Perhaps a bowl of cookies? :P

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Important Security Reminder

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Mills wrote:Image
Now that qualifies as a corny joke.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Alena Rybik wrote:We've just detected a range of unauthorized log in attempts to a number of players' accounts. (This usually happens when some site's database gets hacked / leaked and usernames and passwords become available to culprits who then try to log in to other sites using the acquired login details.
Why are you 100% sure that it wasn't EW's database that was compromised?
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Levado wrote:
Alena Rybik wrote:We've just detected a range of unauthorized log in attempts to a number of players' accounts. (This usually happens when some site's database gets hacked / leaked and usernames and passwords become available to culprits who then try to log in to other sites using the acquired login details.
Why are you 100% sure that it wasn't EW's database that was compromised?
She didn't say she was 100% sure of anything...It sounds like they are seeing a large number of failed login attempts with incorrect passwords, meaning the "hackers" are trying passwords associated with email addresses that they got from some other database hoping the people were using the same passwords on both accounts. If EW's database had been compromised then the "hackers" would have the correct password every time, and wouldn't be triggering "unauthorized" login attempts.
Personal Bests...
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Fletchette wrote:She didn't say she was 100% sure of anything
She gave me the impression.
Fletchette wrote:If EW's database had been compromised then the "hackers" would have the correct password every time, and wouldn't be triggering "unauthorized" login attempts.
Those triggered "unauthorized" login attempts could be coming from logged out members who on return triggered "unauthorized" login attempts after the hacker changed their password (which doesn't require E-mail confirmation).
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Fletchette wrote:She didn't say she was 100% sure of anything...It sounds like they are seeing a large number of failed login attempts with incorrect passwords, meaning the "hackers" are trying passwords associated with email addresses that they got from some other database hoping the people were using the same passwords on both accounts. If EW's database had been compromised then the "hackers" would have the correct password every time, and wouldn't be triggering "unauthorized" login attempts.
Unfortunately after I changed my password to one I've never used before (not in the game, not on another site), the hackers were still able to access my account until I asked for it to be temporarily locked. How could this have happened if they were using login data they got from another database?

Anyway, we'll have to wait until next week and I hope that EW are able to find out what happened and how we/they can prevent it from happening again!
Image Image Image
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Tanngnjostr wrote:Unfortunately after I changed my password to one I've never used before (not in the game, not on another site), the hackers were still able to access my account until I asked for it to be temporarily locked. How could this have happened if they were using login data they got from another database?
If they don't log out, they'll continue to have access, regardless your password. ;)
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Levado wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:Unfortunately after I changed my password to one I've never used before (not in the game, not on another site), the hackers were still able to access my account until I asked for it to be temporarily locked. How could this have happened if they were using login data they got from another database?
If they don't log out, they'll continue to have access, regardless your password. ;)
This might be the case, but be aware that the time between me changing the password and the hacker starting the last game was around 12 hours. Maybe they just let the launcher run all this time, but even in this case I would expect some security measure to take effect!

EDIT: I don't want to spread panic here and I know that EW will do anything to get to the bottom of this - I just want to tell other hunters to watch their accounts closely these days. I'm not sure if changing your passwords is enough to feel 100% safe. Anyway, it looks like only a minority of players has been affected and that's a good thing!
Image Image Image
fastd
Spotter

Post by fastd »

Tanngnjostr... Did you send me a friends request in the last 48 hours. It seems odd after all this time.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

fastd wrote:Tanngnjostr... Did you send me a friends request in the last 48 hours. It seems odd after all this time.
I did definitely not send any friend requests in a while. Though I thought we already were on each other's friends lists to be honest.
Image Image Image

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”