Update About Memberships and Business Model

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: Update About Memberships and Business Model

Post by VonStratos »

Happy Birthday to the one and only real mvp hunting game, The Hunter Classic.

If this game is even shut down someday i hope for a stand alone version, sure we would lose a lot of statistics and lots of server based features, but we could still compare trophies in a community forum or sites like UHC, and the game would be alive as long there were players willing to play it, even more, it may be possible to make some community mods(modifications not moderators), to give new life to it, if there is many mediocre single player hunting games around, why a nice one could not be a good sell as stand alone? even old it could be sold, and some players would like to buy it, just like the old Deer Hunting games.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Why would they do the work to make the game stand alone. If it closes it is because it isn't making money. They will not spend more to make some players happy, they will close it and hope to sell more CoTW to those that want a the hunter fix.
The registered users numbers have always been inflated to make the game seem more successful than it was and boost some egos. The highest reported was 6 million, and at one point it went from 4.5 to 5 in less than a month, do the math.
Still waiting for the EM$ buyable memberships and the announcement of the conversion of membership time to EM$ for those with over 6 or 12 months of membership time.
Until that announcement the game will keep going, after that the clock will start ticking.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
TurboKid
Tracker

Post by TurboKid »

I for one find the fun in the official hunting competitions and being able to win EM$ in the comps. So if the new "memberships" or way the game is going, changes the competitions or takes away the EM$ from them. Im pretty sure it wouldn't be long before my membership ran out and wouldn't get renewed. (The competitions, and TRUracs, are my main holders of this game) ( I also enjoyed the fact that you bought a weapon, and took your time with it and it became yours. I actually like the structure of the game/buying items). ( I do feel they are a TAD to expensive in US dollars. But at least EW covers me with the sales and you can win EMS in the comps. So pricing evens out.) Also feels good to win some comps and be able to by a SxS shotgun on sale. :)

I re-signed up even after reading this post. I purchased a 3 month membership after reading the thread (and wanting to participate in the DOC EVENT) since last year they didn't do a black friday deal on the memberships. (In hindsight now we know why. This move was coming since before November last year)

My request's, I hope the competition structure doesn't change.
AND PLEASE!! Add a "FILTER by RESERVE" option/tabs in the competitions page. https://www.thehunter.com/#competitions
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

I'm worried about Classic, because I'm getting into it again and realizing what a great game it is, but honestly COTW is a good game. The animals' behavior is much more realistic, animals don't reset when you stop playing (you can manage the same herds over several weeks if you want), animals actually use the environment the way they really would ("need zones" for example, like specific sleeping areas for bears), killing animals increasing hunting pressure in those areas... it is honestly waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more realistic than Classic. There are some "arcade-y" elements that have to go for the game to be truly enjoyable, like consecutive harvests, but I have no doubt the game will eventually get there. Once trophy lodges and TruRACS are implemented it's going to be a near-perfect game.

I hated COTW for a long time because I'm such a fan of Classic but after getting into it, it's really fun. I think eventually with the right changes it could be as good as Classic. So I'm not terribly devastated by the ominousness of this, even though for me Classic is still the better game. For now. ;)
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
Skybird
Hunter

Post by Skybird »

To remind of a quote form the very first and "officially licensed" post in this thread:
A few things to take away from this:

The changes are being done to ensure the game is around for a long time yet
em$ are not going anywhere, so if you are sitting on a pile of them, before and after any changes,
they will still be the main in game currency. We want to ensure that em$ are always going to be a
good investment.
We have members on our radar that have lengthy memberships and are considering how any change
might affect them
Events, Competitions and Content will still be released… some have been requested by the
community for awhile… ‘Placeable Archery Targets’ anyone?
Bug fixes and making sure all species have missions and competitions attached to them are a
high priority for us at the moment
If one can take them by their word, these points, especially the first, are not indicative for a planned shutdown.

They really should explain soon what is coming, and not let this uncertainty prevail for months to come. Me thinks they should not even have opened this up before they were ready to give the full explanation. Its now a rumour-mill. I was asked by people three times in past weeks whether the game will be shut down in summer, or already before that. That such questions get asked in this fashion indicates a lousy public relation job. Fault is not with the forum moderator, but the company.

