Halloween 2018

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Halloween 2018

Post by Tanngnjostr »

XxStrong1xX wrote:Third day into this event and already we have a comp that requires a certain weapon that most players don't have. Not cool EW, not cool at all! So much for making this event fairer for the casual players. :roll:
To be fair, the weapon is on sale right now. It's always been this way: these special requirements boost sales for EW, but they usually also mean a discount for us. For me it's a win-win. And the .45-70 rifles are very popular, at least they used to be before the .340 was released.
But I get your point - too much of those requirements can frustrate those that don't own many weapons and don't want to buy the majority of them.
Image Image Image
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Tanngnjostr wrote:To be fair, the weapon is on sale right now. It's always been this way: these special requirements boost sales for EW, but they usually also mean a discount for us. For me it's a win-win. And the .45-70 rifles are very popular, at least they used to be before the .340 was released.
But I get your point - too much of those requirements can frustrate those that don't own many weapons and don't want to buy the majority of them.
Oh yes I've been around from the beginning pretty much so I know how things work here. But it is frustrating. Especially when I thought things were beginning to change when they said they were going to try to make it fairer for everyone to compete. I have the .340 and love it and don't really want to buy the .45-70 just to do a single comp. Plus as a long time free player, I think that free players should have a fair shot at these events as well. This is the first Halloween event I have gotten to really fully participate in because of being a free player in the past.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

caledonianblues wrote:I'm all for Halloween and fun events, and I think the werewolf is a pretty cool idea. I even enjoyed hunting it last year, despite feeling the event perhaps went on a bit too long. However, I just can't wrap my head around the decision to allow players to taxidermy the werewolf. To display that thing in your trophy lodge, in my opinion, just cheapens the entire feature of trophy lodges and devalues the time, effort and passion that went into creating them. I know I'm probably in the minority, if not alone, but I see this decision as another mark of theHunter having lost its soul. I mean no disrespect to anyone, but for me that decision alone has convinced me not to take part in this event, and not to renew my membership. Heartbreaking.
You are not alone. Can't believe they went this far with all the werewolf stuff. I have to add this to the wiki as huntable species now?

Game lost its soul is a good description. We have seen a steady growth on a very solid hunting game basis. Now it's short lived sensations. Maybe we get zombies and aliens next.

Pretty weird to not see you as a member David after everything you have done for the game for many years. Sure hope to see you stick around.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

HooCairs wrote:
caledonianblues wrote:I'm all for Halloween and fun events, and I think the werewolf is a pretty cool idea. I even enjoyed hunting it last year, despite feeling the event perhaps went on a bit too long. However, I just can't wrap my head around the decision to allow players to taxidermy the werewolf. To display that thing in your trophy lodge, in my opinion, just cheapens the entire feature of trophy lodges and devalues the time, effort and passion that went into creating them. I know I'm probably in the minority, if not alone, but I see this decision as another mark of theHunter having lost its soul. I mean no disrespect to anyone, but for me that decision alone has convinced me not to take part in this event, and not to renew my membership. Heartbreaking.
You are not alone. Can't believe they went this far with all the werewolf stuff. I have to add this to the wiki as huntable species now?

Game lost its soul is a good description. We have seen a steady growth on a very solid hunting game basis. Now it's short lived sensations. Maybe we get zombies and aliens next.

Pretty weird to not see you as a member David after everything you have done for the game for many years. Sure hope to see you stick around.
Well said David and Hoo. The traditionalists like me agree with this. I'm seriously considering completing Mission 8, and no further. I don't want "1 kill" in a blank section of the signature widget, and I certainly don't want a Werewolf in my lodge. Yes, the game has lost it's soul. Catering to the "instant gratification" crowd.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

stancomputerhunter wrote:
HooCairs wrote:

