Update About Memberships and Business Model

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Hawkeye

Re: Update About Memberships and Business Model

Postby Hawkeye » March 4th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Pupic wrote:
HooCairs wrote:
fantamichele wrote:6 million registered players? What game are you playing?

They mentioned having 4.5 million registered users already back in November 2014 in this update: http://news.thehunter.com/introducing-thehunter-primal

Many accounts are dead though and those people never even kill a single animal.

Those numbers were always a big joke.
I have just checked some random player in MP. His hunter score is 1 (joined TH about a minute ago) and he is rank 596300 (people with same HS dont share the same rank) - so roughly, there is only about 600 000 people during the last 10 years - including guests, that managed to earn that 1 HS point by e.g. collecting 1 mushroom :)
The rest of the registered accounts are from the people that didn`t even bother to download the game.

Not necessarily. There are likely many players that downloaded the game and Leroy Jenkins' their way around Whitehart a while before uninstalling after being unable to figure out why they can't find anything to shoot at. Hence, zero hunterscore.
fantamichele
Hunter

Postby fantamichele » March 4th, 2019, 3:34 pm

HooCairs wrote:
fantamichele wrote:6 million registered players? What game are you playing?

They mentioned having 4.5 million registered users already back in November 2014 in this update: http://news.thehunter.com/introducing-thehunter-primal
Many accounts are dead though and those people never even kill a single animal.

I just checked a player who has 4 points of hunterscore, he is at position 423,000. I believe that at present the inscriptions are around 600,000. It was clear from the last event that there were almost 5,000 participations. Considering also those who did not participate, I believe we can not reach 10,000 active players. If so, it would be great for the duration of the game.

muledeer

Postby muledeer » March 4th, 2019, 3:34 pm

@HooCairs i only read this:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/518790 ... 2?l=french
We’re excited to announce the release date for theHunter: Call of the Wild! The ultimate hunting experience will be available worldwide on February 16, 2017 for PC via Steam and select retailers.

theHunter: Call of the Wild is the evolution of theHunter Classic, Expansive Worlds’ stand-out hunting game, with over 6 million registered players and 7 years of live operations. As a gesture of appreciation to our incredible community, theHunter Classic players will be able to redeem exclusive items in theHunter: Call of the Wild at no cost.

All theHunter Classic players that have reached a Hunter Score of 50 or more, and/or have purchased a membership at any point, can redeem two exclusive items – the .270 Warden Rifle and the Dry Leaves Ghillie Suit.

Likewise, players of theHunter: Call of the Wild will be awarded a unique weapon in theHunter: Classic, further underlining our commitment to let both games live alongside and complement each other. Both offers are exclusive and time limited. They will be available at launch and expire after the first 90 days post-launch (May 16, 2017) never to be offered again.

Here you can find the portal to check if you are eligible for the exclusive items offer:
Pupic
Hunter

Postby Pupic » March 4th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Not necessarily. There are likely many players that downloaded the game and Leroy Jenkins' their way around Whitehart a while before uninstalling after being unable to figure out why they can't find anything to shoot at. Hence, zero hunterscore.

Would you call them users, or players?
I am guessing (its all we can do after all) but i would bet that TH never had more than few thousands paying members and few times more guests at any point during its existence.
And those few thousands of loyal players is probably what kept it alive for this long... ... which is pretty awesome if you ask me.
I have always wondered why EW fabricates those ridiculous numbers, its not like they are going to sell it to anyone.
Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » March 4th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Pupic wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Not necessarily. There are likely many players that downloaded the game and Leroy Jenkins' their way around Whitehart a while before uninstalling after being unable to figure out why they can't find anything to shoot at. Hence, zero hunterscore.

Would you call them users, or players?
I am guessing (its all we can do after all) but i would bet that TH never had more than few thousands paying members and few times more guests at any point during its existence.
And those few thousands of loyal players is probably what kept it alive for this long... ... which is pretty awesome if you ask me.
I have always wondered why EW fabricates those ridiculous numbers, its not like they are going to sell it to anyone.

I would call them registered, as you are required to do so to play. I would agree with your assessment on paying members, but the registered users number is not fabricated. They are two vastly different things.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Postby VonStratos » March 4th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Is a common practice in online game to mention the registered players, because the number can be huge even for small games, but the "real" players, to say players who actually keep in the game playing are just a fraction, and players who pays are a fraction of that fraction, its really easy to just make an account, then some people will try download the installer and never even install the game, i have done that myself when looking other games to try.

But the thing is how many of the player-base is still active in-game, how many of the new daily registered players get interested to keep playing and eventually become members, etc, all that is what EW need to evaluate when making changes like the coming ones to the business model.

"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Pupic
Hunter

Postby Pupic » March 4th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Hawkeye wrote:I would call them registered, as you are required to do so to play. I would agree with your assessment on paying members, but the registered users number is not fabricated. They are two vastly different things.

If your business is a game making than your `users` should be - players. EW bragging (and they were celebrating those milestones few times if i remember correctly) with millions of non-players is....hmm :?

Btw...Sorry, Hawkeye for being of-topic, but i find this to be one of the reasons for the end - which is inevitable, but for sure didn`t need to come this soon. For years there was a kind of forum fight between the `fanboys` and `haters, the first accepting and cheering for every move devs. made, buying anything to `support the game` and defending any excuse they make, and the latter - asking, demanding focus on quality that will not only bring more players but will make them want to stay and pay.
Unfortunately for us, its obvious EW never had any intention to bring more players here, it was rather `milking` TH community as long as possible while turning to a different market and a different kind of players. If it wasn't the truth, instead of less than perfect Primal or THCoW we would be all enjoying THC 2.0 by now.

VonStratos kind of beat me to it. ;)
DYEUZ
Outfitter

Postby DYEUZ » March 4th, 2019, 6:17 pm

VonStratos wrote:But the thing is how many of the player-base is still active in-game,

I'm still here and playing , thx to ACL .

ImageImageImageImage
Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » March 4th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Pupic wrote:but i find this to be one of the reasons for the end - which is inevitable, but for sure didn`t need to come this soon.

Where did you read that the end is coming?
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Postby DanthemanBoone » March 4th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Glad someone mentioned Primal. For a couple of days work it could still be selling in ten years time as well. As small but steady income for a minimal amount of work.
It always ran great for my on my original "day one" download. With just a few small tweaks I was able to get it to run properly again after downloading it on my new computer.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”