Release Notes - 3rd June (Competitions and QoL)

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
muledeer
Hunter

Re: Release Notes - 3rd June (Competitions and QoL)

Post by muledeer »

maybe do a vote with a small price as a reward.

I mean you have access to the entire comps from the beginning of the game.

Isn't it easy for you developers to see what the most popular comps of the last 11 years have been?

here in the forum you only have a minority of opinions.

I would generally be for fewer comps but with higher prices.
plus a kind of consolation prize up to number 20
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

HPitte wrote:
AveryW88 wrote:
jttoo wrote:
Hi Avery,

Is there anything that explains the reasoning behind the different levels of EM rewards for the competitions? It appears that most Starter competitions do not reward EM's, Intermediates reward 75 EM's and experienced competitions reward more. Is there a reason for this? It seems quite biased against the newbie hunter, who could actually benefit from a small EM reward.
We left a lot of functionality as is, otherwise when you change too much the feedback can get muddy over what should have had a change and what should have been left alone, or changed in a different way. This round was to try the new scoring system and to test how many regular competitions should be active at once for a good balance of variety and not overwhelming people with too many choices.

So give us your feedback! We can't promise to change everything, since people will often land up on opposite sides of whether something suits them, but we want to know how people feel about how the changes affect their gameplay experience.
You mention variety here and in some other posts in this thread, yet as of right now there are 12 animals with 0 comps running. Less comps isn't more variety. Less comps is the opposite of variety.

You mention "overwhelming people with too many choices" here. Who is complaining that they are "overwhelmed" with the amount of running comps?
All right, I'll repeat. The current schedule is severely limited because it's easier in terms of clear feedback. It's not permanent. There's data we need that is more accurate in a limited system and highlights problems that have slipped past in both teh comps and the systems we've been using. By taking something to the other end of the scale for numbers also helps us calculate what a good number of competitions are to give people variety without having a bunch of competitions that no one is interested in. So from this, we can estimate which animals and competition types people prefer and those will get more competitions. No animal will lose its comps, but the less popular will get fewer new ones compared to the others.

Why now? I want all my data from our current active players. I know people will activate comps while they play normally, I know people will focus and make sure they complete what they sign up for and I know people will activate comps on the off chance they get something good for it along the way. These do not give us accurate data about what people like and don't, and I can't tell from the previous stats which competitions are just straight up unpopular or are being overlooked or ignored in favor of something else or are just unavailable to certain players since the comps run on the same days every cycle. Again, getting raw data is easier from a limited system and comparing those numbers to feedback becomes easier when we know what we're focusing on. This lets us discard certain ideas we've had and confirms ones that players suggest.

This all gives us a jumping off point for new comps, making some competitions more accessible to new players and ensuring our current Players have comps that will actually appeal to them, since each of you have your favorites among competitions.

So. The point of this is to give us a better focus on the comps we currently have per animal and parameter, which ones we need more of and the request for feedback is so that we know what the Players actually want and how the taxonomy is distributed which will hopefully lead to fewer mistakes with new systems and features in the future.
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

muledeer wrote:maybe do a vote with a small price as a reward.

I mean you have access to the entire comps from the beginning of the game.

Isn't it easy for you developers to see what the most popular comps of the last 11 years have been?

here in the forum you only have a minority of opinions.

I would generally be for fewer comps but with higher prices.
plus a kind of consolation prize up to number 20
I've reached out for feedback in all our channels. I'm getting the majority of feedback from here because the Forum users are the ones giving us feedback. It is what we expected though, and the responses you guys give us can be compared to the data.

I can indeed see the competitions for 11 years. I can also see which ones rose and fell in popularity depending on the player base at the time. I want to know about our players now. If the Forum users are the only ones who want to have their opinions weighed, then I'll cater to you guys first. You put in the effort to talk to us. Everyone else got the same information, and the same request for feedback.
muledeer
Hunter

Post by muledeer »

it's great how your new team also uses the forum ... we had been missing that for a while in the past.
personally, the normal comps weren't really interesting for me either ... because some players have specialized in them.

