Crash Update - Workaround Test

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
helgoryon
Tracker

Re: Crash Update - Workaround Test

Post by helgoryon »

well done to all involved with the fix.i don't get crashes or many problems with the game so is it worth me doing the fix, or is it better to wait for patch.glad you guys are here helping everyone. Big pat on back;;;;
Roger_Mellie

Post by Roger_Mellie »

Ok for me some good stuff...

Seemed to have played quite well, tabbed in and out, used the Windows key a lot, no crashes on tabbing back into the game +1
I can now play World of Tanks at the same time as theHunter (this stopped around the time random crashes affected me) +1
Had players join and leave - no issues +1
Used both dogs - no issues +1

But....

Crashed when using the M key to see then map.... -1

dxdiag showed no problems though so may be you amazing people who developed this are on the right track. Thank you.

There are some who call me..... Simon. In game: Alf_Tupper
IzDaPat
Scout

Post by IzDaPat »

I was one of those 'special people' ( ;) ) who had the opportunity to test „The Fix“ for a few days before it was announced on the forum today.

While I hadn’t had the time for long games and extensive testing, everything I did try so far went absolutely flawlessly. SP, hosting MP, joining MP, Alt-Tabbing, accessing the map or inventory, harvesting an animal, taking screenshots and trophyshots – no crashes whatsoever.

From what I’ve read, my crashing issues hadn’t been as severe as what many others have experienced, but especially after the 1-hour-mark in any given session, pretty much anything I did in the game was Russian Roulette, potentially leading to a CTD. Thus far, the patched executable appears to have fixed all of that for me.

For several weeks now, I haven’t been able to hunt WRR for more than maybe 45 minutes before the game would inevitably crash, so that’s what I’m about to try next: a 2-3 hour WRR session. I will share my observations later today or tomorrow.

I’d like to use this opportunity to thank everyone involved in this – especially Pretty_Boy, David and John for their expertise, time and dedication – but also every player who decides to give this a shot and reports back on their results.

Happy Hunting!
Last edited by IzDaPat on July 6th, 2016, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbug
Outfitter

Post by tbug »

Awesome work everyone!!! I haven't suffered from crashes but I'm glad this is working.
TazDevil13

Post by TazDevil13 »

I have been using the work around that Pretty Boy posted since the 29th of June. I am using it on Steam and have no problems at all. I used to crash at about the 2 hour mark. I am not a WRR hunter so I can't speak about that. I wasn't getting many crashes throughout the 5 years plus I have been a member until recently. I feel confident that this is going in the right direction.
Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

Just finished hosting an open mp game, had people in and out constantly for 2hrs 15 mins, harvested 17 animals, alt tabbed countless times, went in and out of inventory and map as I pleased, recorded some footage with shadowplay and no crashes. Looking good :)
Ydunn
Scout

Post by Ydunn »

Thanks to all involved; knighthoods seem to be in order
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Ok, time to come clean LOL. Yes, I did have a lot to say about the issues with the game, and believe me I stand by my words as they have not changed.
John, being a good buddy of mine, msg me a few days ago about helping him to try out this "fix" method here because he knows that I couldn't even get past the "Hunt Now" screen without it crashing. So, of course we gave it a go. Because I am who I am and will always stand by my words, I made sure I started the game how I would with any game. That means ShadowPlay enabled, theHunter on its highest graphical settings, everything that would cause a crash. To my surprise, and we hunted together on WRR that first time, everything was FLAWLESS. Started no problem, Alt-Tabbed back and forth repeatedly, went into inventory, fast-traveled, you name it, we tried it. Absolutely NO issues. Even the Trophy Shots uploaded perfectly fine as they should . And also, the Trophy SHot even appeared n the scoresheet which was another issue for some.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/buck ... /465989695

I think these guys here nailed down the issue. I have hunted a couple of times since and have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. Good, good job goes out to Pretty_Boy, Fletchette, and CB. Even if this fix can be used as just a temporary band-aid while *ahem* EW's programmers figure out the causes of the issue, I'm all for it as at least the game can be played and enjoyed in the meantime instead of countless threads popping up about constant crashes. I say to release it, and let EW continue to figure it out.

But, keep in mind my personal position has not changed, and in fact this fix here has amplified that. Strange...the EW guys are getting paid all this money to do a job, and the game has been messed up for MONTHS on end. It took a couple of know-hows in the community to come up with a solid fix in a short while. I won't go into any details because this is a happy thread LOL, but will say that IMO, some of EW's "programmers" probably shouldn't get too comfy. I know if I was top brass, there'd be a little house cleaning goin on.
jlferrell
Hunter

Post by jlferrell »

Very well done everyone!
IzDaPat
Scout

Post by IzDaPat »

Alright, reporting back after a 2h 27m hunt on WRR. I’m happy to tell you that I remain crash-free!

The game was SP, highest graphics settings, I harvested 19 animals, walked 6.7 km, alt-tabbed excessively, listened to YouTube videos and podcasts in the background, took a few trophyshots and screenshots, went AFK several times, chatted with people on Steam – and it all went well. This would have been unthinkable before using the patch!

In short: I still fully recommend giving this workaround a try!

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”