30R Is A Good Gun

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: 30R Is A Good Gun

Post by JimboCrow »

OldMtnMan wrote:Lever guns are fun to shoot. I had a nice 30-30 I loved. Too bad they made the one in game a bit weak.
Hey Pete, I don't know if you own it, but the .30-06 Lever Action is very good in the game. It's so much better than the .30-30 (more than it actually should be) and is permitted for a number of larger species that the .30-30 is not.

I know you prefer single shot elk hunting, but as BCKidd noted, it's a great gun for quick follow-ups. And for packs of coyotes and wolves the .30-06 is a TON OF FUN for sure. I use it on TGT for elk, grizzlies, wolves, pumas, muleys, and bighorn sheep. It is a wonderful gun in the game.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

You're going to hate what i'm about to say Jimbo. The .30-06 lever gun in game doesn't exist in real life. I'm picky about that stuff. They have the gun listed as an 1873. That gun has a weak action and was built for pistol cartridges like the 44-40. You'd have a pipe bomb if you shot a 30-06 round in it.
They should have used the 1895 gun for .30-06. The same gun that uses the .405 cartridge.

If they had made the 30-30 as powerful as the real one it would have been a great deer rifle. It could be used on elk with proper shot placement and distance.
Last edited by OldMtnMan on June 30th, 2022, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Agreed . The 30.06 lever was one of the first guns introduced into the game by the original developers. Pointy nosed bullets in a tube magazine?. They had little or no idea about how guns worked. But then they never pretended to.
It was however, a great gun, in game, in its time and of course they have at least upgraded to correct ammo ( if not also a box magazine ).
But the current 30r does cover all the same animals anyway, and has better scope options and is flatter shooting.

I have long since passed up on the 30.06 myself, since the 7mm mag bullpup came out I dont think its been out of the lodge.
But Now I have to admit the 7mm mag has more or less suffered the same fate as the 30.06 lever with me, due to the advent of the 30r.
But I must also admit the lever action is still great in game, so now I use the 45.70 whenever I need a fast shooting howitzer.
I still love the original 243 for the light to medium animals though, and have all 3 versions in my inventory.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

DanthemanBoone wrote:But the current 30r does cover all the same animals anyway, ...
I have that stuck in my head and keep shooting coyotes with the 30R, which is the exception for some reason. Doc really likes me by now.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Doc never fails to let us know we screwed up. What a pest.

My eye was killing me and I was typing fast. Sorry for typing .36 instead of 30-06. I fixed it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

HooCairs wrote:
DanthemanBoone wrote:But the current 30r does cover all the same animals anyway, ...
I have that stuck in my head and keep shooting coyotes with the 30R, which is the exception for some reason. Doc really likes me by now.
LOL. Never even thought of coyotes. Only ever actively hunt them once a season for my signature. Otherwise just pop them with the 243 if they happen to cross my path.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

OldMtnMan wrote:You're going to hate what i'm about to say Jimbo. The .30-06 lever gun in game doesn't exist in real life. I'm picky about that stuff. They have the gun listed as an 1873. That gun has a weak action and was built for pistol cartridges like the 44-40. You'd have a pipe bomb if you shot a 30-06 round in it.
They should have used the 1895 gun for .30-06. The same gun that uses the .405 cartridge.

If they had made the 30-30 as powerful as the real one it would have been a great deer rifle. It could be used on elk with proper shot placement and distance.
Hey Pete, how did your surgery go? How are you feeling? Hope all is well.

I don't hate anything you say Pete. Very few people here have your experience or knowledge, and it's always good to learn from you.

I never owned a .30-06 lever action IRL, but I did have a .30-06 bolt action, and my brother-in-law had a .30-30 lever action so I know the difference. He used it with great success, and it was closer in power to my .30-06 than it is in the game. I always said on this forum that the .30-30 was underpowered, and I railed against it when it was introduced that way. I bought it the day it was released and have been disappointed, like you, ever since.

Not so with the .30-06 Lever Action. I still love that gun, no matter what the developers meant it to be or what they missed. It's a great gun in the game, and I use it for way more than filling up my signature (minus the Magpie and Snow Goose of course. :roll: ) I recommend you give it a try, just for the fun of it. You never know, you might be surprised like you were with the .30R. (There should be a range for testing all of the weapons in the game before we purchase them.)

Get well soon Pete. Jimbo :)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I did own it Jimbo in a past account. It is a good gun. It's only after looking at it closer that I discovered they put the 30-06 cartridge on the wrong lever gun. I wanted to stick to just one gun for all my hunting for this account. I picked the 30R to do it. I had a weak moment and bought the caplock again to give it one more chance but it let me down again. I'll be staying with the 30R from now on. I really like the gun.

Operation went good and i'm healing up. I'm surprised I can see this much better. That cataract must have been really bad. That's enough messing with my eyes. 5 operations on my right eye and it went bling anyway. What a waste of time and money. Now, this operation on my right eye. That's enough. I just want to hunt now.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Nice to hear you have a good result from your surgery. Heres hoping it continues to improve with time and the healing process.

So Jimbo. You noticed I have no Snow geese or Magpies. Guess what. I never will. I have no gear for them and don't intend to get any. Seems a waste to spend all that currency on what is basically the same as the Canadians and the Ducks.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Nice to hear you have a good result from your surgery. Heres hoping it continues to improve with time and the healing process.

So Jimbo. You noticed I have no Snow geese or Magpies. Guess what. I never will. I have no gear for them and don't intend to get any. Seems a waste to spend all that currency on what is basically the same as the Canadians and the Ducks.
Hey Dan, you don't have to buy anything if you don't want to. I have all the necessary equipment and would gladly host a few MP games so that you can give either or both a try. Or you could buy one small Magpie setup with gm$ from doing a few Missions, like I did, and then earn all of those gm$ and plenty more back from harvesting them. They both pay very well, but the Magpies are definitely better. At least you'll complete your signature. ;) :D

But seriously, from the standpoint of gameplay, they're enough different from each other, and from either the Canadas or the ducks, to make the investment of time (and gm$) worth your while. And after that? they quite literally pay for themselves, and then some. Send me a PM if you'd like to give it a try, I promise you won't be disappointed. You never know, you might even like it!! ;) Good Hunting to you Dan. Jimbo. :)

EDIT: I've just opened up an MP game on Picabeen Bay and I'm hunting Magpies. PM me for the password and we'll give it a go eh?!! All you need is a shotgun!! :lol:

Return to “General Chat”