Wounded Moose

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Hunter

Wounded Moose

Postby OldMtnMan » May 13th, 2022, 11:52 am

I'm in a hunt right now at Whiterime. I just shot a bull moose and in trying for the heart I shot too low. I tracked it and caught up with it. It's walking real slow with it's head hanging low. It will stop and shake it's head and then start walking slow again. Will it die, recover, or keep doing this forever?

I never had this situation in real hunting but i'm sure if I wounded an animal I would shoot it again and end it's suffering. If I do that in this game the 1st will be recorded as a hit but not killed. I'm trying to avoid that and keep 100% as long as I can. Besides pixels don't feel pain.

Should I wait it out or shoot it again and move on?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Long live Hunter Classic.
OldMtnMan
Hunter

Re: Wounded Moose

Postby OldMtnMan » May 13th, 2022, 12:12 pm

Ok, never mind. The moose made the decision for me. All of a sudden it took off at what looked like full speed. That made me mad and I went after it. I finally caught up to and it's walking slow again with it's head hanging down. I wasn't going for it this time and put it out of it's pixel misery.

I was hoping for a quick answer from one of you but the moose answered the question. So much for keeping 100%. I give up on that. It seems impossible.

Carry on.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

mel_o_mel
Tracker

Postby mel_o_mel » May 13th, 2022, 4:46 pm

If it's been more than 5 or 10 minutes since you shot it, and especially if it has stopped bleeding you're likely to need a second shot to kill it.

I've had this happen a couple of times recently. After tracking one bull elk over a kilometer I was becoming convinced I must have gotten my bull's tracks mixed up with another's as there had not been blood in quite some time. I decided to track a bit further and the next time the tracks returned to a roaming state I stopped and did some calling. After a couple minutes with no answering call I started to follow the trail again. Within a few steps I saw an elk, and was relieved to see that it was the bull I had wounded. I'm glad that I didn't turn back too soon and that I was able to positively identify it by those wounded animations.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
OldMtnMan
Hunter

Postby OldMtnMan » May 13th, 2022, 5:05 pm

I was up to following it for at least 20min. Maybe more before it took off. I don't believe it would have ever died. Serves me right for going for a heart shot instead of my normal double lung.

I don't know of any real hunter that goes for just a heart shot. I'm not sure why I did it but this game has me do a lot of things I wouldn't in real hunting. It only proves to me that i've done things the right way in real hunting. Shooting pixels gets me careless. I don't like that either. I prefer to give pixels the same respect I gave real animals. It makes the game more immersive for me and I need to get back to that attitude.

Thanks for your post.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

BaiPe6o
Scout

Postby BaiPe6o » May 14th, 2022, 3:38 am

Keeping 100% kill rate is impossible. Trust me. I'm still trying to do that and I even have success with several weapons, but sometimes it's not in your control. There are bugs in the game you know. Sometimes it's impossible to harvest a dead animal, connection loses, invisible dead animals, problems with the server and not registering your harvest, wrong hit boxes and so on. I'm saying that it's a matter of time to lose that perfect stats no matter how good you play the game, so don't be disappointed. I'm still doing my best to keep the 100% hit accuracy though. Somehow if I miss a shot with some of my favorite guns and that 100% dissapear, I would not like that gun the same anymore :roll: :lol:
Spoiler:

OldMtnMan
Hunter

Postby OldMtnMan » May 14th, 2022, 7:24 am

I wish they didn't even show the hit and kill stats. What purpose do they serve? In my case it takes away some of the fun. I used to get upset if any of the guns/bows dropped below 99%. It bothered me so much i'd have my account deleted and start over again. That cost me a lot of money.

I don't believe I ever dropped below 98% and now i'm looking at the .340 at 77%. I can't stand looking at it even though I know the game is at fault and not me. It's still my stat and i'm responsible for it.

I don't know what to do about it. It bothers me.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

OldMtnMan
Hunter

Postby OldMtnMan » May 14th, 2022, 10:37 am

Not being one to quit on anything. I'll go back to my plan of just hunting RFF. I'll use the .340 mag for elk and moose until I get the hit/kill percentages I can accept. I'll use the Stetzen 30-06 for whitetails in the south and blacktails in the north of RFF.

When the percentages are where I want them for the .340 mag i'll stop using it and use the Stetzen for everything on RFF.

I know RFF is not the best place to hunt to win comps, but I don't care. It's my map and i'll stay on it. Just like I never hunted anywhere else but Colorado, except when I was a kid growing up at Mass. Once I moved to Colorado I stayed there. I'll do the same for RFF.

I messed up hunting for bison at Whiterime. Now I have to fix it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Postby Alphamale1956 » May 14th, 2022, 2:22 pm

You need a woman...:)
BCKidd

Postby BCKidd » May 14th, 2022, 2:41 pm

To keep your 100% kill one animal with each weapon... I joke of course, but, that is the only way I think it can be done. I wonder if there is anyone who has actually pulled off what it is, your tryin' to pull off OldMtnMan. If not you'd be the first. :o Respect,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
OldMtnMan
Hunter

Postby OldMtnMan » May 14th, 2022, 4:04 pm

In my last account I made it to 120 hits and kills at 100% with the Stetzen and almost the same with the Pulsar bow.

I'm not going to try anymore. I just want to get the .340 up in the mid 90's and call it good. Then switch to Stetzen and hunt with it without any goals.

I tried but too many goofy things happen in this game.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Return to “General Chat”