Elk Hunting Settler Creeks

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
jimbo
Hunter

Re: Elk Hunting Settler Creeks

Post by jimbo »

All i found and killed were 2 x285 and the spiky ones.It seems that we have a group with 2 elk now cause i came across them twice and they were the same bull elks.But haven't seen the big guy yet.But its to early for conclusions.
Simon m
Chat Logger

Post by Simon m »

Got a call when loading weapons

called & laid some female elk scent..I now have about four or five males milling around the lodge
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

ive seen bull elk in same place everytime ive been on sc .

go to top right in between the two towers and near the little island . theres a logged part and they seem to be around there alot of the time.
Simon m
Chat Logger

Post by Simon m »

got two with shotgun & slugs

184 7/8
68 5/8

there were five in the gang three spikes & two with wider but undeveloped racks

edit

curentely tracking a sixth member of the herd....who knows what size he might be...I guess is was too impatient & shot before he reached my position
jimbo
Hunter

Post by jimbo »

If i was the big guy and everybody was looking for me i would hide in the cave :lol: :lol:
Simon m
Chat Logger

Post by Simon m »

tracked the sixth animal for a while & found him. a spike around 900lbs...left him after I spooked him called & imeadiately a 265+ boy walked out of the tree line....dropped him instead
ScottyG
Scout

Post by ScottyG »

On my first initial hunt on the day of the release (been working ever since) i got a 293 4/8 bull (and it was the only bull i heard or found tracks for) & i got him on the far eastside of the N spawn. But gonna see if i can find any more bulls today, if i get anything half-decent i will post results.
Malacoda
Hunter

Post by Malacoda »

Last night I'm walking north from the southern lodge, along the river on the east side of the island. I see a herd of elk crossing the river. One of the bulls (the farthest one away from me) had an enormous rack, serious scorer I'm thinking. So I crawl up to get a bit closer and a bull (elk with small spikes) that I didn't see to my left comes walking right up to me, sees me and runs, scaring them all away. they all ran up-river, so I start following the tracks. Gotta find that big one. All of their tracks are mixed in together, but it looks like they stayed together, so I follow it north along the river, making calls on occasion. Finally get a response from a bull and it seems like he's probably several hundred yards away, so I'm walking in crouch and as I approach some shrubs the same spike bull comes walking right through the shrubs as if to say "Hey, what's going on over here?". He sees me, runs, and scares the pack away to the northeast again. I don't normally shoot spikes, but at this point I'm considering it. So I follow the tracks to the north again but it looks like they've scattered in different directions. Since they scattered, I follow a particular set of tracks, making calls along the way, and finally get a response from a bull. Turns out it's the dopey one that keeps coming towards me and scaring the group every time I make the calls. If it weren't for the fact that I only had 1 round left in that .44 Magnum, I would have perforated him like a sieve. It was the first time I did a killing out of spite in The Hunter lol.
Evilwuun
Hunter

Post by Evilwuun »

Malacoda wrote:Last night I'm walking north from the southern lodge, along the river on the east side of the island. I see a herd of elk crossing the river. One of the bulls (the farthest one away from me) had an enormous rack, serious scorer I'm thinking. So I crawl up to get a bit closer and a bull (elk with small spikes) that I didn't see to my left comes walking right up to me, sees me and runs, scaring them all away. they all ran up-river, so I start following the tracks. Gotta find that big one. All of their tracks are mixed in together, but it looks like they stayed together, so I follow it north along the river, making calls on occasion. Finally get a response from a bull and it seems like he's probably several hundred yards away, so I'm walking in crouch and as I approach some shrubs the same spike bull comes walking right through the shrubs as if to say "Hey, what's going on over here?". He sees me, runs, and scares the pack away to the northeast again. I don't normally shoot spikes, but at this point I'm considering it. So I follow the tracks to the north again but it looks like they've scattered in different directions. Since they scattered, I follow a particular set of tracks, making calls along the way, and finally get a response from a bull. Turns out it's the dopey one that keeps coming towards me and scaring the group every time I make the calls. If it weren't for the fact that I only had 1 round left in that .44 Magnum, I would have perforated him like a sieve. It was the first time I did a killing out of spite in The Hunter lol.
I've definitely killed me some doe before, out of sheer irritation...kind of like "Well, fine, if you WANT to take his place, we can do that!" On topic, though, I've seen bull elk all OVER S.C. recently. Last night, I came across a "crossroads" of sorts, where the group of three bulls I was tracking crossed an entirely different set of two bulls' tracks. Hard to make up my mind of which to follow, so I headed after the three....never caught up with them before the end of the hunt; I was falling asleep at the keys...
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

ColoradoKid wrote:One bull I shot was a different rack configuration than I had ever shot before. I encountered them NE of the north lodge.
Yes, I also start to think that not only the whitetails (after the patch before SC release), but also the elk are now showing a little more different antler models, but so far I have seen this only on SC, and only for the mediocre No. 2 elk rack (http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14202) type.

It looks as if there existed more antlers than we thought under the old Emote regime already, but for some weird reason they previously did hardly ever spawn. The most obvious case for me are the whitetail spikes, which were extremely rare all the time, but now everybody sees them frequently. The latest changes on the game have somehow set them free. Crazy! :shock: :?: But a nice surprise at the same time! :D

Return to “General Chat”