2018 Sneakathon Event

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: 2018 Sneakathon Event

Post by caledonianblues »

Beano8U wrote:What I meant to say is that at the end of the day I am supporting the progression of development into this game. What's 10$em really? Less than a good cup of coffee or lovely schooner of beer.
Supporting the game is great. I also do that. And 10 em$ is a tiny amount, you're right. But it's 10 em$ more than any other competition has ever cost to enter. I'm a huge advocate of this company making money but this is a counter-intuitive approach. Should we expect all special events to have an entry fee now? Is this something that might roll out to regular competitions? It's impossible to know, since I suspect none of us ever thought any competitions (special or otherwise) would have an entry fee. I know the event isn't over yet, but to compare to the same event last year:

Jimbo commented somewhere in this thread about feeling sorry for TreeKiwi for having to be the messenger, and I have to agree with him. Hopefully the feedback on the forum will be noted, and this will be the one and only competition ever to have an entry fee.
AngelOne63
Tracker

Post by AngelOne63 »

Hello everyone, I think that leaving the missions (like last year) is the only way for those who do not have time, to win a souvenir trophy, which with competitions will never have ...
Epona142
Scout

Post by Epona142 »

No missions? Pay to enter the competition? No thanks. =/
jeff1963
Hunter

Post by jeff1963 »

The event sets a poor precedence, and payout is weak. Why charge?
Thanks, ~Jeff

Wetland
Outfitter

Post by Wetland »

I also really like and look forward to the MISSIONS and associated SPECIAL TROPHYS that we normally get when EW has these Special Events! Guess we don't get any Missions this time. GGRRR

Wetland
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

RidgeBack69 wrote:
J_Birdman wrote:It's not about the amount, 10 em$ is nothing. It's about the principle. Why charge for an entry ticket? What is special about this event that deserves paying for it? Why not just make it a fun thing for all and create a few missions where a ticket could be earned instead of just outright purchased? And why not give us a look at the trophies like is usually done?

Aside from that, I'm failing to see a logical reason to set a precedent such as this. I don't really understand the marketing.. The total prize pool is 950 em$. Let's say there's a total of 1000 players that go for it and buy a ticket. That comes to 10,000 em$, subtract the 950 em$ prize pool, which leaves 9050 em$, which amounts to a profit of about $80 USD. Is $80 that important, is it really worth alienating a bunch of the playerbase for? This is baffling to me, can anyone offer some insight?
I don't remember ever seeing 1000 players registered for any comp. But I get your point.
Neither have I, but it was a nice round number to work with. They're a bit shy of 1000 entrants at the moment. Maybe they'll have a weekend surge to get to that $80 mark.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

J_Birdman wrote:
RidgeBack69 wrote:
J_Birdman wrote:It's not about the amount, 10 em$ is nothing. It's about the principle. Why charge for an entry ticket? What is special about this event that deserves paying for it? Why not just make it a fun thing for all and create a few missions where a ticket could be earned instead of just outright purchased? And why not give us a look at the trophies like is usually done?

Aside from that, I'm failing to see a logical reason to set a precedent such as this. I don't really understand the marketing.. The total prize pool is 950 em$. Let's say there's a total of 1000 players that go for it and buy a ticket. That comes to 10,000 em$, subtract the 950 em$ prize pool, which leaves 9050 em$, which amounts to a profit of about $80 USD. Is $80 that important, is it really worth alienating a bunch of the playerbase for? This is baffling to me, can anyone offer some insight?
I don't remember ever seeing 1000 players registered for any comp. But I get your point.
Neither have I, but it was a nice round number to work with. They're a bit shy of 1000 entrants at the moment. Maybe they'll have a weekend surge to get to that $80 mark.
Maybe! only another 935 entries left too get there.. :lol:
Spoiler:
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

J_Birdman wrote:Is $80 that important, is it really worth alienating a bunch of the playerbase for? This is baffling to me, can anyone offer some insight?
Because you can't buy 10 Em$.....
Personal Bests...
Stroitelstf

Post by Stroitelstf »

Why scores murder from over 30m in "The True Silent Hunter" ? What's going on? I want an explanation. Immediately.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Fletchette wrote:
J_Birdman wrote:Is $80 that important, is it really worth alienating a bunch of the playerbase for? This is baffling to me, can anyone offer some insight?
Because you can't buy 10 Em$.....
There it is, give the man a prize.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”