Holiday Event 2018

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Re: Holiday Event 2018

Post by Ravenousfox »

DutchHunter74 wrote:
JimboCrow wrote: It seems you've found a seam in the game, and have exploited it to full advantage. Well that's just great, isn't it? Well, no, it isn't. You've just found another seam, another exploit I think should be sewn up right tight just as soon as possible, and the game returned to a purposeful challenge. This is an EMBARRASSMENT people!

In the past there was a four hour time period while a bait barrel recovered. At one time it even took days to reach full attraction. Now it takes 30 minutes. It's a joke. Pile 'em up kiddies, rack 'em and stack 'em. The game has become a frigging punchline. It's a crying shame!

And honestly, you know what, I don't think they care one way or the other about how ridiculous it has become, and I don't believe they'll bother to fix it either. Well maybe, possibly, but I doubt it. They actually WANT more people to come running to play theHunter (tell ALL your friends!!!) and pay to slaughter 30 animals in under 30 minutes, the way it ought to be in a "game." Finally, FINALLY, in their eyes, the game is perfect! "Man, how long did it take till we finally achieved this, ten years? What took us so long?"

Yours is the flagship hunting method now, just as 30 minute bait barrels and 5 minute hunts are now the defining symbols of the game. Bait barrels and werewolves, gingerbread rifles and Rudolf the red-nosed Reindeer... this has become a thrill-a-second seeker's arcade game now - how predictable, how utterly predictable. This was once a really GREAT game, you know? No, you don't. You'd never know it, not if you were just starting out now. You'd think it was ALWAYS A PARODY of hunting, like COTW is, and always was; but no, it was once actually a very realistic reflection of big game hunting, even to lifelong outdoor sports men and women, real enthusiasts, aficionados! It was amazing, truly amazing.... You see that you old guys? Read Thoreau was actually right all along. Bah! Humbug!
Oswald74 wrote:I still think this game needs different game modes:

- easy (arcade)
- medium (challanging but fun)
- hard (real hunting simulation)

Then run competitions in those different modes. Fun comps in easy, normal in medium and HARDCORE comps in hard mode.

MfG L.E.
Jimbo, I totally agree, I only play this game for two years now but my impression is more or like the same as yours. For the serious players there is no more challenge to participate in competitions or events, this because you already know in advance that you can never compete against "arcade" people who are playing this game as a "shooting" game instead of a "hunting" game...
But I know, everyone plays this game in his own way and that's fine..

Nevertheless, Oswald, great proposal, I really think so, that would solve a lot of frustration among the difference in players.
May I direct you to my thred on these comps for the xmas event...
Please give your thoughts there? :)
https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... 38#p962838
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Reaperis

Post by Reaperis »

I'm sorry to hear some of you seem to think I'm abusing an exploit, I don't see it that way and neither does the company or the select few I send videos of through pm of my hunts (I assume based on their reactions).
I too played in the days of Bear bait barrels needing to build up to 100%, Back when I had just the one at the marshes which attracted a similar amount of bears but obviously with very long penalties on shooting.

If you look closely at my hunts history though, I don't very much need bear bait barrels to do this, It's only a bit better but I prefer playing "Duck hunt" in a tower with bears over run and gunning in Whiterime Ridge.
This event is about is who can spend the most time and who can spend it most efficiently,
Obviously that means I and people like me will not treat it as a hunting game and just aim for kills per minute.
Something that was possible years ago too, Simply just not encouraged by a big event if I recall correctly. (High kill rates that is)

And for the record, I'm not even a big fan of feeders, I find that they devalue the animals they are for (I also felt this way about the older feeders but it wasn't as extreme) and makes any comp for that specific animal hard to win without them :)
It's for that very reason that I actually find Grizzly bears most enjoyable of the bears, I normally spend my time hunting on Timbergold with a bow in this game.

Now people seem to focus on only one aspect, But if it wasn't bears I'd be run and gunning Whiterime, If it wasn't Whiterime I'd be run and gunning Bushranger, If it wasn't Bushranger I'd probably be run and gunning Val-des-Bois's river or Shooting ducks by the hundreds in a blind. (Someone in the top 5 actually does / did this, I assume since it's more lenient with afking meanwhile)
I could also just aswell be doing 5 minute hunts given how fast the game loads, I could just spawn on a Tent with a tower and fast travel once to another tent and restart, This would probably be the most efficient way and get me more kills per minute than bears / Whiterime.
But that's a playstyle I really dislike.

Your problems seem to mostly be with the game / direction of it or the game industry as a whole however and not so much with me, But I wanted to clarify this in any case.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Reaperis wrote:This event is about is who can spend the most time and who can spend it most efficiently +
Obviously that means I and people like me will not treat it as a hunting game and just aim for kills per minute.
= pretty much is grinding .

Reaperis wrote:Your problems seem to mostly be with the game / direction of it or the game industry as a whole
= very true .

I honestly believe that a really simple way of doing these Events , would be , like we mentioned many times befores , in our case now , have a maximum of collected presents !!
Since they are all random scores , this would have been the only deciding way to climb the LB .
You pick up 100-200 presents , your done with the grinding / running of presents ! The rest , will be decided , not only with the scores you got with all these presents you picked up , but with how many comps / missions you can do , period .

Also, not put so much points with animals or even put any !

Damn ! I have 230 presents collected and i'm not even looking for them !! They just pop up in front of me .
See ? That's 2 already , side by side . Saw plenty like that pic.

