Meet the German Pointer

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Re: Meet the German Pointer

Post by Ravenousfox »

Gotta say I had my doubts about having another dog being added into the game but by far this the most fun/enjoyable dog to to hunt with in game. :)
+1 EW.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

@Graham,

could we get a info about how long we have to wait to refill the stamina from 0% to 200% ingame and offline?

Thank you :)
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

Pittie wrote:@Graham,

could we get a info about how long we have to wait to refill the stamina from 0% to 200% ingame and offline?

Thank you :)
+1
I was just wondering this myself. :)
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Beano8U wrote: My dog detected a Snowshoe Hare from around 600m away at level 4, approaching level 5.
I was at the buildings in the north of WR, ENE of Afterland Lodge. Commanded Cooper to go after rabbits/birds. I usually get 4 or 5 rabbits in the area where I gave the command, but he tracked a hare all the way over the mountain to the south.
I think the distance was around 600m or so. (definitely over 500m) Not sure if it was because there were no more hares in my original location or not, but I usually get more than one in this area as I mentioned.
I am still not to worried about this bug either, just a little concerned that it could be used to exploit a win in competitions where you need to harvest as many of a certain species as possible.
I don't 100% know how the dog works, but I wonder what happens if he starts tracking an animal and it flees before he actually points. Does he redirect to a new target animal or will he continue to track the animal he started tracking before if you don't call him off? If the latter, could he possibly have been following a rabbit that spooked before you ever saw/heard it and the rabbit continued to flee for a long ways? I know sometimes when the snowshoe hares get close to the base of a mountain with no brush, they can run a few hundred meters without ever stopping.
lamanorbu

Post by lamanorbu »

In my experience, if the animal gets spooked while the dog is pointing, the dog will just exit pointing mode; if the animal flees before it is found, the dog will continue to follow its tracks until it stops or it gets outside of detection range (at which point I presume the dog will switch to the next nearest animal if there's any in range).

Beano8U
Scout

Post by Beano8U »

Ravenousfox wrote:Gotta say I had my doubts about having another dog being added into the game but by far this the most fun/enjoyable dog to to hunt with in game. :)
+1 EW.
+1 also. A great introduction to the game.
I also found that my dog tracked a Snowshoe Hare from 600m because I was running in a certain direction. I guess the dog saw that I wanted to go that way and tracked accordingly?
Anyways. I am sure if I stood on he spot the would not track that far. Or if I went 100m and turned he will too.
Only one minor bug then (and it isn't even a bad one)

Lovely work. I love my Cooper. Thanks team :D

Beano8U
Scout

Post by Beano8U »

I seem to understand how the pointer works a little now.
Yeah, if the animal is spooked, I think the dog goes back to passive mode and will no longer track that animal. (low level dog, higher level may be different)
And you need to wait for the cooldown period to finish too.
Will test my Cooper again in the morning, off to bed now. Night all, o/

ClemD
Scout

Post by ClemD »

My German Pointer Angel doesn't seem to point to Willow Ptarmigans. While in detection mode, she was about 20 meters in front of me and walked between two ptarmigans without noticing them. They were less than a meter from the dog. When I got close to them, they flew away. In fact, she wasn't able to detect any ptarmigans during a couple of hunts even though I was seeing them around.

Rare: 153 – Non-Typical: 12
Competitions: 82 – Gold: 25, Silver: 29, Bronze: 23, Events: 5
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Got a theoricall question, imagine i have my pointer well trained(around lvl30) and is able to track deer, so now imagine i shot at a deer and is a body shot, the deer flees, there is no other deer track other than the blood track of the after mentioned deer, now i give the command to my dog to find the closest deer, since i have the track right there, would the pointer start tracking that deer and follow until it found it corpse(if is already dead) like if were the scent hound?

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
EndPin
Scout

Post by EndPin »

If the deer is wounded he would run out of the dog's range. In my estimation you would have to track until you got back into the dog's range before he would track again. That is where it would be nice to be able to use 2 dogs at once, then you could take your scent hound along also and use him.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”