First kill

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Jaerah

First kill

Post by Jaerah »

so i was out in the field 3 days before I caught on how to track (note: chasing the deer at full speed wildly shooting off your revolver doesnt work, despite my efforts)

I tracked a small female for around 2 miles in a circle when it dawned on me she was circling me. went up into the deer post, a couple calls later and she came right between the tree line out into the perfect lighting

not happy it was a female but damn did it feel good that I outsmarted a virtual deer.
Jaerah

Re: First kill

Post by Jaerah »

second score, 120lb female again.

where the hell are all the bucks?
chiss

Post by chiss »

bucks are much more edgy. they are also much fewer in numbers. so for starters you are less likely to see one, and even if there is one, its more likely to run.
tracker
Hunter

Post by tracker »

chiss wrote:bucks are much more edgy. they are also much fewer in numbers. so for starters you are less likely to see one, and even if there is one, its more likely to run.
Yep. The does will often walk right up on you. I've had a couple of bucks do this, but they generally bolt without coming so close. I personally like to hunt from the ground. Walk around and listen to the huntermate. You can tell the difference between a buck and a doe call. They sound completely different. When I hear something, I'll face that direction, and lay down. The side of the road works best for this, as it gives you visibility. In a field you need a rock or a clear spot, or you won't be able to see for the grass. Then just use the caller, and they'll usually come over. Another bonus to hunting from prone position, is when you hold your breath, the gun doesn't move hardly at all, which gives you better accuracy.
Arrowslinger
Outfitter

Post by Arrowslinger »

Jaerah wrote: (note: chasing the deer at full speed wildly shooting off your revolver doesnt work, despite my efforts)
Now thats FUN NAY!!!
Through the heart of autumn
TheSapper

Post by TheSapper »

The only real efficient way to hunt the whitetail is laying down from the time you first hear their call or when you find their 3rd set of tracks and decide to call them to you.. they have super sight, hearing, and sound compared to a mule deer.
chiss

Post by chiss »

I completely disagree with most of your tactics - I usually kill 4 or so deer an hour, and i am all about persuit. I very rarely stay still and wait for them to come to me. I push through the forests following trails and sounds.
Jaerah

Post by Jaerah »

i followed trackers advise and did a few calls, sat still and TWO bucks came up to me.

i was on the lower island, this tiny little buck comes up and i pop him square between the eyes. check the kill, bleh. reload.

sit back down, a deerzilla comes walking over the hill. the rack stretched my entire screen. i line the shot up, hold my breath. hes standing perfectly still. fire right between the eyes.

he DOES A 180 AND GALLOPS OFF IN THE OTHER DIRECTION.
Arrowslinger
Outfitter

Post by Arrowslinger »

Jaerah wrote:the rack stretched my entire screen.
LOL Im rollin my pants legs up, gettin DEEP in here ;) :P
Through the heart of autumn
TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

My tactics are as follows.
Walk around, using one full bleat every 200m or so. If I get a call back, I immediately take a knee and head in the direction after returning a full bleat. Occasionally stopping to skim the trees. While I move, I look for a clear spot and as soon as I do I go prone and start calling it over. If I happen to find tracks, I do a full bleat and wait for a response and follow the same tactics.

Return to “General Chat”