Pheasant, SxS, Rangefinder & Clay Shooting Feedback

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Lion Martinez
Outfitter

Pheasant, SxS, Rangefinder & Clay Shooting Feedback

Post by Lion Martinez »

Hey all,

Please give your detailed feedback here about the patch. Your word will be carried to the Björn and the team so we can better address any issues and imbalances.

Thanks!

Lion
Trisomy21
Tracker

Re: Pheasant, SxS, Rangefinder & Clay Shooting Feedback

Post by Trisomy21 »

1- I've noticed some pheasants at the waters edge won't flush
2- Sometimes pheasants flee on the ground when you flush them - I think previously spooked pheasants might do this more often.
3- a)Bird shot seems very weak and ineffective at times. Has been an issue with turkey as well.
b)Pheasants fly too high (in my opinion) bird shot would be more effective at lower altitudes.
4- Range Finder: needs a zoom and wider FOV, it can't compete with the binoculars and takes up that slot. Either that or add another slot for it. As it stands it's just a tool for distance comps.
5- SxS is awesome. Some inconsistencies with the animations (like loading 1 shell) etc but personally that doesn't bother me in the least.
Last edited by Trisomy21 on October 13th, 2010, 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
7STW
Outfitter

Post by 7STW »

Lion:

Two observations on clay birds:

1.Compared to say ATA trap birds, these are way too slow.As a result, their flight and trajectory doesn't resemble any 16 yard or handicap bird in trap I've ever seen.For comparison, most regulation clay birds are set in the traps for 50 yards.Their trajectory is much straighter than our current game.Currently, these birds look like handtrap birds thrown by a 12 year old.

2.For those of us a bit color changed, the current orange birds tend to get lost in the green background of the ranges/ fields.One nice touch would be to eliminate (cut down) the trees behind the field of view.You guys do have a virtual chain saw...right? Or possibly offer other color selections on clay birds.

You can't hit them if you can't see them.

Thanks
7STW
Trisomy21
Tracker

Post by Trisomy21 »

I don't mind the trees at all compared to the clouded sky area. That's where they temporarily disappear for me (see image below)
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

birdshot more damage pls ;)
jimbo
Hunter

Post by jimbo »

ronMctube wrote:birdshot more damage pls ;)
+1
Ace78
Scout

Post by Ace78 »

Not used the s x s yet, not got enough penny's to purchase lol Get paid on Friday ;) But I have had a go at the birds and the clays with the pump.
My thoughts are these.

The Clay Shooting
The clay ground is ok but you could do with the choice of double or single targets, also a bit more variation in the flight and trajectory would be nice.
The colour of the clays and the plume of dust is great and as for them being black well how the hell your suppose to see that against a mottled back ground is anyone's guess.
Then there's the back ground, well to be fare you stumbled into this problem your selves, you should have made it like a sporting clay set up to begin with-with say 4 or five stands set over differing back drops etc but I guess a "sort of" trap layout was easier to produce, not that I have a problem with this but the sticklers that want to pick on every detail will defo be on your backs.
To be honest though, the aim of the clays is to practice with the shot guns for shooting at the birds when your out in the game and for that it pretty much serves it's purpose and it's a bit of fun too.
In the future though I would defo like to see a proper attempt at a more varied and challenging sporting clay set up.

The Shot Guns
As I said I've not used the side by side shotty yet but I do hope that it handles better than the pump. I've mentioned this several times before, this gun handles like a 40ft length of steel tube... it's pretty much next to useless and frustrates the hell out of me when I do use it. It's simply not even close to realistic either, no pump is so slow to reload or so slow and cumbersome to move and handle.
Please try sorting this out!

The Ammo, Leading and Shot Patterns (choke)
The bird shot ammo is weaker than rock salt, you may as well be firing bean bags at em. Again something that has been put forward a number of times before and usually in regard to the Turkeys. I use Buck shells for the Turkeys every time but I'm guess that-that will result in an unethical kill on a Pheasant??
So the shot potency and bird damage ratio's need to be looked at and balanced out realistically.
The Leading of a bird, only tried with the pump which is not too easy a task anyway, doesn't really seem to exist as such. Defo not in anything like a realistic sense anyway from what I can make out.? But I'll have to try the sxs to conclude on that one.
Then there's the pattern, now I've hat that barrel pretty close to covering a target, fired an got nothing??? is there an actual pattern or cone of shot?? Is there any actual ballistic algorithms programmed and if so is it really sparse???
If so then it needs addressing.

The Pheasants
Well I could type for days I guess but you guys have come through and done so much hard work and it is after all your first attempt at actual flying game.
And it's a good attempt!! They are kinda fun and not too many miles out from being realistic, but there are a few miles lol Not sure if it's just me that experiences this but when they flush it's all a tad slow and then blow me if they don't do a claymore and shoot up suddenly??
Bu the major issue is the flight, pheasants very rarely if ever twist and turn on rising and they certainly don't do 360's at the top of the flush. They also only tend to maintain level high flight for short distances and then begin to glide down and then occasionally pulse the wings to get extra speed and distance.
They don't circle and they tend only to bank to left or right during a glide, they don't make erratic, sudden or real obvious directional changes during bursts of flight.
Pheasants actually suffer from quite a direct flight pattern, they are lazy bulky fliers that have to rely on their weight, their wings, their tails and most of the time the wind when in the air. The result is smooth un erratic flight with maneuvers produced over distance and more methodical to the larger extent.
That's the average pheasant before people start replying about the one that got away due to amazing acrobatic matrix moves, I know there is always an exception to the rule. :lol:

Anything else I cam think of, I'll let you know ;)
Wetland
Outfitter

Post by Wetland »

I also would like to see the Pheasants fly much lower and in more of a natural ascending rise to about 25 feet off the ground and than level off in flight when flushed the way normal Pheasants do!!! Not go straight up in the air and fly in a circle pattern which is stupid and almost impossible to try and follow and shoot with a Shotgun. Shooting Pheasants is suppose to be Enjoyable and FUN!!! I also wish they would fly away from the hunter or off to the right or left when flushed (we hit the T button) instead of straight up in the air or back towards the hunter and flys right over my head and so I have to turn around and try to find the bird and usually can't even get a shot off in time! This really needs to be fixed! If you do this the Birdshot should be OK for the Pheasant, but probably not for the Turkey? I have always shot 4's on Pheasants, because they are a pretty tough bird and didn't cripple and lose as many Roosters as I would if I used No. 6 shot.

In addition,I think that all of the Pheasants should FLUSH within a reasonable distance of the hunter when we hit the T button instead of running away or just not flushing no matter what the hunter does (like what some are saying occurs when they are near the water).

Wetland
Chepaco
Tracker

Post by Chepaco »

I'll just go ahead and add my agreement with those who think the bird-shot is too weak (and I'd even say that the pattern is too tight). Birds should not be able to fly off after they've been shot regardless to how far they were when they were shot. Also, the clay shooting range is a LOT of fun!!! But way too hard compared to RL, imo. I spent about 10 minutes playing, and only managed to shoot double about a dozen times. That's just not me, since i usually am able to shoot 20 out of 25 with my simple Remington mo. 870 pump (#6 shot).

But even so, everything was fantastic! Although I couldn't find the double rise range. :(
sjc628
Outfitter

Post by sjc628 »

Would it be possible to incorporate the range finder into the binoculars instead of having the separate range finder?

Return to “General Chat”