Status Update - 26th September 2018

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Status Update - 26th September 2018

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Firstly I too would have hoped for a horse. Either to ride, as a pack animal or as both.
However, since it is obviously going to be a wheeled vehicle, if its a quad bike it needs to be restricted in heavily wooded and steep areas, and if its a jeep or similar it need to be restricted to the formed roads and wide open relatively gently sloped areas of the maps. If its taken into terrain steeper than the design limitations or if it is driven in an attempt to cross deep water, it should fall over or flood and remain inoperable until the next time the game is opened.
Both could be driven along and through waterways where beaches and water depth allow.
There should be a "vehicle allowed" and "vehicle not allowed" control for the Host of Multi player games to apply.
Both should have a carrying capacity commensurate their size.
The dog controls "get in/exit the blind" should apply to the vehicle as well.
Driving speeds should be controlled by the same controls as the walk button. IE run (max), walk (med), crouch (slow) and prone (dead slow) applied once you are in the vehicle. Spook radius and noise levels comparative to speed.
T.B.H. Vehicles have been in hunting games from Deer Hunter 2 or 3, and Deer Hunter 2003, Trophy Hunter 2003 etc. They were never a problem then, why should they be now.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Driving speeds should be controlled by the same controls as the walk button. IE run (max), walk (med), crouch (slow) and prone (dead slow) applied once you are in the vehicle. Spook radius and noise levels comparative to speed.
That's a very good idea.
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

caledonianblues wrote:I loved the retriever, and the immersion that hunting with a dog added to the game, but it should have been given much more love before new breeds were introduced. The dogs could have been so much more, with much better intelligence and functionality.
I'm not being contrarian, but genuinely curious, what do you find wrong with the retriever? I think of the three they seem to best and most consistently perform their function well (though my scenthound is 100% operational again, outta nowhere). I don't use the retrievers that much though so your comment's made me curious--as a waterfowler (or upland bird/rabbiter?) what do you find lacking?
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Just regarding the vehicle.

You might want to Watch this clip, I touch on it a little bit and why no body should be worried about it!

TK
Jagdreviermeister

Post by Jagdreviermeister »

So just like the dogs the vehicle might give the player some advantages but not necessarily, Mat? Then it affects the game more in it's adventure feeling than making hunting more or less efficient? Can one say that? However, I like adventure and I'm looking forward to this thing.
Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

I don't think it's about liking the vehicle or not.

It's about how does it affect multiplayer or not?!

My wishlist would have been:

Canoe / Kayak
Horse
ATV (Electric)

MfG L.E.

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Oswald74 wrote:It's about how does it affect multiplayer or not?!
I would imagine that as host of a multiplayer game, you will be able to specify whether or not vehicles can be used. My concern is more about people using them in single player to herd animals or traverse reserves with much greater speed and efficiency. It's fine to say not everyone has to use them, and that the game will remain unchanged for those that choose not to, but what if people can use them to gain an advantage? Then it sort of becomes a pay to win situation, which could in theory influence competitions and leaderboards. Purely speculation of course, since at this stage we don't know what sort of gain the vehicle will offer. It has to offer some sort of advantage though, right? Otherwise, what's the point of it? The question is how much that advantage puts those who don't own them at a disadvantage.
Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

caledonianblues wrote:… Otherwise, what's the point of it? ...
I asked this myself. With all those tents everyone has, where should we drive with it?!

Maybe from reserve to reserve in one hunt?

MfG L.E. ;)

ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

im sure the new fleeing mechanic will be added at some point. cause even with penalties unless the vehicle doesnt spook animals you will be able to herd animals into bays.for slaughter.how a drive currently works the animals can just be pushed down or up literally everytime when spooked. all they have to do is make the animals spook the opposite way of the players direction they going. unless we walk backwards !!! :lol:

seriously though the loggers point drive will really show if vehicles have a added effect advantage.it should be tested.only takes 10-15 on foot. on a faster vehicle should take 8 people and 5-10 minutes max.im happy to help see if it does. :D
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I think a vehicle should be an addition that helps you set up a reserve - so that you can drive around the reserve quickly, access your inventory from the vehicle and retrieve and place large equipment. Also, it should of course help you get to far-off places fast at the start of the hunt or as alternative means of fast travel. In my opinion it should in no way make sense to use it during a hunt. I've already said it, but I'm happy to repeat it: if it's possible to herd animals with it, or to spot and shoot them while you're driving around, game balance will most likely go down the drain. I feel like running around a reserve, looking for heavy tracks or tracks from groups of males already is a viable and effective strategy for some players. Imagine what happens once a vehicle comes into play.

From a business standpoint I don't understand it either. I think they put a lot of resources into it and of course they will likely earn a lot of money selling the vehicles, but tent sales will probably go down significantly, don't you think?

So if they make the vehicle too powerful, it'll be massive P2W and surely turn away a significant group of players. But if they make it so that you can't effectively use it while hunting, it'll disappoint another group of players and it might not sell enough for a return on investment.

I understand that a lot of players seem to have asked for a vehicle in the last poll(s). And those will probably be happy with it. But I fear it's a very controversial addition which will split the community - and for those that don't like it, it could become that final reason to go look for other games to play. :(
Image Image Image

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”