Weapon Performance Charts

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
JDD
Scout

Re: Weapon Performance Charts

Post by JDD »

Impressive charts! Well done.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

OldMtnMan wrote:
nachthexe wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:.308 is way too strong. As is 7mm-08 HP.

I question the 9.3x74R too. I saw a recoil chart with that cartridge on it and it's a soft shooting round. That indicates way less power than what it has in game. You can get power without recoil. You can make it feel better with stock design, recoil pads etc but recoil charts don't measure that. They just measure recoil. Not felt recoil.

How were those charts measured?
You consider a round developed for Africa during the Age of German colonialism and still allowed in many big game reserves for Cape Buffalo a soft shooting round? Interesting. The round is somewhat known for milder recoil considering its power.
I found a more reliable recoil chart and it's got recoil at 34 lbs for a 286gr bullet. That's more like it when looking how it performs in Classic. 34 lbs is equal to a .338 mag. A hard kicking strong round.

Where did you read it had a soft recoil? I guess it is soft compared to the other elephant guns. I had a Win .458 mag that knocked off my hat the first time I shot it. It was going to be my grizzly charge stopper while working my buddy's gold claim on a small river in Alaska. That .458 was brutal. It shot a 500gr bullet. Knocked the snot out of anything in Africa. I bought it from an African hunter. Beautiful gun. Weighed a ton. It had 62 lbs of recoil. Almost twice the 9.3x74R.
Ron Spomer's site had an article about the 9.3s. https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/ ... cartridges
Code: Select all
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

A really interesting article. Then again, Ron's articles usually are. Thanks for posting it. Not sure how I missed it?

I see where soft shooting came from. It's soft compared to the other African cartridges which some of them are brutal in recoil. However, 35lbs of recoil for the 9.3x74R is not a soft shooter. It's been written many times the 30-06 is the limit that most hunters want to handle for recoil. That's about 20lbs. The 9.3 is almost twice that. I can't describe it as soft shooting.
It is fun talking ballistics and recoil though. I always enjoy it and probably the reason I enjoyed reloading so much.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

OldMtnMan wrote:A really interesting article. Then again, Ron's articles usually are. Thanks for posting it. Not sure how I missed it?

I see where soft shooting came from. It's soft compared to the other African cartridges which some of them are brutal in recoil. However, 35lbs of recoil for the 9.3x74R is not a soft shooter. It's been written many times the 30-06 is the limit that most hunters want to handle for recoil. That's about 20lbs. The 9.3 is almost twice that. I can't describe it as soft shooting.
It is fun talking ballistics and recoil though. I always enjoy it and probably the reason I enjoyed reloading so much.
Well speaking of 9.3x74R allow me to introduce you to the possibly most infamous weapon using the round the Luftwaffe Drilling:
https://youtu.be/LnHW3-aDP30
Code: Select all
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

nachthexe wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:A really interesting article. Then again, Ron's articles usually are. Thanks for posting it. Not sure how I missed it?

Well speaking of 9.3x74R allow me to introduce you to the possibly most infamous weapon using the round the Luftwaffe Drilling:
Very nice informative and interesting video and thanks for sharing. 8-)
Spoiler:
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Thank you Hoo!! Much appreciated!!
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Thanks for your dedication, Hoo!
I've always thought the ml pistol was useless with the copper bullets and it seems that indeed it is, for whatever reason...
Spoiler:
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

nachthexe wrote:

That was a really interesting video. Love it.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I agree. Good video.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

OldMtnMan wrote:I agree. Good video.
You sent me a private message but I cannot respond. You have this disabled.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”