Update About Memberships and Business Model

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: Update About Memberships and Business Model

Post by JimboCrow »

I've always thought membership is (was) EXTREMELY inexpensive. A pay-as-you-play model might generate more revenue from the same number of players, and let's face it, membership is not growing. So it stands to reason they would try another model to maximize margins in the short term, especially when they aren't doing long term forecasts anymore.

It sounds like the swan song, but it might actually prolong the inevitable, and keep the creditors quiet a bit longer. I believe even three month memberships will be scrutinized in future, and possibly be more expensive. It's hard to know for sure, but it's worth a try I believe, a kind of "retirement budget" you might say.

P.S. I hope everyone at EW lands on their feet. A lot of people there who have made my time here pretty special. Thanks folks, from the bottom of my heart. Jimbo. :cry:
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

JimboCrow wrote:I've always thought membership is (was) EXTREMELY inexpensive. A pay-as-you-play model might generate more revenue from the same number of players, and let's face it, membership is not growing. So it stands to reason they would try another model to maximize margins in the short term, especially when they aren't doing long term forecasts anymore.

It sounds like the swan song, but it might actually prolong the inevitable, and keep the creditors quiet a bit longer. I believe even three month memberships will be scrutinized in future, and possibly be more expensive. It's hard to know for sure, but it's worth a try I believe, a kind of "retirement budget" you might say.

P.S. I hope everyone at EW lands on their feet. A lot of people there who have made my time here pretty special. Thanks folks, from the bottom of my heart. Jimbo. :cry:
I don't think it is the end. So, not much point getting into the "it is over" mentality. "So wipe away your tears girls"... ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Post by FR_Bugs »

It would be cool to have more informations on the new business model. i think that THC will become a COTW model with DLC but without others informations we had to wait and.... prey :D
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Good morning all,

It is super interesting to see how everyone is processing this information, if you are a little unsure, I have pulled some text out of my original statement that you should concentrate on :)
TreeKiwi wrote: The primary reason for us to do this is that we want to ensure the longevity and accessibility
of this amazing game!

A few things to take away from this:
  • The changes are being done to ensure the game is around for a long time yet
Have a good day all,

TK
Toledo
Spotter

Post by Toledo »

_dfad_ wrote:What about towers? I purchased my current 12m membership because I wanted to get towers. And I think I need more, at least 10 more than I have now. So, what will be official way to get more towers? More events like the current one in TGT?
The fact that they offer no scent reduction (unlike static towers) is the reason I never use them, I wish I could gift mine to you. :)
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

BCKidd wrote:I don't think it is the end. So, not much point getting into the "it is over" mentality. "So wipe away your tears girls"... ;) Peace.

BCKidd.
Yeah, I might be amping up the drama a bit, but... whenever I see crows circling I start looking for a carcass, and when I find it I usually find wolves prowling around it.

Nothing ever happens in business without some sort of impetus. People go to the doctor only after they have symptoms, and only start eating better once they get the bad news; this is a reaction, a necessity, not a midlife crisis / healthy lifestyle change. I'm not saying it will happen tomorrow, or even six months from tomorrow, but realistically, how much longer does the patient have Doc? A year? Don't bet on it girls. :cry:
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I've always been a year at a time person because of the tower bonus even though I have a few sitting in inventory, I'd rather have them when I want them than vice-versa. Talk of compensation to some players signed up for years to come is interesting in that it kind of says there's an end date on the process we've come to know as standard otherwise why even bring that into the discussion?

We will see as there's more to come!
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
dj.p.king
Scout

Post by dj.p.king »

I haven't been around much since christmas (work and real life duties), reading all these posts and others about the future of this game,
only reminds me of what happened to the simleague I helped run, we had to do something similar which lead to the league ending 2 years
down the line.

The only difference here is we have way way more people playing this game, which would mean as players are able to and willing to keep money
coming in then there should be no need to worry about the end of the game, I'm happy I got my year renewal in covering me till 2020 before these
changes came in.

I like that other animals are now getting their own missions and comps but maybe it would have been best to fix the broken missions first, ie blackbear
mission 3 this has been a right royal pain in the **** for many hunters and will continue to be till the games end.
Season 26

1 Range record Season 23 - Dall 583.110 m, 1 Range record Season 25 - Dall 601.410 m
PB range, Xbow 230.230, Bow 471.180, Rifle 601.410
Game play 2700+ hours/hunter score 19000+ http://www.uhcapps.co.uk/stats.php?username=djpking
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

Toledo wrote:
_dfad_ wrote:What about towers?
The fact that they offer no scent reduction (unlike static towers) is the reason I never use them, I wish I could gift mine to you. :)
I have 7 installed in RFF, WRR, TGT and Hemmeldal. Most time, bears and sometimes even arctic foxes pass just in few meters and do not notice me unless I move actively. So I don't care much about the lack of scent reduction. Anyway, you still can use them for long range shots.

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
Ringalor
Tracker

Post by Ringalor »

Ok... Great and good news... Keep making me dream... Thanks !

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”