Release Notes - 3rd June (Competitions and QoL)

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
HPitte
Spotter

Re: Release Notes - 3rd June (Competitions and QoL)

Post by HPitte »

Please remove the "Roe-bit" and "Werewolves" from the comps list. They're ridiculous and make me sick to look at.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Everything without comps should be removed, including the non-typical ones.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

And for the love of god add reserve filters to the comps page...
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

muledeer
Hunter

Post by muledeer »

Competition:
PoFat and Furry-ous - Polar Bear

Description
Your heaviest Polar Bear shot under 25 meters (approx. 82 ft).

apparently you forgot to enter a number? I just shot one but it doesn't say how many you should kill!
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

muledeer wrote:Competition:

Description

apparently you forgot to enter a number? I just shot one but it doesn't say how many you should kill!
My bad, thanks for the heads up. Fix will be out before it comes out again. Right now it needs 3 bears, in future it will just be the single heaviest bear.
muledeer
Hunter

Post by muledeer »

AveryW88 wrote:
muledeer wrote:Competition:

Description

My bad, thanks for the heads up. Fix will be out before it comes out again. Right now it needs 3 bears, in future it will just be the single heaviest bear.
don't worry ... it's not the end of the world. have a nice day ;)
Ardillamente
Tracker

Post by Ardillamente »

splainin2do wrote:
BCKidd wrote:
Grizdude wrote:
I mentioned this before and got no response... why not have a month-long competition attached to Mule/Blacktail/Whitetail non-typical deer similar to the three typical comps. "King of the Whitetail" for example. The prizes and trophies could be considerably better since it runs for a month. I'd bet it would be a hit. I hope some of you hunters out there chime in on my suggestion.
That would be :o an awesome EW comp for sure. I'd partake in that. It's a good suggestion and I bet many would like somethin' like that. It would take me about a month to even find one NT of any deer species... :lol: ;) Respectfully,

BCKidd.
I'll jump in with this one... I'm in a Facebook group called "TheHunter Classic Fan Group". People share trophy shot photos all the time, and there are many pictures of NT's posted (and some of those pics are awesome!). I think a competition for NT's would be very welcome. It would have a lot of people signing up, as it would be the smart thing to join "just in case". If those entry numbers don't get overwhelming to the database, I think this would be a fun competition! :)
I've been thinking the same thing for years. I would totally participate in a non-typ competition too. Maybe even just 7-10 days long instead of a month. Not everyone who tried would get a non-typ every time but it would still be a lot of fun.

Another suggestion - when adding the Laura Francese competitions back into the lineup, I think it would be good to try and get them back on the original schedule. The recurve competition, which seemed to be one of the favorites for a lot of people, should run from Saturday through Monday like it used to. This gives players who can only spend a decent amount of time hunting on the weekends the chance to join this competition.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

AveryW88 wrote:Great feedback, guys, keep it coming. We did take the overall number of comps right down because that makes it easier to find the comparison points, but I can assure you that there will be more, and that there are fewer distance comps than weight or score overall, so there will always be more of the other two.

How did you find the distribution of difficulty as well? We divided the comps into 5 ranks with at least 2 of each so that varying skill levels would always have a couple of comps they could feel they had a shot at placing in with some options for harder comps if someone wanted the challenge. Did that work or not?

I'd like to ask something about the long distance comps, I think some of the new ones have come up by now. The new long distance ones are mostly unscoped or with a weapon that has a relatively short range, like shotguns or bows. Does this even the playing field for you or not make much difference in the grand scheme? I understand people not liking a type of comp, all good, but I would like them to be more accessible to people. The weights have also mostly been restricted to a specific number of animals (usually 3). People with more time to spend in each attempt do still get an advantage, but are the comps more palatable under those conditions?

Nice extension, btw :)
Wow. That was a lot to catch up on.

Seem like most of my concerns and comments have already been addressed.

Sorry Avery, but I'm one of the ones who activates all the comps every day so I'm afraid I'm not helping much in your data collection. That being said. I would love to see an activate/deactivate all button. I might even buy a Jeep if I could do that, but as it is I prefer to have all the comps active over playing with a vehicle every now and then.

When you get all the new comps straightened out it would be nice to have a schedule we can look at. I'm usually focused on missions first and then look to see what comps are going on after I've decided where I'm hunting (which is why I activate all so I don't have to worry about forgetting to activate before I start a hunt). There are, however, some comps I enjoy participating in more than others but I never seem to write them down and track when they'll be up again. It seems in the new format this would be harder to do as the comps won't be landing on the same day of the week exactly two weeks apart anymore. With a running schedule showing 2 - 4 weeks worth of upcoming events we could easily check for when our favorites are due up again. You could even display the difficulty level of each comp next to the titles.

Other than that, I didn't see any suggestions I really didn't like and lots of great ideas were put out there for you to consider.

Oh, and it would be great if there was a way to upvote or downvote comments in the forums. I would have loved to be able to upvote the ideas I really liked as I read through the 10 pages of comments.

Cheers
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

I always liked to activate as many comps as possible. On the same token I don't have much of a problem with this new rotation as it creation 'tension' and that creates a new level of fun in this game. Not all hunts are the same. I have to give thought to the comps that are current and what weapons to bring with me. I like this. It discourages us to play the game the same way all the time.
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

A posted schedule seems to be a popular request at this stage. I take it everyone wants to know which comp exactly is coming up or am I making an assumption there?

On to the other concerns that I have definite answers for: Laura Francese's comps will now always fall over weekends and last 3 days, not two. However they will start on Friday instead of Saturday. Dunno about you, but I definitely have more spring in my step Friday after work than Monday. Granted that might be because I live near enough to some clubs and bars that weekends aren't exactly quiet :shock: Karaoke without soundproofing should be banned.

Don't worry about activating all the comps, that is part of the calculation. It's the same as activating all the missions, and a pretty common thing to do since you don't always know what you want to hunt until you're looking at the reserve maps or your mission list. Activation vs participation is part of what we're looking at in terms of what people actually like to hunt once they get into a reserve and load up, rather than what they feel they should hunt. This stuff should be fun! Again, those animals or comp types won't be removed, but they'll get fewer extras at this stage. We understand though that the difficulty of the comps themselves will also influence the numbers, and which missions you may have waiting.

We've got a stack of new comps in testing, but after what happened with the last lot (polar bears, why?!), I'm not rushing them through. Next week, we'll post a request for people who want to submit their own regular comp ideas. Don't post them here, I'll lose them. This time we won't be demanding packs although you can post those as well if you like. Basically, post the hunt you'd like to do, whether that's testing your limits or giving yourself and others a chance to make some entries.

We have some tweaks to make on our side; we need some beta testing on a couple of things, but the new schedule will definitely start Thursday next week. There are more comps overall (these short number were for faster data crunching, as annoying as it has been and thank you for your tolerance) and there are more comps starting on weekends (Fri - Sun) than weekdays. We will add extra animals during the week based on feedback and which comp types or animals need more representation.

For the things I haven't answered, we aren't ignoring them. We are currently picking our battles though since there's an event coming up fast and we really don't want to break stuff in the middle of that.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”