Scent eliminator

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
vittring
Tracker

Scent eliminator

Post by vittring »

How much protection does the scent eliminator give?
Skybird
Hunter

Re: Scent eliminator

Post by Skybird »

These things usually get hopelessly overestimated.

Lets put it this way: it has an effect - but I have easily learned to get along without it.

With crossbow I use to shoot at ranges of 8-12m. No animal flees from me at that distance when I lay flat on the ground, not moving, no special clothing, no spray. They often get even closer.

With bows it is a bit more difficult, since you cannot lay flat when using them, but at least must kneel. Hide yourself behind rocks or trees (unpassable objects, that is), then pop up and shoot at ranges below 20m. Scent suppressor spray again not needed.

Understand that turning in place, and making a sidestep, work differently. The first seems to no increase your noise level, the second seems to do right that. So avoid moving around, even for just one step.

At distances you usually use firearms at, scent suppressor spray is not needed at all.

My impression is that sound is the most important factor to conceal in the game, followed by sight at close distance. Scent seems to be the most unimportant.

If you would need to chose between using the spray, and never walking upright, you would gain MUCH more by ignoring the first and doing the latter.

Summary: there is more important thing sin the game to watch out for. Camouflage clothing and scent suppression spray are two things I no longer care for. Not being heard by animals is by far the most important thing to take care for. The distances at which sound comes into play, is much longer than distances when visual sighting and scent plays a role. Move and behave accordingly: be a submarine. ;)
hours: >960 / Hunter Score: >8400
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

I agree with Skybird, and would add that if you pay attention to the wind direction you can usually get away with not using scent eliminator.

Also some species are more "sensitive" to scent, and the higher score an animal is the more likely it is to "smell" you.

When I first started playing I used it a lot, but now I rarely use it. I save it for those times that I need to get really close, or if the animals are in a group and I need to avoid spooking any of them while I work in close to the high scoring one I'm after.
Personal Bests...
DonderDeer
Outfitter

Post by DonderDeer »

I don't even put it in my loadout backpack.
homk
vittring
Tracker

Post by vittring »

I noticed some animals seems to spook at about 30-40 meters range if wind is in their direction even if I'm on the ground hiding, sometimes even longer range then that. Wind is sometimes almost none but sometimes its really strong, I think scent travels far then.
So if wind is bad I think scent eliminator is useful.

But I don't know how much protection it gives, compared to camo, does it give "some" or like a"bove average" bonus to smell reduction?
T0MRf5
Outfitter

Post by T0MRf5 »

Good is what it says in the store.
vittring
Tracker

Post by vittring »

T0MRf5 wrote:Good is what it says in the store.
Thanks! I must be blind! :lol:
Bonaventura
Outfitter

Post by Bonaventura »

vittring wrote:I noticed some animals seems to spook at about 30-40 meters range if wind is in their direction even if I'm on the ground hiding, sometimes even longer range then that. Wind is sometimes almost none but sometimes its really strong, I think scent travels far then.
So if wind is bad I think scent eliminator is useful.
It's true that some animals (mainly small deer bucks for me) have a habit of spooking from 40+ and more metres away which may best be explained by scent, but my experience is that they will still spook, even if I use the eliminator.

Another example: On all of my bait sites in RFF there is one particular angle (when the bear approaches from the NE, i.e. is directly downwind) where there is a chance that the bears will spook, especially the big ones, although I'm in a treestand with excellent scent reduction. So when I see a bear approach from there, I normally use the eliminator (one of the few occasions where I do that), but there is still a 50:50 chance that the bear will spook. Although I have a threefold (and supposedly stacking) scent reduction:
- moderate from my camo
- good from the eliminator
- excellent from the treestand
The reduction should in this case be so high that no animal would possibly be able to smell me, but still they do at times. Which lets me think that the scent eliminator makes no difference.

It would be nice if it actually did, but so far the only use it seems to have is when you want to get within a 20m radius of an animal and the wind is blowing right into its nostrils.
My season stats
Spoiler:
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

I'd say it works like this...
If you use the Scent eliminator spray alone with no camo on it gives you Good Scent Reduction.
If you had full Trapper outfit on + scent eliminator spray it would still only give you Good Scent Reduction. You're not benefiting at all from the trapper outfit scent reduction.
If you're in a Treestand and used Scent eliminator spray same thing ^ it would not work because you're already benefiting from excellent scent reduction that the Treestand alone gives you.

Since the game rates all camo like this: Some < Moderate < Above Moderate < Fairly Good < Good < Excellent < Legendary.
I personally would say they don't stack up unless another item has a greater value like I explained up top ^ That's the only way it makes perfect sense at least to me anyway.

Roughly though it's hard to say exactly how much protection it gives considering all animals are different but I'd say 2M distance reduction being Some and 14M distance reduction being Legendary.
That is just my opinion.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
DonderDeer
Outfitter

Post by DonderDeer »

Daniel G Gustafsson wrote:
Wickedm1ke wrote:However [it] doesn't stack with items like the tree stand that give excellent scent reduction.
They do stack.

So either the player theory here is incorrect, the dev is incorrect, or there's a bug.

source
homk

Return to “General Chat”