Meet the German Pointer

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Re: Meet the German Pointer

Post by TheSheWolf »

VonStratos wrote:Got a theoricall question, imagine i have my pointer well trained(around lvl30) and is able to track deer, so now imagine i shot at a deer and is a body shot, the deer flees, there is no other deer track other than the blood track of the after mentioned deer, now i give the command to my dog to find the closest deer, since i have the track right there, would the pointer start tracking that deer and follow until it found it corpse(if is already dead) like if were the scent hound?
I tested this with a coyote as soon as they came out, actually, though NOT with a WOUNDED animal, just a big coyote I'd spotted. The first time, she did just that, and ran to and pointed at the coyote, who hadn't gone all that far--and I was going that way, anyway.

The second time she did not; I assume it doesn't work on SPOOKED animals. She just wandered off into oblivion.

So tentatively I'm going to say no, they can't really be directed that way, unfortunately.
Commanche
Spotter

Post by Commanche »

My thoughts so far is that I've paid for a new hunting companion, that's it. I can do everything she does but in half the time / distance traveled. Hopefully the tracking / pointing gets better and quicker at higher levels. She's level 5 right now.
DutchHunter74
Tracker

Post by DutchHunter74 »

Thank you Graham and all members of the EW staff!

This is absolute a great addition to the game! I've hunted last weekend a few hours with my pointer and the way I can hunt pheasants and especially rabbits (those critters are otherwise hard to get) is absolute fantastic!
(now hoping that my pointer learns to retrieve/fetch & flush and that pointing deer etc. is given to my scent hound ;-)

EW, keep up the good work!
Last edited by DutchHunter74 on July 9th, 2018, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

DutchHunter74 wrote:Thank you Graham and all members of the EW staff!

This is absolute a great addition to the game! I've hunted last weekend a few hours with my pointer and the way I can hunt pheasants and especially rabbits (those critters are otherwise hard to get) is absolute fantastic!
(now hoping that my pointer learns to retrieve/fetch and that pointing deer etc. is given to my scent hound ;-)
Yes please!
Spoiler:
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

DutchHunter74 wrote: (now hoping that my pointer learns to retrieve/fetch and that pointing deer etc. is given to my scent hound ;-)
That'd be great and totally make sense!

I fully support this
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Commanche
Spotter

Post by Commanche »

Definitely support the fetch part. Same as my vizslas. At the moment I just hate the detours it takes. Spent hours running up and down VDB's river yesterday looking for bunnies... In BR it fared better, but it's almost like the dog takes a pre-planned route. Nevertheless, it's starting to grow on me.

Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Commanche wrote:it's almost like the dog takes a pre-planned route.
Before detecting anything, the dog mirrors your movements and always stays ahead/in front of you within a certain distance.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

One thing I do not understand.
If I give the track rabbits command, I get sometimes a exclamation mark and "dog detection activated", but 2 sec. later it disappear. What does this mean?
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

EndPin
Scout

Post by EndPin »

That exclamation mark (!) just means that your dog understood your command.

Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

EndPin wrote:That exclamation mark (!) just means that your dog understood your command.
Thank you, but why the dog do nothing?
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”