Miscellaneous Game Questions

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Operation_Petticoat

Miscellaneous Game Questions

Post by Operation_Petticoat »

I have a few burning questions about the game. I'm sure there are ready answers among the group.

1) Does rain provide any visual/sound/scent cover for the player?

2) What is the attraction strength of a waterfowl long-range caller? Is it equivalent to a regular decoy? A flapping-wing decoy? Some other strength? If I have a near-full spread of decoys, is it worth carrying around the caller?

3) In Timbergold Trails, what happens to the crows when you spook them away from a carcass? Do they go to another carcass, or just fly off map and despawn? I've never had them return to a carcass once I've spooked them.

4) I've read somewhere that a pointer dog assigned to search for prey essentially becomes invisible to animals on map and will not spook wandering animals. Is there any truth to that? I've tried sitting on a stand for deer and sending my dog to search for rabbits in order to avoid spooking a called deer, but I'm really not sure if that works.

5) Similar question for a retriever. Will a retriever assigned to collect dead geese prevent additional flocks from breaking to a call, or spook geese that have already broken?

6) Are there any end-of-season prizes for animals on the Leaderboard, or is it just bragging rights? I ask because, and I don't want to brag <sly smile flits across his face>, I just shot a 278 water buffalo that came on the leaderboard at #2. I was in the comp too, but it's Starter level so there was no payout. :( I see it's already moved down to #5, but I didn't really expect to be up there in the first place. I take it the next season just started, in the past week or so? The animals on my sig seem to have reset as well.

I await the Wisdom of the Great Oracle.
trulight
Scout

Re: Miscellaneous Game Questions

Post by trulight »

Operation_Petticoat wrote:I have a few burning questions about the game. I'm sure there are ready answers among the group.

Yes

2) What is the attraction strength of a waterfowl long-range caller? Is it equivalent to a regular decoy? A flapping-wing decoy? Some other strength? If I have a near-full spread of decoys, is it worth carrying around the caller?
It stacks with the decoys, and i've seen it pull from at least 150m for breaks.

3) In Timbergold Trails, what happens to the crows when you spook them away from a carcass? Do they go to another carcass, or just fly off map and despawn? I've never had them return to a carcass once I've spooked them.
Not sure

4) I've read somewhere that a pointer dog assigned to search for prey essentially becomes invisible to animals on map and will not spook wandering animals. Is there any truth to that? I've tried sitting on a stand for deer and sending my dog to search for rabbits in order to avoid spooking a called deer, but I'm really not sure if that works.
Not entirely accurate Think of your dog doing exactly what you do as it mimics you so if your standing it will stand and zoom around spooking just like you, if your crouching it will be crouching, if your prone it will be prone etc etc, pointers have their own little thing they can get up on animals without spooking them, but an animal will eventually notice them and flee.

5) Similar question for a retriever. Will a retriever assigned to collect dead geese prevent additional flocks from breaking to a call, or spook geese that have already broken?
Depends on the geese, canada goose will spook if the dog is in the field in full camo, and magpie will some of the time.

6) Are there any end-of-season prizes for animals on the Leaderboard, or is it just bragging rights? I ask because, and I don't want to brag <sly smile flits across his face>, I just shot a 278 water buffalo that came on the leaderboard at #2. I was in the comp too, but it's Starter level so there was no payout. :( I see it's already moved down to #5, but I didn't really expect to be up there in the first place. I take it the next season just started, in the past week or so? The animals on my sig seem to have reset as well.
Just bragging rights.