As far as long shots are concerned: if I can't completely kill an animal from 20 meters and then I wonder how other players from almost 500- 600 meters have no problem with it ... then I don't feel like doing something like that! is it in your normal life to kill animals from such a distance?
and if you look at the leaderboard then a handful of players make it up ... competitions run alongside me ... the wages are also far too low for the many hours you spend with them.
Trophies are hidden far too far in the lancher. you look at them once and then never again.

good luck and thank you for revising it
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

No worries, we do want a dialogue with our players because we want to know what you want out of the game. We like the forum because we can go back and re-read threads for things we might have missed, something that's a lot harder in the social media platforms. We've gone this far with the comps because this is the one area of the game where we do have the option to try catering to a broader range of play styles without upsetting a mission flow or blocking someone's progression or something like that.
We'd also like to straighten this system out as quickly as possible, which is why I'm being pushy here. We don't like things unfinished any more that you guys do.
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

AveryW88 wrote:I've reached out for feedback in all our channels. I'm getting the majority of feedback from here because the Forum users are the ones giving us feedback. It is what we expected though, and the responses you guys give us can be compared to the data.

I can indeed see the competitions for 11 years. I can also see which ones rose and fell in popularity depending on the player base at the time. I want to know about our players now. If the Forum users are the only ones who want to have their opinions weighed, then I'll cater to you guys first. You put in the effort to talk to us. Everyone else got the same information, and the same request for feedback.
The forum is the more closely-knit group, I believe, so I'm not surprised you'd get the most constructive feedback from it. There are more "old school" people here that have been around since the beginning, and those that enjoy the game so much that they join the forum even though there is a small "hoop to jump through" to make an account. It's odd to think that social media was just getting started, and when THC came out, Discord didn't' even exist! :shock: I do see more chatter in a FB THC Fan group that I'm in than I do on THC's own FB page.

I have to be honest and confess that I often forgot to pay attention to the "in game" competitions and worked more on the ones listed in the forum. I like the discussion and interaction with other competitors and feel I've advanced more as a player because of those. I also like knowing where I ended up placing at the end of the competition when I don't win a trophy. I find that I forget the name of the competition, so when it's ended it's not easy to find those specific "previous competition" results. I'm also not a fan of being just one in a group of 100 or more all vying for one of three prizes. That said, I really like the look of those new trophies, so I think I'll still be joining a few of these just to see if I can win any! ;)
TheColton

Post by TheColton »

AveryW88 wrote:I would actually like to know how people feel about having more competitions running together for a longer time frame, although I think a month is too long.

Things to think about:
To keep things fair, the comps would retain attempts, numbers or whatever other parameters limit how many animals considered as submissions.
Rewards would not be given until the end of the timeframe.
I also think that a whole month would be too long. That would feel more like a second season leaderboard. But i really like the idea of maybe 5 to 7 day long competitions that need a lil more effort. The mentioned combined scores of one of each animals in a reserve or an average of eight of the same species are great ideas. But id still keep the attempts kinda low at 5 or 10.

As mentioned in my other post im also a fan of making low scoring/weighing animals part of the competitions. Id love to see comps that are about score differences. Im thinking about stuff like harvest a high scoring and a low scoring animal of a species and biggest difference wins. Or harvest two animals of a species that score as equal as possible, lowest difference wins here. I have no idea if the competition system is able to calculate that.

Edit!: Oh and to make that more clear...i dont mean shooting only two animals for these comp. U could shoot as many as you want and the highest and lowest count in in the end.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Lately I’ve been contemplating the idea of some kind of “tree” structure of competitions. Something that feels like a story unfolding for the player. The daily missions have this sort of thing going on. I’m not sure how this would work with comps though it could be an interesting idea. Many years ago I was a fan of the game Tiger Woods PGA tour 08 for pc. It had a structured progression where you would compete and progress and you felt like you were progressing a cohesive story. Here on the other hand I don’t feel like there’s much of a feeling that my character has a story in that way. I’d like it if that sense of story could some how be created in this game rather than random separate events that have no correlation to the last one.
Grizdude
Trophy Hunter

Post by Grizdude »

muledeer wrote:i don't want to spend a lot of time looking for each individual species, but rather a search for the reserve. one click and I activate all available competitions for the reserve.

in single player mode I would like to have a small window similar to the one in the MP with a press of F3, which shows me a brief overview of active comps.
This would be great if you could click on the reserve you want to hunt and a list of all available and upcoming competitions would be listed below. I can't stress enough though that a competition should be available for every animal on that reserve. I would hate to run into a trophy animal that didn't have a competition attached... just my opinion. I won't do a competition on any particular reserve unless it has competitions for all animals on it. I sure hope there are other hunters that feel this way.;) I know these competitions are a work in progress so maybe this will be how it is when the devs are finished.... currently there's not one reserve that has a competition for all animals on it... not one. :(
jan333jan

Post by jan333jan »

please give us back brown bear competetions

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”