Pheasant Experience

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
ShadowSep
Team Hunter

Pheasant Experience

Post by ShadowSep »

Just came off my first trip to LP to try out the birds. Bought the caller and the new double barrel, and away I went.

Hunted for about 45 minutes RL time, and flushed about a dozen birds, (I think?). Only got two shots off and missed them both, but that's on me, not the game design. Here's my thoughts:

1. I agree with another poster that the mutated beetles and other 2D flying stuff makes it a bit rough picking up the birds, but it's not game breaking, you just have to adjust. This is more of a minor annoyance, than any kind of big deal

2. Like Colorado, I do believe it was has said, when you get too close, they birds seem to zig and zag in erratic patterns. This reminded me more of flushing doves than it did pheasants, but it was funny nonetheless. When I was too close, I never did manage to get the gun up in time to get a shot. Again, not a complaint, just an observation.

3. I ended up having a downpour during my session, so while I could locate the birds just fine with the caller, I had some problems getting them to flush. I could see them on the ground, but I then lost them in the grass. (NOTE - I won't shoot a bird on the ground, this is a personal choice, so please don't crucify me over it)

4. It seems I'd get a lot more runners than I would flyers. Even when whistling.

All in all, I like the pheasants more than I thought I would. Like I said, I only fired the gun twice, but that's my fault, not the game's. I just have to readjust my tactics a bit. Hopefully all of you are having fun with this update.
Last edited by NAOutdoors on October 13th, 2010, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language
ColoradoKid
Master Competitor

Re: Pheasant Experience

Post by ColoradoKid »

Hey good to hear, Shadow. I started running around at first, then a few other mistakes and it may have been well over an hour till I got my first shot. Now it seems I down around 4 roosters an hour. My guess..next hunt you will drop a few! I like how it is styled completely different form the other animals. For the deer/coyotes, etc it is difficult getting a shot...but the shot is easy to make.

Here, finding them is easier ...but the shooting is difficult...at least there are a lot of targets! :lol:
ShadowSep
Team Hunter

Post by ShadowSep »

Well, tried again tonight, and I've come to the conclusion that I just suck at hunting pheasants in this game. I'm completely worthless in my approach to even getting a shot, let alone killing these things.

I use the caller, and I locate the area the bird is in. From there, it all pretty much goes into the toilet. I either never see the pheasant, or else I get to the area, whistle, and then just stare into space. Hunted for about an hour tonight, and though I was able to "locate" several pheasants, I saw none. I tried this two different ways. The first method was that I'd walk into the area where the HM said the birds were, and then I'd whistle. Nothing. One time, about 4 flushed, but they were completely in the opposite direction the HM indicated they were in. So, no shot granted.

The second method I used was after I got the HM confirmation, I'd try to locate the birds in the grass. This worked twice, but by the time I was able to get into shotgun range, they were either gone, or ran away to somewhere else. I'm having major problems getting these birds to flush.

Understand this: I'm not here ranting and crying about not being able to hunt the birds. I'm only posting my experiences over the past two days trying to hunt them. I know for a fact that they're able to be shot because I watched Colorado's video where he was crushing them over and over. So it's not the game, it's me. I'm frustrated, but I'll eventually kill one of these birds at some point.
Harbard
Scout

Post by Harbard »

I'm doing the same as you explained in your "first method", but when I am very near to the last pheasant call given by the Huntermate I raise the shotgun, look a bit around trying to locate them, if it doesnt work I keep walking with my shotgun still raised, eventually i often get one to flush or I whistle. I can see them and get into a shoot position almost every time, then that's my shooting which is to blame, I manage to get one out of 3 or 4 birds lets say 7 times out of ten. My shotgun stats are going down a bit since the pheasants were impemented but I guess i'll get better.

I hope this can help you :)
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

ShadowSep wrote:Well, tried again tonight, and I've come to the conclusion that I just suck at hunting pheasants in this game. I'm completely worthless in my approach to even getting a shot, let alone killing these things.
Could have been my words after my first few hunts on the birds - but also we old slow guys get better with time, believe me. :D
Astriir1

Post by Astriir1 »

Hit up the traps for a bit before every session. Start one hour earlier before you usually do, after a few days it will be near impossible for you to miss at range.
Astriir1

Post by Astriir1 »

P.S.

Don't shoot the bugs!

honeywest
Team Hunter

Post by honeywest »

I went in LP yesterday with the SxS and out of 30 shots I got 3 birds. :o :? :lol: I thought I got them all in the air, but one was too close to the ground. I had a ton of fun! I am sure I will get better. Kid, your videos are great and were very helpful to me. Thanks! Today I was on Whitehart with the pump and almost got two turkeys with one shot (hit them both, but one started flying off). Got the second shot on the second bird in the air! Wow, that was exciting too! Boy the pheasants are quite beautiful, great artwork! The SxS is one beautiful gun too. I am having tons of fun with this update! :D
ShadowSep
Team Hunter

Post by ShadowSep »

HoneyWest - Glad that you're having fun with this update...I am as well. Admittedly a lot more fun than I thought I would. I finally managed to kill some birds last night. Shot one out of the air, and also one on the ground.

The one on the ground doesn't really feel like an accomplishment though, and I do feel slightly guilty for doing it. Not very sporting at all, but when you've taken about 50 shots at these things and only killed one, well, sometimes the evilness in men come out! :lol:
smooow2
Tracker

Post by smooow2 »

i am to poor at the moment to go and buy all the new kit and guy but i do have a trusty pump action with 6 shoot capacity so i was optimistic at least, so i went out in search of the new birds, the first thing i see is a white tail buck he fell for 180 /48 my new pb this put me in a very good mood: i made it upto the top fields and heard my fist call, found 6 of them in a patch on the side of the hill, i decided to see how close i could get before they flew i got with 25 yards and jumped up and unloaded 6 rounds pump action style at them, dropped two together got the next one as it took off, then the last 3 were in the air as i unloaded the rest at them flying 1 fell from the sky as the other two flew away. lol lol 4 birds first try.
just see them as smaller turkeys just as stupid, get ya pump action out and go give them hell....

Return to “General Chat”