What happens when you have 2 full geese setups?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Frankster

What happens when you have 2 full geese setups?

Post by Frankster »

I was wondering about setting up a second location with full set of geese decoys and a blind and host mps.
But i'm wondering what happens if one of the locations doesn't have any players in it. Could i face a situation where the empty location fills up with geese landing,and not spawn at the location where the players are?
I went around the map for about 1 RL hour,when i came back to my geese setup it had 30+ geese there.
Also, I like hunting geese with a bow,when they eventually spook,do they spook other animals near by?
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: What happens when you have 2 full geese setups?

Post by HooCairs »

I had two mallard locations for a while. I then started at one location and played for some 30-60 minutes, then fast traveled to the other place. Often times when I spawned at the tent of the 2nd location, mallards were already sitting on the water there. Close ones spooked and those further away stayed. Once I realized that a second location steals ducks from potential flocks I removed it immediately. I have only played in one location since.

The decoy attraction to birds is not bound to a player being near by design, and my observations proofed that point. I am not surprised at all that you have geese sitting near unattended decoys.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Frankster

Post by Frankster »

Thanks for the reply. Think I'll just stick with one location for now then.
JDD
Scout

Post by JDD »

I run 2 setups for mallards and 2 setups for geese. It's true they will land at the other. But I don't find it that much of a difference in amount I see or kill.
RickC
Outfitter

Post by RickC »

HooCairs wrote:I had two mallard locations for a while. I then started at one location and played for some 30-60 minutes, then fast traveled to the other place. Often times when I spawned at the tent of the 2nd location, mallards were already sitting on the water there. Close ones spooked and those further away stayed. Once I realized that a second location steals ducks from potential flocks I removed it immediately. I have only played in one location since.

This.

I now just have one duck location as well. Since I had them and and they weren't being used, I added the 2nd spread of duck decoys to the other one. A waste of decoys so I'm told, :oops: but I can hunt ducks without calls quite effectively. :P

I'll not be buying more than one goose setup. I've learned my lesson.
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

RickC wrote:...I now just have one duck location as well. Since I had them and and they weren't being used, I added the 2nd spread of duck decoys to the other one. A waste of decoys so I'm told, :oops: but I can hunt ducks without calls quite effectively. :P

I'll not be buying more than one goose setup. I've learned my lesson.
Yeah, same here. When the ducks came out, I even bought 4 x the full amount of 24 decoys, plus 5 blinds, to install 4 different, 100% atttractive places on the map.

Realizing that this might result in a constant massive competition for ducks between all these locations reducing the available amount in the place where I hunt, I have meanwhile removed everything from 3 places again and distributed all that equipment over just one place. This is probably quite an "overkill", but better than getting deployed from flying ducks....
Shandil
Tracker

Post by Shandil »

I run two setups...and at the far ends oposite each other of the reserve. I dont think it interferes with the flocks as they so far apart. Another reason I have two is that when it goes quite I can hunt other species of animals that roam that area.
Frankster

Post by Frankster »

Shandil wrote:I run two setups...and at the far ends oposite each other of the reserve. I dont think it interferes with the flocks as they so far apart. Another reason I have two is that when it goes quite I can hunt other species of animals that roam that area.
That's what I had in mind too as well as mps
Ditto8353
Tracker

Post by Ditto8353 »

I hosted multiplayer with 2 goose setups most of the weekend. I don't know how the northern location fared, but the southern location had enough geese to keep 6 of us busy.
kragjorgensen

Post by kragjorgensen »

I agree with Mr. HooCairs, his observations match my own. It makes a difference when it comes to flying "objects"...

Return to “General Chat”