Meet the German Pointer

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
calamar2000
Hunter

Re: Meet the German Pointer

Post by calamar2000 »

Pittie wrote:
EndPin wrote:That exclamation mark (!) just means that your dog understood your command.
Thank you, but why the dog do nothing?
yes he is working! if he does not seem to be doing anything he is looking for a trace!

paix.
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
greylaghunter
Scout

Post by greylaghunter »

I took my german pointer level 5 to loggers point fir rabbit hunting the dog found the rabbits in no time but I cant see them in the long grass my game setting are on max
Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

calamar2000 wrote:
Pittie wrote:
EndPin wrote:That exclamation mark (!) just means that your dog understood your command.
Thank you, but why the dog do nothing?
yes he is working! if he does not seem to be doing anything he is looking for a trace!

paix.
Also if "dog detection activated" disappear?

(If I give the track rabbits command, I get sometimes a exclamation mark and "dog detection activated", but 2 sec. later both disappear)
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

EndPin
Scout

Post by EndPin »

The only thing I can think of is that there is no rabbits in his detection radius. When the "dog detection activated" disappears, I think that he has stopped tracking, maybe because the rabbit has spooked.

greylaghunter
Scout

Post by greylaghunter »

my dog is now level 25 and she is now leading me to the rabbit warrens and pointing at them
james990
Outfitter

Post by james990 »

Very happy with the introduction of pointers.

After reading that the dogs pointing distance to the animal increases as it levels up is strange to me when it comes to small hiding game like cottontails and phesants. I would rather my dog be 20m away from a hiding rabbit than 40m, easier to find it the grass bushes if the dog is closer.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

james990 wrote:After reading that the dogs pointing distance to the animal increases as it levels up is strange to me when it comes to small hiding game like cottontails and phesants. I would rather my dog be 20m away from a hiding rabbit than 40m, easier to find it the grass bushes if the dog is closer.
Very good point - a higher pointing distance is good for the animals that will spook and flee, but for rabbits/hares and pheasants it's often a kind of a disadvantage. Maybe they should keep the pointing distance at 20 meters for those species, no matter the skill level?
Image Image Image
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

That's the part that is so unrealistic that it bugs me and why I don't enjoy using the pointer on deer etc. in game.

Pointer dogs in RL always spook animals. They'll then point at the animal where it is hiding.
That's why pointers don't work for animals that'll flee and not duck & hide.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
james990 wrote:After reading that the dogs pointing distance to the animal increases as it levels up is strange to me when it comes to small hiding game like cottontails and phesants. I would rather my dog be 20m away from a hiding rabbit than 40m, easier to find it the grass bushes if the dog is closer.
Very good point - a higher pointing distance is good for the animals that will spook and flee, but for rabbits/hares and pheasants it's often a kind of a disadvantage. Maybe they should keep the pointing distance at 20 meters for those species, no matter the skill level?
I definitely agree with this assessment. My pointer is still at a low enough level that I haven't experienced this ingame yet, but I will definitely be disappointed when he starts pointing small game from much farther off. This is a benefit for the foxes/coyotes/deer/bobcats but it certainly seems a disadvantage for the smaller critters. I would love to see the "teir 1" animals remain unaffected by this.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Another thing that I dislike about the pointer other than the fact that it don't fetch is how slowly it works a field when sent after birds or rabbits. The dog puts it nose to the ground and moves painfully slow It makes me feel like the dog is not excited to be out hunting. Those of you that have hunted over pointers know that is not the case IRL.
Spoiler:

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”