Status Update - 19th May 2010

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Stefan Pettersson
Outfitter

Status Update - 19th May 2010

Post by Stefan Pettersson »

This is exactly the situation I feared. Wednesday evening, the forum counter for users online reaches significantly higher numbers than on other weekdays and I have no internet connection.

Fortunately I'm prepared, writing this on my laptop connected over bluetooth to my phone which in turn is connected to the internet. I'm glad I don't need to upload anything to Youtube this time, likely skyrocketing my phonebill (yes, as someone pointed out, another solution would be that I actually write and post these updates while at the office and not at home during the evenings). ;)

Enough rambling, lets get on with the important stuff...

The Update

Delayed, it is not, I'm happy to say (gotcha? ;)).

We are putting the last pieces into place and are testing them. One of them is the update and patch system. Although this update will require a heavy 600MB+ download we want to be able to push out future updates using small patches instead. This is especially important with this release since there are so many changes and a lot of inherited stuff that almost inevitable something is bound to go wrong. Combination humans and software development, better be safe than sorry. ;) The patch system will allow us to swiftly deal with new issues, as well as facilitate future feature updates through small patches downloaded by the launcher.

Talking about downloads... We will release the update during the next week, we will try to get it out early in the week to have time to fix any issues before the weekend (hopefully there will be none). To ease the load on the servers and avoid expensive bandwidth peaks we will announce here in the forum slightly before the release how you can get your hands on the new client, before it is automatically pushed out via the launcher when the switch is made to the new version.

Updated Fansite Kit

We've updated the fansite kit with new screenshots and new logos. It is not yet available on the website, but you may get it here already now.

Finally...

We do not intend to stop with these weekly Status Updates just because the update is released. We still believe in an open and honest communication, and the feedback we get on these posts are invaluable.

Next week will be exciting, let's end with a quote...

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Re: Status Update - 19th Mar 2010

Post by ElusiveShadow »

The update is next week, these status reports will continue and a Churchill quote?

Im impressed!

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
maxsisac
Hog Hunter

Post by maxsisac »

Another great update Stefan.
Thank you.
DereFonzie
Outfitter

Post by DereFonzie »

Doh you got me with the delay thing :lol:

Very good news here :D

Now im gonna be sitting in front of my pc refreshing the site until the update :lol:
toddk
Blacktail Hunter

Post by toddk »

Great update - I am very happy - soon we will have the new area :D

It is a very good idea that you will make updates - I look forward to them and will also do it after the big day next week
Lundberg
Hog Hunter

Post by Lundberg »

perfect. next week never seemd further away. Bra jobbat! :P
wintergoose
Outfitter

Post by wintergoose »

Exelent Sefan, atleast we have the target in sight.
I have to figure outh witch time of the day it will be easiest to download to Norway.
Were are the servers place from where we have to download ? Swedewn ore Ireland ?
By the way Stefen it is May no not Mars.
Tears
Chat Logger

Post by Tears »

Nothing more to say than WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Emil Hesslow
Outfitter

Post by Emil Hesslow »

wintergoose wrote:Were are the servers place from where we have to download ? Swedewn ore Ireland ?
We will put them up on fileplanet and sites like that. So hopefully servers around the world. We are also probably putting up a torrent so people that want can use bittorrent to get the client.
ReinierK
Outfitter

Post by ReinierK »

Sweet, sweet, sweet... and yes, you got me there for a sec! ;-)
I can't wait for the update and great to hear you're working on a "patching" approach... It's fairly normal to do that with online games these days and indeed it allows you to quickly roll out patches and fixes without users having to download big files.

Keep it up!

Edit: torrent is great as well, really helps to get rid of the load, we even used it at our university to update all PC's, just give one a torrent and the rest goes automatically ;-)

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”