7mm-08 Scout vs 7mm magnum Bullpup

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
herajika
Tracker

Re: 7mm-08 Scout vs 7mm magnum Bullpup

Post by herajika »

Mattb85 wrote:
herajika wrote:Scout rifle has very serious problems with usability. Ironicay bipod forces you to shot while crouching most of the time as it automatically deploys while prone. And it has most expensive ammo of all rifles. It's a fun rifle, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't take it as my main long range gun.

7mm magnum is pretty standard gun by performance in this game. Good, but nothing extraordinary. If to choose between these two, I would take it. But frankly there's better rifles. Like .308, which is a beast. Extraordinary penetration. Or .30R break-action, which is a favorite of mine. Kills any permitted species without any problem and has fastest follow-up shot if needed.
How does the 308, 30R, and 7mm mag compare when it comes to bullet drop over 250 meters?
They all have pretty flat trajectory. I haven't done direct comparison though, so I can't say which is better in that regard.
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

OldMtnMan wrote:
herajika wrote:Scout rifle has very serious problems with usability. Ironicay bipod forces you to shot while crouching most of the time as it automatically deploys while prone. And it has most expensive ammo of all rifles. It's a fun rifle, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't take it as my main long range gun.

7mm magnum is pretty standard gun by performance in this game. Good, but nothing extraordinary. If to choose between these two, I would take it. But frankly there's better rifles. Like .308, which is a beast. Extraordinary penetration. Or .30R break-action, which is a favorite of mine. Kills any permitted species without any problem and has fastest follow-up shot if needed.
Pretty sad that the .308 is outperforming the 7mm mag. They really got that one wrong. The .308 can't even beat the 30-06 in real life.
.308 doesn't out perform 7mm mag at long range. Am not into long range shooting in the game, mainly done the calling in for others who do, he best ask those who do do it consistently. Other issue with .308 in game is doesn't take the Eagle scope.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

herajika wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:

Pretty sad that the .308 is outperforming the 7mm mag. They really got that one wrong. The .308 can't even beat the 30-06 in real life.
It was overcompensation. .308 was horrible rifle, that sometimes couldn't penetrate animal skin from point blank. That was because it shared ammo with .308 pistol. They separated ammo for rifles and pistols and buffed rifle ammo beyond any realistic possibility. Now it could pass through brown bear from head up to butt with a shot from 200m. I stopped using it because frankly it's kind of ridiculous.
Ok, I can see how it happened now. Too bad.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Mattb85
Spotter

Post by Mattb85 »

I ended up buying the 7mm magnum Bullpup... it won simply because it looks cooler. My buddy bought the 308 and yes, it's much more powerful than the 7mm which is just silly!
Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

OldMtnMan wrote:The .308 can't even beat the 30-06 in real life.
Ahh the age old debate. While the .308 is a more popular choice here in Europe there's no real difference between them that would effect a person to lean towards either one in hunting applications. Track rounds for .308 are bit cheaper and it's more pleasant to shoot but that only becomes a factor if you put hundreds of rounds out there in a day. (I'v shot both on track, I own a 30-06)
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Andhii wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:The .308 can't even beat the 30-06 in real life.
Ahh the age old debate. While the .308 is a more popular choice here in Europe there's no real difference between them that would effect a person to lean towards either one in hunting applications. Track rounds for .308 are bit cheaper and it's more pleasant to shoot but that only becomes a factor if you put hundreds of rounds out there in a day. (I'v shot both on track, I own a 30-06)
I've owned both too. Many of them. The advantage of the 30-06 is it can use heavier bullets. The advantage of the .308 is it uses a shorter action. Both were developed for the military. The .308 was suppose to replace the 30-06 with the same power but a shorter action. It did the action ok but fell short on power.

Neither of which matter in the game. Especially, when the .308 has the power of the .300 mag.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Mattb85
Spotter

Post by Mattb85 »

BTW if anyone else is curious, there are some advantages to the 7mm bullpup over the 308 in this game. The bullpup appears to have a faster rate of fire (could be wrong), it can use the 5.5-22x56 scope, is flatter shooting, and the fact that it can be used for Bison is a big help for leveling the skill for this gun. You can really dump the rounds into a bison (just keep shooting until they go down) and each hit counts for experience so leveling this skill is much easier than the 308.
FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

I don't want to start another thread so I'm gonna ask here. Is the 7mm-08 Scout good for hunting varmint at long distances, or should I stick with the old .243 in this case ? I'm curious because with the .243 if you do a body shot to a bobcat for example, that's pretty much a goner, it won't die. The 7mm-08 HV bullets seam to be more powerful than those of a .243, at least from their description and the scout rifle also has the advantage you can equip the Eagle Mk I scope, plus a deployable bipod in prone position.

Cheers.
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

FullDiesel wrote:I don't want to start another thread so I'm gonna ask here. Is the 7mm-08 Scout good for hunting varmint at long distances, or should I stick with the old .243 in this case ? I'm curious because with the .243 if you do a body shot to a bobcat for example, that's pretty much a goner, it won't die. The 7mm-08 HV bullets seam to be more powerful than those of a .243, at least from their description and the scout rifle also has the advantage you can equip the Eagle Mk I scope, plus a deployable bipod in prone position.

Cheers.
Yes. It much more powerful, so you wouldn't have much problem with making a kill. But bipod isn't advantage sadly. It's very inconvenient to use and it's automatic when prone which makes it huge disadvantage as it restricts aiming angles.
FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

Thanks for your answer @herajika. I think I'm gonna get the Scout rifle and see how it goes.
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)

Return to “General Chat”