I await the Wisdom of the Great Oracle.
Jonas93
Spotter

Post by Jonas93 »

You need both the full spread of decoys + the Long Range Caller or Wingflap to maximise your chances of geese coming down.
If you're playing with a partner on multiplayer using bozh wing flap and caller will additionally increase the chance (both stack).
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Jonas93 wrote:You need both the full spread of decoys + the Long Range Caller or Wingflap to maximise your chances of geese coming down.
If you're playing with a partner on multiplayer using bozh wing flap and caller will additionally increase the chance (both stack).
Totally Bad Advice, If anyone but the host calls, it will glitch out the birds, and they will stop breaking. It's a known bug, but a lot of us are assuming it was put in to stop farming gm$ on 24/7 servers, where the host just idles. If the host is the only one calling they work fine the whole session, minute anyone else uses a caller, it will bug the session out. You might get one or two flocks to break from the group, then they will stop until the server is restarted.

https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... ch#p986613
Jonas93
Spotter

Post by Jonas93 »

Sorry for the mistake. It's just what I read on the wiki :/ never tried it so I'd better not give advice.
Bort
Scout

Post by Bort »

Yes. All 3 are reduced a little. Animals are less likely to spook as close as they might when it's not raining.

https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Callers
|Quote from the page linked above|""The callers have a reach of 220 meters. An exception is the Jackrabbit caller that only attracts felines up to 100 meters."|/Quote|

See this page on Waterfowl hunting:
https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Waterfowling

I don't know for sure. I never looked into it in a game while I was playing on that map. The wiki page for Timbergold might have information on that. I *think* they fly out of render range and despawn. I'm not positive I'm right about that though.

I can't answer these with confidence my thoughts are accurate either. This may also be answered on the wiki page. Sounds like visiting the wiki will answer a lot of question you have you may not have included here.

No rewards. Just bragging rights and being proud of ourselves we've managed to harvest a high-scoring animal.
Seasons progress to a new season every 3 months. Yes, it did just change to a new season in the beginning of December. The next Season will start in the beginning of March. The exact dates of when this new season started and the one in March will start were shared in a recent post by a moderator of these forums. Sorry I'm not motivated to look for that info again to give exact info on the dates. Maybe someone else is motivated to do that or remembers/knows and will share the exact dates in their response.

Here's what the Wiki says about Seasons, which unfortunately hasn't been updated to share the new 3 month schedule:
https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Seasons

I used the search feature on the wiki to find these links for you.
Operation_Petticoat

Post by Operation_Petticoat »

Thanks for the responses. I have gone through the Wiki pages pretty thoroughly before asking.

Let me clarify my second question. I am not asking about the range of the caller, I am asking about how strongly it attracts the fowl. For example, a full spread of 24 decoys provides 24/24 attraction, or the maximum obtainable from decoys. Adding a 25th decoy does not provide more attraction.

However, using a long-range caller does stack with the decoys. Does it raise the attraction level to 25/24? 30/24? How much does it add?

And, one more new question. If I had some cockamamie ideas for events, where is the best place to submit them? Is there a link to the devs, or just put them out on the forum for public derision?
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Operation_Petticoat wrote: Let me clarify my second question. I am not asking about the range of the caller, I am asking about how strongly it attracts the fowl. For example, a full spread of 24 decoys provides 24/24 attraction, or the maximum obtainable from decoys. Adding a 25th decoy does not provide more attraction.
My short answer: Not enough to predict with 100% accuracy, not enough to break every flock, not enough to perfectly satisfy player.

My less short answer:
I suggest watching HooCares comprehensive YouTube tutorial also found on the wiki for attracting waterfowl as he lays out all you need to know as far as maximizing attractiveness with decoys. My guess is that anyone wanting to quantify attraction is looking for 100% predictability. That's not going to happen. I'd suggest to simply maximize your attraction power, setting up a full spread + callers as outlined in the tutorials in the wiki.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

When I scare away crows I always claim the body. I don't get any credit for it but it gets rid of the body and the crows won't come back.

Crows never made sense to me. Why do they just fly around the body making annoying noise and never come down to feed on the carcass?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

OldMtnMan wrote:When I scare away crows I always claim the body. I don't get any credit for it but it gets rid of the body and the crows won't come back.

Crows never made sense to me. Why do they just fly around the body making annoying noise and never come down to feed on the carcass?
From what I remember, the crows are there to indicate a carcass which normally (?) attracts wolves...I too pick them up
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)

Return to “General Chat”