Update About Memberships and Business Model

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
mapache01
Outfitter

Re: Update About Memberships and Business Model

Post by mapache01 »

JimboCrow wrote:
mapache01 wrote:I was trying to buy Deployable tower, but now with the 6 and 12 months gone you cannot buy it any more, sad, very sad,
mapache01, if you go out and kill "25 wolves before February 27th" you get 2 free towers plus a few other items, for free! You have been killing lots of Mule Deer but you need to kill more wolves. You can check your progress by clicking on the top banner on the launcher main page.

It is called the "Doc Themed Competition" but it is not a comp, just an event to win free stuff the easy way. Don't miss out!!! Go kill 25 wolves!!!

And if you complete the mission pack for the upcoming Valentine's Event you will receive another free tower!!!
'
Thanks Jimbo, I was on Mule Deer comp group, that's the answer of just hunting Mule's and avoiding Wolfs, so Gonna shot some now
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

Hi, i have been playing this game for a long time, and have been watching this thread closely.

First of all it seems there is a lot of negativity, and for what i think, its for the silence of EW, i hope they have their reasons to not explain nothing, except a vague message with multiple "meanings".

I think it would be beneficial for everybody if EW told us something.

It seemes several people are comparing the number of players of THC and COTW, it may be because you can buy COTW in a grey market for the same price as the cheapest member plan in TH.

Most players that have tried TH have leaved for one reason, they could only hunt one or two animals per reserve free, frustated with messages of "You dont have license".

I think EW could move all the animal hunt licenses from a paywall to free; while free users have to buy the ammo (except for .243 and .12), member will have all the ammo free, as currently.

Members are paying for free ammo, the animal licenses are an extra.

Animal licenses scare new players, and the prices too, thats the only reason they go to the "causal/arcade" version, money.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Pim Holfve made the following statement about the future of Avalanche games during an interview following the announcement of Nordics takeover of the company.
[Self-published games aren't going anywhere, either, especially with the addition of the Malmö studio to focus on "small and flexible projects." Holfve said that the company will accelerate its self-publishing, with games such as Avalanche's theHunter fitting in well with Nordic's ideas for games as services.

"We have been running theHunter Classic as a service for almost a decade, and that's also how we think about our upcoming self-published games as well," Holfve said. "theHunter: Call of the Wild has been supported with new DLC (paid and free), game updates, community events and more since launch. That's a great blueprint for how we think about our self-published games as active, dynamic services for our fans."]

Dosnt look like the plan is to shut the hunter down at all.
i dont take anything said by someone with a vested intrest and who can be held liable as worth more than anything said on the forums by members. hence why they always answer in grey and never black and white.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

TreeKiwi wrote:Since we know some changes are going to happen, starting today we will remove the 12 and 6 month membership options from the store. This is only a precaution to stop the potential for players to purchase a product that might change later down the line and we feel it’s only fair that you can decide how you want to spend your money, after we present the new business model.
How do you guys plan to tackle retail codes? It's still possible to purchase and activate retail codes, adding 6 months of membership (and various items) to your subscription at a time. There are no doubt tens, if not hundreds of thousands of codes floating around out there, distributed across countless vendors. Will you continue to accept the codes? I suspect you might have to. Will you ask the retailers to stop selling them?
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

They told us that there will be change's
That disrupt what we've known since some age's
While some find it good
And maybe we should
It makes us all fear in our base's

For the fear of unknown is the greatest
Unleashes the angst unabated
But what we don't know
May in hindsight show
That change is itself underrated

But one group has not been consulted
The animals are surely insulted
For if the game dies
So do they in my eyes
A big mass extinction resulted

Will they all cry please stop
The end of our lives this is not
For we may just be code
But with heart we were sold
Those hunters just love us alot

I do'nt think that this is the end
But my wife hopes it is in the trend
But whatever will come
If my time here is done
This game and you all are my friend....

Cheers

Schlachtwolf
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Schlachtwolf wrote:They told us that there will be change's
That disrupt what we've known since some age's
While some find it good
And maybe we should
It makes us all fear in our base's

For the fear of unknown is the greatest
Unleashes the angst unabated
But what we don't know
May in hindsight show
That change is itself underrated

But one group has not been consulted
The animals are surely insulted
For if the game dies
So do they in my eyes
A big mass extinction resulted

Will they all cry please stop
The end of our lives this is not
For we may just be code
But with heart we were sold
Those hunters just love us alot

I do'nt think that this is the end
But my wife hopes it is in the trend
But whatever will come
If my time here is done
This game and you all are my friend....

Cheers

Schlachtwolf
Some say it is the end of the game
However I don't feel the same
As long as they make money
We can keep our honey
And no one is to blame

There are some changes in the model
Which certainly isn't to coddle
The players who have been pampered
Might feel they now are hampered
And that's why some start waddle

Let's all just wait and see
Have one more cup of tea
Even if the game was closed
What we would still remember most
A great ten years should be
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

ah theHunter classic rap battle who says we dont get interesting things happening :lol:

theres still life here yet ! :D

the winner is hoo rabbit ! :)
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

TheHound wrote:Members are paying for free ammo, the animal licenses are an extra.

Animal licenses scare new players, and the prices too, thats the only reason they go to the "causal/arcade" version, money.
ALL animals on ALL reserves are FREE for members ALL of the time, and always have been. Animal licenses are only required if you are a guest.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

caledonianblues wrote:
TreeKiwi wrote:Since we know some changes are going to happen, starting today we will remove the 12 and 6 month membership options from the store. This is only a precaution to stop the potential for players to purchase a product that might change later down the line and we feel it’s only fair that you can decide how you want to spend your money, after we present the new business model.
How do you guys plan to tackle retail codes? It's still possible to purchase and activate retail codes, adding 6 months of membership (and various items) to your subscription at a time. There are no doubt tens, if not hundreds of thousands of codes floating around out there, distributed across countless vendors. Will you continue to accept the codes? I suspect you might have to. Will you ask the retailers to stop selling them?
I think if EW stopped honoring those codes, which would make sense, the first time a customer brought it back and said it doesn't work and got his money back, the retailers would stop selling them.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

stancomputerhunter wrote:I think if EW stopped honoring those codes, which would make sense, the first time a customer brought it back and said it doesn't work and got his money back, the retailers would stop selling them.
That would be one approach, but it wouldn't really be fair to the retailer that would be left out of pocket, or the consumer that had wasted their time. It would just be the wrong way to do it, and would damage Expansive Worlds' reputation both with the retailers and the consumers. It would however be the easy approach. Just switch off the code activation tool and deal with the fallout.

I've always thought retail versions of the game were a ridiculous idea. They were always too cheap, barely profitable for the company and forced the release of unfinished content to meet deadlines. Well, now there's another reason why they're a potential hassle. But, they're out there, and how the company deals with them will be very interesting.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”