Where are your kill shots?

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Simo77
Tracker

Where are your kill shots?

Post by Simo77 »

I read about "double lung" shots. Looking at various internet sites you can see that most people advise this broad-side shot. However, in game I rarely put down a deer with a broad-side shot. One that I (an admittedly inexperienced hunter and virtual hunter) deem to have good shot placement. Mostly they will go down but not be dead. Then i have to take another shot to finish them off.

However, often times when I'm calling a deer in, it only presents the head on shot. EVERY time I have taken a this type of shot aiming for the neck/chest area I drop them in one shot.

I also don't take many long shots. My longest one shot kill is 275ft. Which is not very far by leader board standards.

So I guess my question to you all is, where are you guys finding your kill shots come from? I've had great success with the front shots but when going for the "double lung" I've yet to one shot kill a deer. Also how far out are you guys usually shooting? I find that I typically shoot somewhere between 100 and 150ft. With a few beyond that and several less than that.
Weatherby
Hunter

Re: Where are your kill shots?

Post by Weatherby »

The lung shot is a known issue and is being worked on.
Kelvjy

Post by Kelvjy »

When I shoot a deer, I very rarely go for headshots. I normally aim for the chest/neck area, if there coming towards me its a 100% chance that I will shoot them through the chest. If i'm side on to a deer then it will be side of chest or if the situation allows a neck shot, they nomally go down or run a few feet and then drop. Also like you Simo my shots tend to be within the 100-150ft range.
Ashkeldir
Outfitter

Post by Ashkeldir »

In real life, a head shot is not recommended in most cases. You risk seriously maiming the animal, it is a very small target, the head moves most often and very quickly (if it moves it's head while you're squeezing the trigger, you could maim it, miss altogether, etc) Removing the animal's jaw with a rifle round is not necessarily an immediately fatal wound. In fact, deer can survive massive damage that would send a human into shock (they are attacked by predators often, and have a very sophisticated built in healing system). It would likely die a slow and painful death, possibly living long enough to starve because you weren't able to find it. Sorry, I'm trying to educate, not preach...

In the game, at closer ranges, the head and neck present fair sized targets, especially now because of the issue with some chest cavity shots. In the game, a head or neck shot is, at the moment, in my experience, always fatal.

I almost always take my shots when I have a stable platform (usually prone) and when I have a clear shot. That sometimes ends up being 25 feet away, and sometimes at the (for the game) extreme ranges. It all depends on the interposed grass/brush/trees/elevation changes and when the deer decides I deserve a clear shot. Of course, you want to set yourself up in a good position to try to get the best possible choice of shooting lanes/angles, with the best visibility in all directions in case one sneaks up beside you, especially when you are calling in an animal and expect it will come from a certain direction. However often enough, as in real life, the animals tend to surprise, and you get that moment of 'Oh! There it is!' and your shooting lane may not be clear - that's when you have to determine if you can move to get to a better position (without spooking it) because you are anticipating where the deer is going, or if you will have a better shooting lane by not changing position, because the animal may be moving to an area where you will get a clear shot. That sounded preachy didn't it... It's 8:30 am, I skipped work today so I could stay home to test, and I'm admitting it to the world... I just wanted to educate those who are not hunters and may not know this stuff.
Simo77
Tracker

Post by Simo77 »

All good stuff. it's good to know that I'm not the only one with issues with lung shot. Also, I've never attempted a head shot. What I meant is head-on. Striking the neck or chest area. Typically the chest but at the "stats" screen it always says neck.

The reason for my question was that a one shot kill is not only how it's supposed to be and more humane to the animal... but it's so satisfying. When they go down but don't die it taints your victory some.
Ashkeldir
Outfitter

Post by Ashkeldir »

Simo77 wrote:All good stuff. it's good to know that I'm not the only one with issues with lung shot. Also, I've never attempted a head shot. What I meant is head-on. Striking the neck or chest area. Typically the chest but at the "stats" screen it always says neck.

The reason for my question was that a one shot kill is not only how it's supposed to be and more humane to the animal... but it's so satisfying. When they go down but don't die it taints your victory some.
Agreed. FYI, the possibility is there for multiple wounds on an animal. I'll give an example to shorten my post :lol:

I was in a tower, aiming down at a buck's vitals (wanted the heart, basically) but he dropped his head as I squeezed the trigger, and the shot hit the head and penetrated to the heart and lungs. Very nice feeling - and yes, the game is designed to do this, it is not a bug.

There are a few minor issues with how the damage is reported as well, and that is also being worked on. It may say the head but show a picture of a neck shot, etc. It's in the works, and after all, what's really important is that you made the kill, right? :)

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”