Meet the German Pointer

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Re: Meet the German Pointer

Post by TheSheWolf »

Ravenousfox wrote: Yeah... I don't know about that.
I just had my German Pointer detect the closest Euro Rabbit burrow nest from 1143m away.
You could literally clear the whole map with it.
If you set it off and it ran a long time and then found rabbits--if there's nothing in detection range they wander until they find a trail, so just because it sets off and runs around doesn't mean it's found anything yet! They can run around for a VERY long time (until exhaustion, in fact) and still find nothing.
EndPin wrote:After dog level 4, the level 2 (fox, geese, coyote) command shows open on the wheel, but do not work for me. When I try to use it my hand lowers, but nothing happens. I even tried to use it while looking at some geese that had landed and nothing happened.
Have you tried doing it while standing up? The Scent Hound won't allow Track Blood if you're kneeling so maybe it's related?
Last edited by TheSheWolf on July 5th, 2018, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

TheSheWolf wrote:
Ravenousfox wrote: Yeah... I don't know about that.
I just had my German Pointer detect the closest Euro Rabbit burrow nest from 1143m away.
You could literally clear the whole map with it.
If you set it off and it ran a long time and then found rabbits--if there's nothing in detection range they wander until they find a trail, so just because it sets off and runs around doesn't mean it's found anything yet! They can run around for a VERY long time (until exhaustion, in fact) and still find nothing.
M8, the dog pretty much went in a straight line like it knew where to go from the start, also turns right around if it's facing the wrong direction.
Feels almost like cheating - Pay to Win style.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

You just got lucky Rav.

It's not coded like that :)

Try it again!
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Ravenousfox wrote:To those that say this dog should only go after birds and not deer and onwards I say... why? that's boring.
I much prefer a dog that is more different than just buying another Retriever because that's what you pretty much would have if they only let it go after birds.
What I said is it should only go after small game and not deer. Larger game would have been better and made more senses if added to the scent hound and the pointer was give more upland game skills.
Spoiler:
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

TreeKiwi wrote:You just got lucky Rav.

It's not coded like that :)

Try it again!
Good to know.
Maybe tomorrow, gtg to bed for work.
RidgeBack69 wrote:
Ravenousfox wrote:To those that say this dog should only go after birds and not deer and onwards I say... why? that's boring.
I much prefer a dog that is more different than just buying another Retriever because that's what you pretty much would have if they only let it go after birds.
What I said is it should only go after small game and not deer. Larger game would have been better and made more senses if added to the scent hound and the pointer was give more upland game skills.
I like it the way it is but to each their own.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

I've noticed that with the Pointer it just runs ahead of you until it detects an animal. It's not until the "!" pops up in the lower left hand corner that it detects something and when it does it slows its pace until it's close enough to it's target and when that happens a "!!!" appears. I ran around for a while on BRR without it detecting anything. While in detection mode the dog travels quickly in whatever direction you're facing. It may appear your dog may be tracking something when it's really not.
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
Pretty_Boy
Outfitter

Post by Pretty_Boy »

Thx for info, this is gonna be fun :)

FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Post by FR_Bugs »

Thanks Seifer :)
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

EW missed the boat with the pointer. They basically created a jack of all trades dog and made the scent hound useless to take in the game. The pointer should be for upland game birds only with commands for seek, flush, retrieve. The features it has for the other medium game and deer should be added to the scent hound.
Mills
Outfitter

Post by Mills »

JamboWhoDat wrote:EW missed the boat with the pointer. They basically created a jack of all trades dog and made the scent hound useless to take in the game. The pointer should be for upland game birds only with commands for seek, flush, retrieve. The features it has for the other medium game and deer should be added to the scent hound.
100% agree. Maybe throw cottontails in the mix here too but this would make complete sense.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”