Tip of the week [NOMINATE]

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Re: Tip of the week [NOMINATE]

Post by Hawkeye »

Cleaned up this thread. Please keep comments on the topic of Tip of the Week. Thanks.
digger7475

Post by digger7475 »

Quicker Dog Training

Set yourself up for a good shot on a large animal, bear, moose etc. Use a large calibre and shoot for a liver/intestine, you want to get the animal to run off but leave quick blood trails, pref where you can see them easily. Helps if your dog is near level 14 to see its silhouette far away but can still work from the get go.

Go to first trail send your dog to follow and wait at the first trail, wait for your dog to get as far as it can go, which is why you want blood trails close together.
If you loose sight of your dog you can check progress by Pressing V and watching for experience value to go up. once it hasn't moved for about 30 seconds the dog is either at the kill or as far as it can go.

Call dog back, once back send it to hunt the trail again, rinse and repeat as many times as you want and the XP still goes up. Tried it a few times now and always works until you're bored.

Also
At lower levels to train up quickly, when sitting up in a blind or stand keep telling your dog to sit and lay with treats and levels soon rack up, in my experience it has no effect on quary unless with 15m of the dog.
If using a stand, tell your dog to "stay" at foot of front of stand and get into stand, then you can still feed the treats after command to get XP bonus.

It took me 35mins and 100 treats to get a brand new retriever from level 0-7 before XP bonus dropped to 100%
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

This may have already been covered, but....
Yesterday I had an idea to make tracking in TGT a little easier. Toggle your sunglasses. I was using red for the domes, then yesterday in TGT I switched to yellow & every time I lost the tracks I turned on the sunglasses. Everything else got darker but the domes stood out better. It did not work 100% of the time, but it did help quite a bit.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Some simple newbie tips:

Tracking Tips:
-If you have noted at least 2 or 3 tracks you will probably seen little 'X's' marked on the huntermate. Often this can help give you an indicator of the direction it is going above what the 'cone' is showing you.
-When you have just picked up a track, look directly in the middle of the 'cone' or exactly in the direction you believe the animal is moving and press 'X' on your keyboard toggling 'look mode'. Continue walking strait while looking on both sides. Nowhere else in the game have I found this feature more useful than in not losing the next track. This works best on open terrain that you can see well and you will spot the next track much easier. This has allowed me to spot many tracks that I otherwise would have passed and not seen.

Another really simple newbie tip but I feel is worth mentioning is that when you start a hunt at the lodge make sure you always 'load' your guns there. Don't wait till you have a buck in front of you to load your weapon as you will likely scare it away.

These are simple things in the game but if you are feeling impatient, and especially if you are bran new, these can be helpful to bare in mind.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Euro Rabbits dead inside burrow

I don't know if has been posted here, but sometimes when you shoot to an Euro rabbit it will run an die inside the burrow making impossible to collect from outside(retrievers can i think) but the trick is: go to the burrow where the rabbit is dead and go prone, due a graphical glitch yo can "see" inside the burrow and collect the dead rabbit.

This one was posted for another player in the forum so i claim no credit for this, i just reminded this trick but not who or where i did read it, sorry to the dude that wrote it, since i lost many good rabbits before i knew this i wanted share here with everyone. Again, i cannot take credit for this trick.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
DaveyCockett
Tracker

Post by DaveyCockett »

Aim small miss small. Never use a small caliber weapon on a large caliber target.
Pretty_Boy
Outfitter

Post by Pretty_Boy »

When using the 16x50mm Spotting Scope, it can zoom in and out a little slow, when you scroll the wheel on the mouse. If you have one of those mouses where you are able to make the wheel spin, the zooming in and out gets much faster :)

Ahh EDIT:
I almost forgot, If you see a male and female roe deer, and your'e walking with the muzzleloader, wondering if it's permitted on roe's or not. Shoot the female.

Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

Pretty_Boy wrote:When using the 16x50mm Spotting Scope, it can zoom in and out a little slow, when you scroll the wheel on the mouse. If you have one of those mouses where you are able to make the wheel spin, the zooming in and out gets much faster :)
My mouse (Logitech G502) has extra buttons on it. I think by default pg up and down were zoom in and out. I changed them to a couple buttons that are easy to reach on my mouse and it zooms fast. I think I know what you're talking about though. I can unlock my wheel and let it free spin and it is fast.
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

stancomputerhunter wrote:It's not really hard to include the picture on your post, instead of the link. Just go to your Gallery, click on the share button next to the trash can at the top of the picture, then copy the BBC code and paste it in here instead of the URL.
That was quite helpful as I had missed this new for me feature.
Code: Select all
Tuck_SFA
Hunter

Post by Tuck_SFA »

Tip for returning to game after a 'Lost Connection' AND the gray THC count-down screen hopelessly not returning to game.

Quick answer is to:
Assure that you have regained Internet Connection (refresh a url, check the connection icon, able to see Steam Friends list...many different ways.)
THC count-down timer still active.
Disconnect and re-connect to the Internet.
Click on your game icon.
Poof!

I've done this approximately 50 times in a row without failure. I'm having intermittent Lost Connections that last mostly no more than 15 seconds or so. But, the problem is, is that THC count-down screen does not return to the game consistently (for me, about 20% of the time.) This has saved numerous competition attempts. Most freaked out moment was when the timer got to 8 seconds and finally my internet connected. Hunt saved :D
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”