Update About Memberships and Business Model

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
butter8808
Hunter

Re: Update About Memberships and Business Model

Post by butter8808 »

This is not a guess or an assumption, no one makes a game f2p to make more money. those that were never going to spend money on the game or very unlikely to spend money, now have no incentive to. Those like us that have financially supported the game for years have no reason to spend money on the game anymore as we own all the weapons and equipment already. The fact that you can earn your ammo for free is drastically undercut by the fact that you now have to go to the store and purchase new ammo all the time now. That was the biggest perk to having a membership was not worrying about ammo and not have a back pack full of boxes with 2 and 3 bullets in it.
One of the things driving a lot of us that have been with the game so long, that saw the new team take over, that went from 1 reserve with 5 animals to what we have now, is that we looked forward to the new species being introduced and new reserves to explore.
if the team is changing its focus to call of the wild(an inferior game in every aspect other than graphics) then we aren't ever going to see an african reserve, an american desert reserve an asian reserve of any kind. we are never going to get new animals or even subspecies of existing animals, turkeys, moose big horn sheep just to name a few. There is no longer any money in it for them. Over the years i have suggested many ways in which the team could have made more revenue in my, but i have usually been shouted down by those that think the team could do no wrong or that were adamantly opposed to spending more money or any money at all for that matter.
i have come to some deductions from what we have seen. while this will probably never be corroborated by team because why would they when we could never even get them to tell us how many animals actually spawned per map.
1 no more game updates, no new reserves no new animals
2 no truly new weapons, there may be some reskins but i doubt that there will be any new built from the ground up
3 with no new advancement to the game this means it is dead in the water.
4 while the truly free pay model is now a reality, this game is no longer going to attract any who would be long term users, and because i reason this to be so that means that there will be additional reason not to advance the game at all.

Honestly i am sad, i have been playing this game since march of 2010, i probably have 15,000 hours and thousands of dollars into this game, but if i dont have any hope of new content and i have to inconveniently purchase all my ammo for every hunt, then i have probably gone on my last expedition.
abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

Purchase all my ammo for every hunt, really?
And ammo boxes with 1 or 2 shells left isn't that great :evil:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

abslayer wrote: And ammo boxes with 1 or 2 shells left isn't that great :evil:
Yeah ! If they could be stackable , that would be useful and less annoying for sure .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

DYEUZ wrote:
abslayer wrote: And ammo boxes with 1 or 2 shells left isn't that great :evil:
Yeah ! If they could be stackable , that would be useful and less annoying for sure .
Yep. I haven't ran into any issues yet, but I haven't tried my loadouts that are tight on inventory space yet either. That's when it'll be a pain. Especially since the game gives you the partial boxes first when you click on them from inventory.

There are a couple of positives though that I hadn't considered before. First, tracer arrows are economical enough to use, so I'm using those exclusively now with my bows. Second, if I want to focus on one weapon and kill a ton of animals, I can bring as many boxes as I want, instead of being stuck with 3 boxes. This is very helpful in a duck hunt where I might want to focus on leveling up one shotgun, or a treestand hunt where I have a lot of action and want to continue using one bow. Would probably be great for bison hunts and such too, where you might bring 4 or 5 boxes of ammo. They'll cost you the same whether you use them in one hunt or several, so might as well load up and get after 'em.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

its actually amusing in a way as when theHunter started you only had ten rounds. you couldnt stack ammo. :D

what we used to do was well i did...was say the previous hunt you used 7 rounds you would shoot 3 rounds off at start of the next hunt or end of last one so you would have 10 rounds for the next fresh hunt. it doesnt really help now its just amusing that classic is doing what it did ten years ago and how people deal with it. :D
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Let's say i use myself for example .
Also let's say i have 3 packs of arrows in inventory .

Understanding that i would bring just 1 pack of arrows and other items to fill my backpack to it's capacity .
Hunt #1, i use 7 arrows . ( i use bows a lot )
Hunt #2 , i need to choose either the 3 arrows left or use a new pack of 10 ! Ok, i decide to use a new pack . I use 6 of them .
Hunt #3 , i'm stuck with one time 3 and one time 4 . So, either i use one of those , which imo and from experiences , will be short and have to go back to a lodge / tent eventually , if , i need more , or i use my last new pack of 10 ! If i use my new and last pack , i'll be making , most certainly , another tiny pack remaining .

Now see , if i could stack the 3 and 4 = 7 , that would be just great . It could take same space as a pack of 10 , i wouldn't mind ! I could go and use them all , 7 kills , without going back to a lodge / tent .

Some will say right from the bat : Why don't you bring , for hunt #2 , your 3 and a 10 ?
I would reply : Wouldn't make that much of a difference really and would take 2 spaces in backpack , so would need to adjust for it .
I would use , the 3 for sure , but will anyway , draw into the 10 and certainly leave some still. One difference , would be that i would have 1 less small packs now in my inventory .

These examples are or course , if i have small hunts or no real occasions to use them all ( 10 )
I also , haven't hunted that much , to have a good idea , of how it will be , for me .

If it could have been done , we would have gotten it before already , with the baits imo . ( Before the new bait management came out )
With time , it might get annoying a little , but we might also find some ways , to limit that annoyance .

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

larssc
Team Hunter

Post by larssc »

Why all the angst? Just play the game, or don't until it's dead. I got run over by a hog a the game froze. Big deal. Start Over.
Gas cost too much? Walk.
I know some people have real money invested as well as much time. Some select few have a right to feel more than a little put out.
Too much emotional investment for most others under five years here. Move on and grow up.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

larssc wrote:Why all the angst? Just play the game, or don't until it's dead. I got run over by a hog a the game froze. Big deal. Start Over.
Gas cost too much? Walk.
I know some people have real money invested as well as much time. Some select few have a right to feel more than a little put out.
Too much emotional investment for most others under five years here. Move on and grow up.
Welcome back larssc. Honestly, I don't think it's the financial investment, for most people. I think it's the fact that someone has taken something we care about and treated it with disrespect. Many of us have had a love affair with this game for the better part of a decade. Don't ask people to set emotions aside. Many of us have been in a relationship with theHunter longer than we have with the women in our lives. Being asked to just accept it and move on just makes us want to beat the ever-loving crap out of someone.

Just the way I look at it. I know we have no control. But if we have no passion, then it was all for nothing. If you're happy with the changes, great. For those of us that aren't, let us moan in peace. I think Avalanche Studios has taken a gold mine and shafted it right into the ground. I think the lack of business decorum is staggering and I believe a colossal mistake has been made. I wanted to be positive about this change, and I still hope for the sake of everyone that it works out, I just have zero faith in the intellect of the captains steering the ship.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

caledonianblues wrote: I just have zero faith in the intellect of the captains steering the ship.
Isn't the captain suppose to be the last to leave this sinking ship ?? I think he left already !! :o

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

larssc
Team Hunter

Post by larssc »

Those that have been moderators, beta testers, you tubers, tournament hosts/investors/creators such as you, Hoo, BC, Ron and others who
offered their time to make a community, that's the select few. My respect and gratitude.
That being said...

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”