On a side note, I somewhat agree with wolf above. I have COTW on PS4. I like it, its different, visually superior, some things, many details are done better than in Classic, but - IT IS NOT Classic. Not the reserves, not the places, not the memories. In some things, classic still is better than COTW. I do not see the latter being a replacement for the first, although I suspected from beginning on that the release of COTW may indicate a silent, slow change in the policy that determines the handling of Classic affairs. Different to that dinosaur game whose title I already have forgotten, I do not play COTW instead of Classic, but I PLAY THEM BOTH. The one on PC, the other on PS4, depending on whether I am in the mood for the desktop, or the couch. There is no need to choose between the two. Playing both is possible. ;)
hours: >960 / Hunter Score: >8400
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Skybird wrote:They really should explain soon what is coming, and not let this uncertainty prevail for months to come. Me thinks they should not even have opened this up before they were ready to give the full explanation.
Most if not all of the uncertainty comes from the community with all their speculations. EW have been clear in their communication. We change memberships to em$ based at some point, and players can now only buy 3 months at a time. Very clear and a full explanation. What part is not clear?

For customers to believe EW should disclose their full business strategy would be naive. Not saying you, but in general. They give us two statements which creates a 21 page forum thread. Can you imagine all the more business experts popping out of nowhere if they gave us the full picture. :P
Skybird wrote:On a side note, I somewhat agree with wolf above. I have COTW on PS4. I like it, its different, visually superior, some things, many details are done better than in Classic, but - IT IS NOT Classic. Not the reserves, not the places, not the memories. In some things, classic still is better than COTW.
CotW is somehow too clinical for me. And then of course it lacks TruRACS, online stats and comps. And treestands. :P
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

HooCairs wrote:
Skybird wrote:They really should explain soon what is coming, and not let this uncertainty prevail for months to come. Me thinks they should not even have opened this up before they were ready to give the full explanation.
Most if not all of the uncertainty comes from the community with all their speculations. EW have been clear in their communication. We change memberships to em$ based at some point, and players can now only buy 3 months at a time. Very clear and a full explanation. What part is not clear?

For customers to believe EW should disclose their full business strategy would be naive. They give us two statements which creates a 21 page forum thread. Can you imagine all the more business experts popping out of nowhere if they gave us the full picture. :P
We're only clear on the temporary change (removing 6 month+ subscriptions) and their stated goals (game longevity, em$ not going anywhere, continuation of content release, bug fixes, etc). We still don't have any idea what the updated business model will be, except that it is changing.

As stated in the OP
TreeKiwi wrote:As soon as we have more information to share with you all, it will be posted.
I disagree with many of the "sky is falling" posts on here, as many of our main concerns are addressed in their stated goals in the OP, but leaving a 'business model change' message open for interpretation for 5 weeks is excessive. I think it's safe to say everybody wants to know what's happening with the future business model of our favorite game.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

I believe that if EW would say something like: "Guys we are gonna keep the things just like now for a few months, thanks for your understanding". That could do it in part, because we dont know what changes are coming, but, we know that at this moment the only change is the removal of the long term memberships in sale, and the rest is pretty much like always has been.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Skybird
Hunter

Post by Skybird »

HooCairs wrote:
The part why it is being changed: they do not change this for the mere sake of changing this, but in preparation of a to-come change in the business model. They said it clearly that at this time they do not reveal all change to come.
For customers to believe EW should disclose their full business strategy would be naive. Not saying you, but in general. They give us two statements which creates a 21 page forum thread. Can you imagine all the more business experts popping out of nowhere if they gave us the full picture. :P
As I said earlier already, they should not have offered this half-baken cake, but either stay shut up, or explain the full story. By this way they did they have collected quite some public relation already that they cannot have wanted. Thats what happens if you stay cryptic and leave plenty of space for imagination: you start a rumour mill. And with an age of ten years, whcih is much in the business, it is no wonder that apocalyptic fantasies have party time. They should really end this uncertainty. Quickly.
]
CotW is somehow too clinical for me. And then of course it lacks TruRACS, online stats and comps. And treestands. :P
I dont miss these. I rarely use the ground blinds in COTA. I'm a walker. I want to get around and see places. The game to me is a sandbox more than anything else. The game has other aspects that Classic has not, better animal behaviour, or does shared features better. And no micro transactions. You buy the game on PS4, and you buy maps. Period. From a player'S perspective, i prefer this model way over the Classic's model. Straight, transparent, simple. I would have bought and played it more on PC if the many reports on lacking stability would not have scared me too often. Now I am way too deep into the PS4 version as if I want to do all that equipment-hunting and pojnts scroign again. So I stay with the PS4 version and just enjoy the play without all that number gimmick stuff. Its a couch holiday, like a walk in the park. Thats what I like both games for.
hours: >960 / Hunter Score: >8400
muledeer
Hunter

Post by muledeer »

Skybird wrote: Its a couch holiday, like a walk in the park. Thats what I like both games for.
Yes :!: :!: :!:

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”