If grinding Events would be my game , i would have been running either BRR or WRR . And Reaperis , you would have to kill lots of Bears my friend . ;) :lol:
Last edited by DYEUZ on December 5th, 2018, 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

P*Funk
Spotter

Post by P*Funk »

Anyone suggesting Reaperis is exploiting anything doesn't recognize the actual flaws here. This isn't some gap in the game's code that allows an exploit, its a product of the gameplay itself and all the design choices made. Even the oldest days of the game could be "exploited" this way, only the newer choices have made it easier, such as the barrel attraction penalty.

I do a lot of sim racing and its really no different in the end. If you're competing at the top level everyone is going to find the wrinkles in the simulation model, they're going to practice for absurd numbers of hours a day, use set up changes that shouldn't make you faster, hammer away at the track limits to find every extra inch permitted by the systems, and in the end the only factor that changes this is if the competition itself is built to not encourage this behavior, and that's where EW's methods here are responsible. The competitions here are designed to favour the unrealistic play style. They reward it.

Blaming the player for succeeding at the game is irresponsible on the part of those throwing blame around here. Its understandable to be upset about the direction the game has taken in many ways, but its no good to misdiagnose whats going on. I had taken a break from the game and came back right around when Whiterime ridge was released. I immediately noticed how ridiculously easy it was to bag dozens of animals with a powerful rifle. The game is how the game is. The competitions engender finding the maximum way to use it as it is. I don't think that's ever going to change, all that can is things like Christmas events that don't favour such an absurdly high kill rate. The most productive thing I think would be a community wide effort to shape how EW creates events to encourage less unrealistic hunting... if they'll listen.
Nockedup
Hunter

Post by Nockedup »

P*Funk wrote:Anyone suggesting Reaperis is exploiting anything doesn't recognize the actual flaws here. This isn't some gap in the game's code that allows an exploit, its a product of the gameplay itself and all the design choices made. Even the oldest days of the game could be "exploited" this way, only the newer choices have made it easier, such as the barrel attraction penalty.

I do a lot of sim racing and its really no different in the end. If you're competing at the top level everyone is going to find the wrinkles in the simulation model, they're going to practice for absurd numbers of hours a day, use set up changes that shouldn't make you faster, hammer away at the track limits to find every extra inch permitted by the systems, and in the end the only factor that changes this is if the competition itself is built to not encourage this behavior, and that's where EW's methods here are responsible. The competitions here are designed to favour the unrealistic play style. They reward it.

Blaming the player for succeeding at the game is irresponsible on the part of those throwing blame around here. Its understandable to be upset about the direction the game has taken in many ways, but its no good to misdiagnose whats going on. I had taken a break from the game and came back right around when Whiterime ridge was released. I immediately noticed how ridiculously easy it was to bag dozens of animals with a powerful rifle. The game is how the game is. The competitions engender finding the maximum way to use it as it is. I don't think that's ever going to change, all that can is things like Christmas events that don't favour such an absurdly high kill rate. The most productive thing I think would be a community wide effort to shape how EW creates events to encourage less unrealistic hunting... if they'll listen.
Yeah, what's the matter with everybody? It's pretty obvious that Reaperis is doing his part to encourage realistic hunting, isn't it? :lol:
Current Season Stats
Spoiler:
Nockedup's Twitch Channel

"Difficult doesn't mean impossible. It simply means that you have to work hard" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Reaperis

Post by Reaperis »

DYEUZ wrote: If grinding Events would be my game , I would have been running either BRR or WRR . And Reaperis , you would have to kill lots of Bears my friend . ;) :lol:
Of this I have no doubt :P
Nockedup wrote: Yeah, what's the matter with everybody? It's pretty obvious that Reaperis is doing his part to encourage realistic hunting, isn't it? :lol:
Damn, And here I was thinking I was encouraging everyone to pick up a rifle and shoot on sight in the wild IRL ;) /s

Btw I don't recall as many people complaining about last years competition's competitors.
From what I remember they basically grinded Ibex all day while using camping supplies and suicides to teleport to new mountains and simultaneously herding them into dead ends due to the AI getting stuck on those points often and or slowed to a snail's speed while climbing.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

You convinced me Reaperis , that it is not cheating , and i thx you for that , because you aren't obligated in any way to prove yourself .

The main problem is the way these Events are thought , are made . they are made for some to take advantage of the fact that EW opens a huge garage door for you to put your Beetle in it .Until they are willing to prevent that exploit , that advantage , i'd rather call it , it will always be like that .

These past couple years , in those Events , there as been nothing at all , for the '' normal '' players , nothing ! You want to be on top positions , you need to put a lot of time ! Well, putting a lot of time doesn't suit many people . Working people , families , kids , personal stuff , all are priorities and that is perfect like that .

Why are they still doing them like that ? Beats me !!

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

DYEUZ wrote:These past couple years , in those Events , there as been nothing at all , for the '' normal '' players , nothing ! You want to be on top positions , you need to put a lot of time ! Well, putting a lot of time doesn't suit many people . Working people , families , kids , personal stuff , all are priorities and that is perfect like that .
Exactly!!! EW seems to only cater to/reward the grinders, but I have a suspicion it is the more "normal" players that spend the most money and are the biggest supporters of this game. ;)

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

XxStrong1xX wrote: but I have a suspicion it is the more "normal" players that spend the most money and are the biggest supporters of this game. ;)
Including the unaware newbies , that get hooked right from the start , like most of us were .

FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

XxStrong1xX wrote:
Exactly!!! EW seems to only cater to/reward the grinders, but I have a suspicion it is the more "normal" players that spend the most money and are the biggest supporters of this game. ;)
+1
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”