223 (AR Style) for Bobcats it's the best for the job I think, .17hmr is SO WEAK for Fox, only good for Birds.

I wish we had now a Blaser R8 in .243 , also .300 or 8X57,

Why not 30-30 permitted for Bobcat too? whadaya think?

AHHH i Forgott .243 also very good for Roos and Goats, my combination rifle for BRanger and WRidge .243 and any of this 3 (.340/8x57/.45-70)
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

mapache01 wrote:Before Bobcat I use .243 for Fox and Deer does and Yotes, for Sitka Buck is a little weak and Dall Sheep I think are tough for .243, Now I Use .223 (AR Style) for Bobcats it's the best for the job I think, .17hmr is SO WEAK for Fox, only good for Birds.

AHHH i Forgott .243 also very good for Roos and Goats, my combination rifle for BRanger and WRidge .243 and any of this 3 (.340/8x57/.45-70)
Yeah, I agree the .17 HMR does seem weak for the foxes. However, Caladonian, proved this wrong. He shot a couple over 100 m., I think using the .17 HMR, and dropped them. So, is it to weak for the foxes? or are we just not as efficient with kill shots using it? I certainly like it for the rabbits and small game, but, I too still shy away from it when it comes to foxes. The .223 works best for them critters I think. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

BCKidd wrote:
mapache01 wrote:Before Bobcat I use .243 for Fox and Deer does and Yotes, for Sitka Buck is a little weak and Dall Sheep I think are tough for .243, Now I Use .223 (AR Style) for Bobcats it's the best for the job I think, .17hmr is SO WEAK for Fox, only good for Birds.

Yeah, I agree the .17 HMR does seem weak for the foxes. However, Caladonian, proved this wrong. He shot a couple over 100 m., I think using the .17 HMR, and dropped them. So, is it to weak for the foxes? or are we just not as efficient with kill shots using it? I certainly like it for the rabbits and small game, but, I too still shy away from it when it comes to foxes. The .223 works best for them critters I think. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.
I try .17hmr on Fox but ONLY on head front shots or completely sure I will hit heart bellow 100mts, but at 100mts you only hit one lung and body shots, above 100mts aim head and Skull shot, and prepare for a looong tracking, even at 50mts I can't manage to shot both lungs, the same for Coyotes with .223 I never manage to double lung a Yote at 100mts, always one lung and .223 it's smashing bullet at 100mts for Yotes IRL you will pass trough easily.

The weapon I really, really regret to buy is the 30-30 d..n thing I so weak for Ibex and Sheeps and Goats, no way for Buck Deers and for Pigs it's a suicide if you want a frontal challenge, Wish this thing will be permitted for fox and bobcats.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

The .243 was the obvious choice to carry around when the Bobcats came out as it was the only rifle allowed that could shoot the Bobcat and medium Deer (WT,BT,MD) sized prey
if also packing along a Bow, a handgun, and a TS and the callers. The 30/30 is on the edge of the allowed list and is cut out of using on Bobcats,.. though there's no good reason
why it can't be used because like the .243 it can take Coyotes, Wolves, Sheep, & goats, & medium deer, excluded is Reindeer, Red deer & Hogs for the .243 on the higher end of the list.
The only drawback of the .243 is it being a single shot,.. but a well placed shot does the trick even at 200 yards on the Bobcat.
Although I still get a little bit of a wobble in a TS with it because I hardly have used the .243 but only in missions so it should get even better the more I level it up.
I have 12 wood .243 rifles and 1 carbon .243 rifle. So I think I'm all set......... :lol:
Last edited by gas56 on September 21st, 2017, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

gas56 wrote:The .243 was the obvious choice to carry around when the Bobcats came out as it was the only rifle allowed that could shoot the Bobcat and medium Deer (WT,BT,MD) sized prey
if also packing along a Bow, a handgun, and a TS and the callers. The 30/30 is on the edge of the allowed list and is cut out of using on Bobcats,.. though there's no good reason
why it can't be used because like the .243 it can take Coyotes, Wolves, Sheep, & goats, & medium deer.
The only drawback of the .243 is it being a single shot,.. but a well placed shot does the trick even at 200 yards on the Bobcat.
Although I still get a little bit of a wobble in a TS with it because I hardly have used the .243 but only in missions so it should get even better the more I level it up.
I have 12 wood .243 rifles and 1 carbon .243 rifle. So I think I'm all set......... :lol:
I love the .243 carbon! the sound it's a little different than Wood version and really it's the best to take out a Fox above 150mts, I think the 2-10x42mm duplex reticle it's to thick to aim Fox above 150mt so instead I'm relying on 3-9x40mm target dot.

