Release Notes - 3rd June (Competitions and QoL)

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
BaiPe6o
Scout

Re: Release Notes - 3rd June (Competitions and QoL)

Post by BaiPe6o »

I personally don't like long shooting because i don't want to ruin my stats just like TheColton, but I'm totally fine with them being around. Long range shooting needs serious skills and preparation and I respect and admire the guys who do that. As Hoo said it will be nice if there is something for everyone. I prefer let say more complicated comps. With shot placement, first harvest, specific weapon...but maybe they are more suitable for weekend comps. My favorite one remains "a bow and handgun". It was a great challenge.
It's great that you are trying to improve the competition system. Not that it's bad the way it is but I'm sure it could be even better and more interesting.
By the way I usually don't activate a competition if I'm not going to dive into it and concentrate on winning it, but as we can see,everyone has his own way of playing.
Spoiler:
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

Competitions - if it looks like fun will give it a go, if not I don't bother with them to much.
TheColton

Post by TheColton »

What id like to put on the the table again is the weekdays a specific competition is running. So far its been 7 different competitions for every species, each running for two days in a two week cycle. That meant that each of the 7 competitions always took place on the exact same two weekdays. Now lets say a player is only able to play on the weekends (because of his job or whatever), then he will see the same competitions every two weeks and will never be able to play the ones that take place during the week.

This could be solved by adding an 8th competition to the rotation, so every comp is getting pushed forward by two days every cycle. The comp that took place on wednesday/ thursday in cycle 1 would be running on friday/saturday in cycle 2 and so on. This would instantly bring more variety for the players that can only play on certain days and changes the routine for everyone.
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

TheColton wrote:What id like to put on the the table again is the weekdays a specific competition is running. So far its been 7 different competitions for every species, each running for two days in a two week cycle. That meant that each of the 7 competitions always took place on the exact same two weekdays. Now lets say a player is only able to play on the weekends (because of his job or whatever), then he will see the same competitions every two weeks and will never be able to play the ones that take place during the week.

This could be solved by adding an 8th competition to the rotation, so every comp is getting pushed forward by two days every cycle. The comp that took place on wednesday/ thursday in cycle 1 would be running on friday/saturday in cycle 2 and so on. This would instantly bring more variety for the players that can only play on certain days and changes the routine for everyone.
Agreed, and we do have an offset cycle planned based around the number of animals in the game. This should give players a chance at different animals when they only have certain days available to play. It should also give them a chance at different competitions related to those animals, more once we finish adding new comps - only so many we could test at a time ;) more are coming, and we will be giving players the opportunity to submit comps as well once we've nailed down our system.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

I totally want competitions that require you to harvest one of each species in a given reserve. Highest combined CSS wins. 5 attempts only.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

muledeer
Hunter

Post by muledeer »

how about if you can determine the period in which you can do a competition more yourself.

as an example, all competitions would run for a month. so you can plan your hunting trips much more relaxed.
muledeer
Hunter

Post by muledeer »

Brutus969 wrote:I totally want competitions that require you to harvest one of each species in a given reserve. Highest combined CSS wins. 5 attempts only.
yes that would be really great.
and then a different reserve every month.
you could have a tournament in which you have to qualify for the next one.
or a kind of master of (reserve name) a ranking list for the best hunter per reserve ... oh crap, I'm starting to dream again :oops:
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

muledeer wrote:how about if you can determine the period in which you can do a competition more yourself.

as an example, all competitions would run for a month. so you can plan your hunting trips much more relaxed.
I would actually like to know how people feel about having more competitions running together for a longer time frame, although I think a month is too long.

Things to think about:
To keep things fair, the comps would retain attempts, numbers or whatever other parameters limit how many animals considered as submissions.
Rewards would not be given until the end of the timeframe.
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

muledeer wrote:
Brutus969 wrote:I totally want competitions that require you to harvest one of each species in a given reserve. Highest combined CSS wins. 5 attempts only.
yes that would be really great.
and then a different reserve every month.
you could have a tournament in which you have to qualify for the next one.
or a kind of master of (reserve name) a ranking list for the best hunter per reserve ... oh crap, I'm starting to dream again :oops:
We don't mind doing reserve based comps, they would have a longer time frame attached to them to make sure people can play such a long comp when they have time. The entire month might be a bit long though :D
HPitte
Spotter

Post by HPitte »

AveryW88 wrote:
jttoo wrote:
AveryW88 wrote: A major update of competitions:
Hi Avery,

Is there anything that explains the reasoning behind the different levels of EM rewards for the competitions? It appears that most Starter competitions do not reward EM's, Intermediates reward 75 EM's and experienced competitions reward more. Is there a reason for this? It seems quite biased against the newbie hunter, who could actually benefit from a small EM reward.
We left a lot of functionality as is, otherwise when you change too much the feedback can get muddy over what should have had a change and what should have been left alone, or changed in a different way. This round was to try the new scoring system and to test how many regular competitions should be active at once for a good balance of variety and not overwhelming people with too many choices.

So give us your feedback! We can't promise to change everything, since people will often land up on opposite sides of whether something suits them, but we want to know how people feel about how the changes affect their gameplay experience.
You mention variety here and in some other posts in this thread, yet as of right now there are 12 animals with 0 comps running. Less comps isn't more variety. Less comps is the opposite of variety.

You mention "overwhelming people with too many choices" here. Who is complaining that they are "overwhelmed" with the amount of running comps?

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”