Update About Memberships and Business Model

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Skybird
Hunter

Re: Update About Memberships and Business Model

Post by Skybird »

Stealthhunter wrote: I know, me personally won't be buying memberships for unlimited ammo if i know they are no going to add anything new to the game anymore.
Lets give them the freedom to collect that ammount of money needed to pay for the running costs of any server needed, okay? ;) . If no development is being done anymore, i agree however that the membership fee (=keeping-servers-alive fee) must be substantially reduced. While servers cost money and a minimum tech crew is required to stand on guard in case of technical emergencies, it costs not as much as maintaining a whole studio with developers and coders. Should be a fraction only.

Of course, when they pull the plug, better it would be to to make the game fully playable. It could be based on the total ammount of money invested by player over the years of his membership. If his years' fees meet a certain treshold amount of money, he gets a lifetime access code unlocking the game for SP, independent from online connection and servers. If there is a difference in money invested and treshhold sum of money, player can , if he wants, pay that difference, and then again gets that access.

Its the model I would prefer before any other.

I strongly disagree with their decision to now mysteriously hint at changes coming - and since then leaving everybody in uncertainty. They should have made sure that they are clear with their intended acts, and then simply explain it in one complete speech. Now they helped to cause and spread rumours and people are wondering and are busy with fearing for bad stuff happening. Good example of how not to do it.
hours: >960 / Hunter Score: >8400
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

EW has one expertise over the years. Not good, great examples of how not to do things. Don't hold your breath expecting anything done differently. Sometimes its difficult to imagine any one is in charge, with accountability to anyone at Avalanche or Nordic.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

I for one, would feel ok if the game continues running with what we have so far, as long the server is up and no major bug (a gamebreaking bug) show the face i will play and enjoy, but that's me, and maybe others old players can feel similar, however i dont think that point of view can appeal to new players, and probably EW would still want to attract new players even if The Hunter as game enter in his final age, so i think EW would have to keep developing at least for a while new items(weapons, vehicles, etc) and not simple reskins of existent stuff, to put in the front page and attract new people and get more profits. I dont think they bothered with the development of the new "Advanced weapons" just to make 2 weapons... but whatever the future holds for the game we only can await and see.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Stealthhunter
Tracker

Post by Stealthhunter »

Skybird wrote:
Stealthhunter wrote: I know, me personally won't be buying memberships for unlimited ammo if i know they are no going to add anything new to the game anymore.
Lets give them the freedom to collect that ammount of money needed to pay for the running costs of any server needed, okay? ;) . If no development is being done anymore, i agree however that the membership fee (=keeping-servers-alive fee) must be substantially reduced. While servers cost money and a minimum tech crew is required to stand on guard in case of technical emergencies, it costs not as much as maintaining a whole studio with developers and coders. Should be a fraction only.

Of course, when they pull the plug, better it would be to to make the game fully playable. It could be based on the total ammount of money invested by player over the years of his membership. If his years' fees meet a certain treshold amount of money, he gets a lifetime access code unlocking the game for SP, independent from online connection and servers. If there is a difference in money invested and treshhold sum of money, player can , if he wants, pay that difference, and then again gets that access.

Its the model I would prefer before any other.

I strongly disagree with their decision to now mysteriously hint at changes coming - and since then leaving everybody in uncertainty. They should have made sure that they are clear with their intended acts, and then simply explain it in one complete speech. Now they helped to cause and spread rumors and people are wondering and are busy with fearing for bad stuff happening. Good example of how not to do it.
Yes agree with what you are saying, i know they would need money to keep running the servers, but i would be unable to continue to keep putting money into the game because of membership which would mean i would probably have to stop playing which would be disappointing. All these posts in this section are all only guesses and fears like what you said as we don't know what is happening. This is an example of bad communication from the devs.
Please click this link if you are interested in joining up to the UHCapps site. You can win prizes and earn points to get em on the UHCapps
TurboKid
Tracker

Post by TurboKid »

EW messed up when they changed the hunter score, probably listening to a vocal non-paying or supporting minority. I would imagine the sale of weapons/reskins tanked after the removal of them affecting H.S.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

At the start of february and when i read about the Wolf Event i was planning to give it a go,sub again and dive back into the game but then this post appeared. When i read through the last pages and check back every now and theres still no further explanation about the whole thing going on, it makes it look like they havent even planned it out before posting this. Little bit unprofessionell imo. At least give a few concrete infos after close to a month… ? Nah ? Okay :D

Ill wait and see how they handle this, until then i play some more other games.
Greetings to everyone tho , hope all are well :)
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

D3AKUs wrote:At the start of february and when i read about the Wolf Event i was planning to give it a go,sub again and dive back into the game but then this post appeared. When i read through the last pages and check back every now and theres still no further explanation about the whole thing going on, it makes it look like they havent even planned it out before posting this. Little bit unprofessionell imo. At least give a few concrete infos after close to a month… ? Nah ? Okay :D

Ill wait and see how they handle this, until then i play some more other games.
Greetings to everyone tho , hope all are well :)
Well , Treekiwi posted the update about memberships because people got worried about the game and it's status (aka should i buy more Ems before this game pulls the plug).
So that is why EW decided to make this post that they are going to do something with the memberships to keep the game alive for a longer time.

I watched latest Classic stream and Treekiwi said that there is a decent chance that they will provide more information next week (so this week).
And if not this week than probably next week (so the week after this one).

How are you btw, i remember that we hunted once on Ibex with TK ;).

Dark
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

DarkHunterXX wrote:I watched latest Classic stream and Treekiwi said that there is a decent chance that they will provide more information next week (so this week).
And if not this week than probably next week (so the week after this one).
That's great, but not everyone watches the livestreams. Not everyone is available at that time. Just like not everyone uses Discord. So unless something is communicated here, chances are the majority might miss it.

I do hope there's another communication about memberships soon, because I agree with D3AKUs. This announcement was like lobbing a hand grenade into the room then walking away for everyone to be left wondering what just happened, or what was going to follow.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Well actually David, we have never shared information EVER on only one platform and I'm pretty sure you know this. But people were asking about it in stream, so that was the information I could provide them live... The magic of real time communication eh. As a reminder, the other thing about the streams is that people can watch them at anytime they like, there is always the VOD to watch, you can find that on the Expansive Worlds Twitch page under 'Videos' and they are also uploaded to the Expansive Worlds Youtube. We have not been the ones at all lobbing grenades, in fact I have stated many times over and over, that this is a move to ensure Classic is around for a long time yet and it is being made with the community in mind. Most members here are seeing the messaging for how it was intended, which is good! So lets all put the pins back in the grenades and the top back on the gas tanks ;)
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

caledonianblues wrote: That's great, but not everyone watches the livestreams. Not everyone is available at that time. Just like not everyone uses Discord. So unless something is communicated here, chances are the majority might miss it.

I do hope there's another communication about memberships soon, because I agree with D3AKUs. This announcement was like lobbing a hand grenade into the room then walking away for everyone to be left wondering what just happened, or what was going to follow.
Yes, you are right, not everyone watches the streams.
But still , the begin post from Tk stated: "As soon as we have more information to share with you all, it will be posted.".

I don't really get why people are getting impatient for news about the pay model.
As i said, they came up with this topic because so many people where wondering what will happen to classic in the future.
What i think: They posted it earlier than they might have wanted because we asked for it, it takes time for EW to set up things corretly so that is probably why the gap of silence /no updates about it feels so big.
If they would have informed us 3 weeks later the information we would receive would be faster and without big time gaps.

Dark
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”