Status & Game Updates 30 March 2017 - Baiting overhaul

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
dools24
Tracker

Re: Status & Game Updates 30 March 2017 - Baiting overhaul

Post by dools24 »

I would like to see attraction rates back how do you know the bait spot is good now even a bad spot is using as much bait as good one 10 units 24hr I had baits at 80% that worked fine now use more bait please EW team release where the spots,sites that these baits work and the numbers of animals that we should be getting we shouldn't as players be testing these things at our cost the way it has been explained so far is saying they might work or they might not find a better spot when baiting spots have to be right on marks to work you could release where they do work or don't the team even know
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

One thing that needs to be cleared up is the 150 metre penalty versus attraction range on goat feeders.
Is the attraction range actually 150 m same as the penalty or are the two different.
150 m is a very short attraction range and hardly seems consistant with my obsevations of goats moving towards feeders as they come into render.

If the attraction range is only 150 metres then bait sites only become usefull if you spawn and travel to them, shoot your goats and rinse repeat.
Otherwise you could actually do better with just a tower and tent in a good spawn area, because by sitting in the tower you would see goats render before they would be attracted by the bait site anyway.
My feelings are there is some sort of misunderstanding here.

The 30 min penalty can easily be circumnavigated by sitting in a tower with the bait set as close to the tower as possible, and shooting goats between render and 150m from the bait site. ( Unattracted Goats ?)
Or with multiple bait sites you can shoot one site inside the penalty distance, travel to the next site , do the same again and then on to your third site.
By the time you have done that the first site will be out of penalty.

Really I think returning to the original concept, of having no penalty until you leave the map, and having a longer non active period before the site started attracting again, would be a much more equitable system.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

DanthemanBoone wrote:One thing that needs to be cleared up is the 150 metre penalty versus attraction range on goat feeders.
Is the attraction range actually 150 m same as the penalty or are the two different.
150 m is a very short attraction range and hardly seems consistant with my obsevations of goats moving towards feeders as they come into render.

If the attraction range is only 150 metres then bait sites only become usefull if you spawn and travel to them, shoot your goats and rinse repeat.
Otherwise you could actually do better with just a tower and tent in a good spawn area, because by sitting in the tower you would see goats render before they would be attracted by the bait site anyway.
My feelings are there is some sort of misunderstanding here.

The 30 min penalty can easily be circumnavigated by sitting in a tower with the bait set as close to the tower as possible, and shooting goats between render and 150m from the bait site. ( Unattracted Goats ?)
Or with multiple bait sites you can shoot one site inside the penalty distance, travel to the next site , do the same again and then on to your third site.
By the time you have done that the first site will be out of penalty.

Really I think returning to the original concept, of having no penalty until you leave the map, and having a longer non active period before the site started attracting again, would be a much more equitable system.
The way I read it is that the bait is active or not, and the range is 150 meters for goats. Now as to the penalty trigger, it may still be how it was where any goat that was attracted will still trigger it for a set duration. So just because it is 150 meters away and heading in, doesn't mean it wasn't attracted already.

I still think as long as there is bait there should be a minimum attraction radius, even under penalty, and it should grow over the half hour. It would allow the stealthy bow hunter to hunt over it for a longer period of time.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

After hunting the Goat comp during the weekend,.. and using the goat feeder, it seems the goat penalty range Vs. animal spook time/distance could be implemented for the latter because
why would all goats that were not in the penalty range be affected? Maybe only other animals that were spooked from the fleeing/shot at animals like it does anywhere else. Maybe the individual goats that were spooked from being shot at should be to extend a longer flee period or distance of 400M which would take them out of the attraction range, especially on bigger wiser goats. a 150M attraction range is a bit small but should be the penalty range of 300M instead, and you would think that it would at least be as big as 500M or more for the attraction range, especially once the goat bait has been there for some time over a weeks period. Of course with a spawn at every hunt what is the correlation between the days it's been there already and it's effectiveness towards herds of wondering goats finding it for a 1 day hunt only?
Maybe a suggestion like DHRifleman wrote: "I still think as long as there is bait there should be a minimum attraction radius, even under penalty, and it should grow over the half hour."
That sounds like that could work if you made the maximum attraction radius to 0-1M under penalty and grew back to the maximum attraction range of 250M in set increments over the half hour.
0-1M for the first 10 minutes, 50M at 15 minutes, 100M at 20 minutes, 150M at 25 minutes, 250M at 30 minutes.
reinholt12
Spotter

Post by reinholt12 »