I'm using the .243 carbon with 2-10x40mm for Bobcat/Yotes
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

mapache01 wrote:
BCKidd wrote:

BCKidd.
I try .17hmr on Fox but ONLY on head front shots or completely sure I will hit heart bellow 100mts, but at 100mts you only hit one lung and body shots, above 100mts aim head and Skull shot, and prepare for a looong tracking, even at 50mts I can't manage to shot both lungs, the same for Coyotes with .223 I never manage to double lung a Yote at 100mts, always one lung and .223 it's smashing bullet at 100mts for Yotes IRL you will pass trough easily.

The weapon I really, really regret to buy is the 30-30 d..n thing I so weak for Ibex and Sheeps and Goats, no way for Buck Deers and for Pigs it's a suicide if you want a frontal challenge, Wish this thing will be permitted for fox and bobcats.
I think the problem with weapons like the .223, .243 and the 30-30 being weak for deer sized animals yet not allowed for species such a bobcat(30-30) could be solved by offering at least two ammo choices just like the shotguns.
For example; The 30-30 could have the option of either a 150 grain bullet with less powder for smaller game or a 170 grain bullet with a standard load of powder for deer etc. When I was a kid my dad and I loaded many different types of ammo and used the 30-30 and .32 special for anything from squirrel to whitetail deer. Although the 150gr is also popular for deer IRL, with a little artistic license it could be a great rd. for bobcat, coyote, and maybe kangaroo, dall sheep and feral goat.(I don't know much about them)
This could also give the .243 the versatility it deserves by offering a heavier bullet for some of the species it struggles with now.
Too much emphasis in game is put on the gun itself rather than the ammo load. Introducing ammo choices for some of the current calibers could be a real game changer, no pun intended.
But we're straying way off topic so my apologies to the original poster.
Last edited by SloNeZ on September 21st, 2017, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

mapache01 wrote:
gas56 wrote:The .243 was the obvious choice to carry around when the Bobcats came out as it was the only rifle allowed that could shoot the Bobcat and medium Deer (WT,BT,MD) sized prey
why it can't be used because like the .243 it can take Coyotes, Wolves, Sheep, & goats, & medium deer.
I love the .243 carbon! the sound it's a little different than Wood version and really it's the best to take out a Fox above 150mts, I think the 2-10x42mm duplex reticle it's to thick to aim Fox above 150mt so instead I'm relying on 3-9x40mm target dot.

I'm using the .243 carbon with 2-10x40mm for Bobcat/Yotes
I use the 3-9x40mm (silver) on the carbon .243 on Bobcats, but I may put on the 2-10x40mm just to see the difference.
I use the PP bow if they come in close just to keep the noise down.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

SloNeZ wrote:[..
Too much emphasis in game is put on the gun itself rather than the ammo load. Introducing ammo choices for some of the current calibers could be a real game changer, no pun intended.
+100 AGREE!!!
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

mapache01 wrote:
SloNeZ wrote:[..
+100 AGREE!!!
What better reason is needed than using a heavier grain bullet load to use the .243 rifle.....
though I don't think we will see it happen for any rifles....
I think that is pretty much on topic.... ;)
RickC
Outfitter

Post by RickC »

gas56 wrote: What better reason is needed than using a heavier grain bullet load to use the .243 rifle.....
though I don't think we will see it happen for any rifles....
I think that is pretty much on topic.... ;)
I think, in the past rather than adding an ammo choice (an arrow weight choice too) they simply tweaked the firearm/bow's power a little, which to me simulated getting a better performing cartridge/arrow for it.

Personally, I think the .243 is deliberately kept weak to encourage buying another rifle instead of sticking with the free one.

Return to “General Chat”