New Distance For Caplock.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
calamar2000
Hunter

Re: New Distance For Caplock.

Post by calamar2000 »

slightly flat in my opinion. in general rather flat but at 10 or 30m ready...
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

with my father it was about 80 m long ago! lol!
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I really underestimating the range of the caplock in game. I'll have to try some longer shots but i'll sneak up on the distance. I'll try 70m at first. I really don't want to just wound an elk.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

calamar2000 wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:No idea the range is that far. What did you kill at those ranges? Was it flat ground? Can you show the report I showed for those shots?

Thanks.
Hi Pete, I too was amazed when I saw my stats! and yet (https://www.thehunter.com/fr/#profile/c ... s/lifetime) I don't shoot more than 100m with the caplock
I think it was at "val des bois" a bear or a red deer but
my memory and my age are playing tricks on me! can be BCkidd little
know how to find?
Sincerely ;)
I would have to look through your hunt history, jus' like you would have to. Sorry. But, that stat shows it. ;) Respectfully,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'm disgusted with the caplock. It's pulled it's tricks on me for the last time. Here's how it always goes and just did again.

A bull elk is walking towards me. At 20m I shoot just a hair from center chest. It should be a lung-liver-stomach-shot. The game calls it a body shot. That's impossible. No way to not hit a vital. I walk up to where it was hit and there's a huge puddle of bright red blood. A lung hit and with the power the caplock has at 20m it would also have drove through the liver and stomach. Impossible to be a body hit. 5 tracks had big puddles of blood. The the blood stopped and the tracks turned into fleeing. 5 -6 more tracks and they turn into roaming. 3-4 roaming tracks and they stop completely. A killing shot is not only called a body shot but after 45 min of tracking the elk is gone forever. Registered as a hit but no kill and a good bull lost that would have moved me up the completion.

The caplock is the only gun that does this to me. I tried to stay positive about using it again and be extra careful with shot placement and it kicks me in the nuts again. No more for me. I just threw it in the junk pile.

I was going to use the caplock as a reason for continuing to hunt in Classic. With two new hunting games coming and one only weeks away. I knew they don't have muzzleloaders, so Classic was going to be my muzzy hunting. Now I have to wonder why i'd hunt classic anymore if the other two games turn out good. We'll have to see how it goes but i'm really disappointed in Classic and the caplock.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

OldMtnMan wrote:I'm disgusted with the caplock. It's pulled it's tricks on me for the last time. Here's how it always goes and just did again.

A bull elk is walking towards me. At 20m I shoot just a hair from center chest. It should be a lung-liver-stomach-shot. The game calls it a body shot. That's impossible. No way to not hit a vital. I walk up to where it was hit and there's a huge puddle of bright red blood. A lung hit and with the power the caplock has at 20m it would also have drove through the liver and stomach. Impossible to be a body hit. 5 tracks had big puddles of blood. The the blood stopped and the tracks turned into fleeing. 5 -6 more tracks and they turn into roaming. 3-4 roaming tracks and they stop completely. A killing shot is not only called a body shot but after 45 min of tracking the elk is gone forever. Registered as a hit but no kill and a good bull lost that would have moved me up the completion.

The caplock is the only gun that does this to me. I tried to stay positive about using it again and be extra careful with shot placement and it kicks me in the nuts again. No more for me. I just threw it in the junk pile.

I was going to use the caplock as a reason for continuing to hunt in Classic. With two new hunting games coming and one only weeks away. I knew they don't have muzzleloaders, so Classic was going to be my muzzy hunting. Now I have to wonder why i'd hunt classic anymore if the other two games turn out good. We'll have to see how it goes but i'm really disappointed in Classic and the caplock.
Always sucks to lose an animal - especially that way - but I'm gonna guess that you looking to take longer shots with the caplock with iron sights is an indication that the eye surgery was successful?
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

No, it was really blurry for long shots. I should have waited until after the surgery. The surgery is today. I'm hoping for the best results.

I could see the above 20M shot ok though. Open sights give us a 2X power magnification, so the elk looked big at 20M. I didn't miss. No problem. I'll just use the 30R from now on.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

OldMtnMan wrote:No, it was really blurry for long shots. I should have waited until after the surgery. The surgery is today. I'm hoping for the best results.

I could see the above 20M shot ok though. Open sights give us a 2X power magnification, so the elk looked big at 20M. I didn't miss. No problem. I'll just use the 30R from now on.
Good Luck with your surgery Pete. We are all hoping for the very best results for you.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Thank you.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
mel_o_mel
Tracker