My thoughts so far on the baiting system is somewhat mixed, i like the fact we have gone away from attractiveness and over to inactive/active, but will be abit more difficult to find the hot spots now i believe.
I still dont like the penalty as it gives bow hunting absolutely no advantage, which i personally think it should have. So imo penalty should be removed and made into a penalty after game has ended, 3-4 hrs or so.
For the amount of animals i think for pigs its alright, getting 10 or more hogs on Logger's point, i struggle some more with Wild Boar, but amount seems good for me. Now when it comes to the bears i have seen all three of my barrels in Hemmeldal have 0 animals at them in the same hunt. Even swamp area in RFF i have had 0 bears at a couple of times which never happened before. Bears for me seem to range from 0-3 at most havent seen more at a barrel at same time. Think this could be fixed by increasing the spawn of bears around the barrel slightly.
Havent tried the goat mineral feeder yet as it seems sort of pointless, will most likely get one at some point anyway just to have it.

Cant really tell if i think this is better or worse than the old system, obviously not as good as the barrels before they got "fixed", But i like that there is less "downtime" for the barrels now but its just ruined by the penalty imo.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

A few comments about some of the points that have been raised recently:

How the penalty is triggered
The penalty condition is triggered when a baited animal is shot. The distance of that animal from the feeder is not taken into consideration, it's literally just a check to see if the animal's state is "baited" at the time when it is shot. If true, the penalty is invoked. There is no concept of "penalty radius".

Changes to the penalty
A number of people have suggested delaying the penalty until the end of the current hunt. On the old system this is roughly how it worked, because the old system used attraction and the penalty was effectively a decrease in the attraction level (something which was taken into consideration at the start of a hunt when determining how animals were spawned, i.e. it didn't impact the current hunt). The new penalty is a complete reduction of the attraction radius rather than a reduction in attraction level (a concept which no longer exists in the revised system). When a baited animal is shot the client makes a call to the backend and the timestamp is saved. That timestamp is used to determine whether 30 minutes have passed, letting the client know whether it can reinstate the radius of the feeder. If this API call was to be delayed until the end of the hunt, there are numerous circumstances under which the API call would not be made, the most obvious being a client crash. So delaying the penalty altogether is not an option with the revised system.

What is an option, is dropping the attraction radius to zero instantly and then slowly increasing it over the next 30 minutes, back to full radius. This means the penalty is still invoked instantly but the current hunt is not a total bust since the attraction radius will immediately start to build up again over time, and by the end of the 30 minutes, it will be back at full attraction radius. This was suggested earlier in the thread by DHRifleman and seems to be the most reasonable compromise. We are going to work on implementing this but cannot give an ETA at this moment. It will require extensive testing before being patched to live.
reinholt12
Spotter

Post by reinholt12 »

caledonianblues wrote: What is an option, is dropping the attraction radius to zero instantly and then slowly increasing it over the next 30 minutes, back to full radius. This means the penalty is still invoked instantly but the current hunt is not a total bust since the attraction radius will immediately start to build up again over time, and by the end of the 30 minutes, it will be back at full attraction radius. This was suggested earlier in the thread by DHRifleman and seems to be the most reasonable compromise. We are going to work on implementing this but cannot give an ETA at this moment. It will require extensive testing before being patched to live.
This sound good, way better than how is it now, as it is still possible to hunt at same barre, just with reduced effectiveness.
Just one quick question, what if you shoot another animal at the barrel/feeder, lets say 20 mins after the first one, will it then reset or still continue to reach max radius?
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

reinholt12 wrote:Just one quick question, what if you shoot another animal at the barrel/feeder, lets say 20 mins after the first one, will it then reset or still continue to reach max radius?
Each time a baited animal is shot, the timer will start again and the radius will drop back to zero and start increasing again.
reinholt12
Spotter

Post by reinholt12 »

caledonianblues wrote:
reinholt12 wrote:Just one quick question, what if you shoot another animal at the barrel/feeder, lets say 20 mins after the first one, will it then reset or still continue to reach max radius?
Each time a baited animal is shot, the timer will start again and the radius will drop back to zero and start increasing again.
Good, was the best option too imo
DOGGRIPSLLC
Tracker

Post by DOGGRIPSLLC »

Hey I baited bears and hogs with the new system. Really put some time in to it. All I can say is that its way way better then what we had. I just dont get all the negative vibes. On one bear hunt I was almost to my stand crawling there were bears at the feeder I could see. was suddenly charge by a bear that I did not see I shot it in the face with the .44 it still mauled me so I had to take a medic pack. when I re-materialized theres the bear laying dead and bears are still at my bait station. !!!!!! It dont get no better then this. The baiting system is working fantastic.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”