Well said David and Hoo. The traditionalists like me agree with this. I'm seriously considering completing Mission 8, and no further. I don't want "1 kill" in a blank section of the signature widget, and I certainly don't want a Werewolf in my lodge. Yes, the game has lost it's soul. Catering to the "instant gratification" crowd.
well in a way i see what you saying but " The traditionalists like me agree with this " is not really true. thats a bit of a bold statement obviously wrong aswell as basically 3 people mentioned something similar. not the whole player base. we all like different things. the addition of putting a werewolf in the lodge for some is enjoyable they like it. some obviously dont. you dont have to add it if you dont want to. i for eg added mine so i can see it up close. the fog / mist makes seeing them up close almost impossible especially with not being killed. also many wanted to be able to kill and mount them . which has been talked about on here many times or in the community in general.

Halloween is a massive sales oppurtunity and event in USA and other countries so catering for it shouldnt be a surprise. i have already seen many people say oooh great i will go download theHunter again. on steam in video comments on facebook and on twitter. so while it may annoy a few of the playerbase it may help the community more than it annoys.which for the greater good is better. ;)

you cant cater for everyone everytime. i dont agree with everything which is done but do try to look at both sides.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

ronMctube wrote:
stancomputerhunter wrote:
HooCairs wrote: You are not alone. Can't believe they went this far with all the werewolf stuff. I have to add this to the wiki as huntable species now?

well in a way i see what you saying but " The traditionalists like me agree with this " is not really true. thats a bit of a bold statement obviously wrong aswell as basically 3 people mentioned something similar. not the whole player base. we all like different things. the addition of putting a werewolf in the lodge for some is enjoyable they like it. some obviously dont. you dont have to add it if you dont want to. i for eg added mine so i can see it up close. the fog / mist makes seeing them up close almost impossible especially with not being killed. also many wanted to be able to kill and mount them . which has been talked about on here many times or in the community in general.

Halloween is a massive sales oppurtunity and event in USA and other countries so catering for it shouldnt be a surprise. i have already seen many people say oooh great i will go download theHunter again. on steam in video comments on facebook and on twitter. so while it may annoy a few of the playerbase it may help the community more than it annoys.which for the greater good is better. ;)

you cant cater for everyone everytime. i dont agree with everything which is done but do try to look at both sides.
I agree with your statement, Ron. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, especially being a conservative, traditionalist. I was just stating my opinion. How would I know I disagree with what EW is doing if I don't look at both sides? eh?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Well if my memory doesn't fail me, last years event was liked by many with the exceptions of, the elk mission placement that was difficult for quite a few, and the lack of being able to kill and harvest the WW.
Since I haven't started the event yet (will tonight and over the weekend) I can't say anything about the missions, but it seems EW did take care of the other issue from last year. They also figured out a way to monetize it for those not wanting to do the missions for a WW killing weapon. They made the event bigger than last year by adding to it. I am sure if they just rolled out the same one from last year they would have been an outcry of them not caring enough to change it.

I get the impression, especially from those that don't like the harvestable WW, and everything that has come along with it, that THC is above, or should be of such silliness. It is so far outside of reality that it should have no place in THC.

Honestly, 90% of the game is well outside of reality, and huge part of what makes re-playability possible and enjoyable.
One small part used for an event seems to have had quite the negative impact on a few players impression of what the game was before.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

@Ron Consider me proud to be in the company of two of the most outstanding and generous members this game and forum have ever seen as far as general opinion of this event/werewolves goes. I must be doing something right, thank you for prompting me to realize the situation. :)

@DHRRifleman To me, it's less about just this one event and more about a continuing and relatively new downward spiral.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

J_Birdman wrote:the werewolves are now persistent; They have scores/are now a leaderboard animal and are lodge-able
Oh yeah, how could I forget! The hockey mask is here to stay too, sorry. :oops:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

J_Birdman wrote:Oh yeah, how could I forget! The hockey mask is here to stay too, sorry. :oops:
With time , we might get a complete goalie outfit , to block his attacks ! :lol:

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”