Great Debate: Realism vs. fun

Collection of useful resources, including forum info and functionality, Dev AMAs and everything else you want to have a quick access to.
Flinter
Scout

Re: Great Debate: Realism vs. fun

Post by Flinter »

The drop shot thing is completely unrealistic however I have no problem with not having to track animals :p
Ydunn
Scout

Post by Ydunn »

In the last five years I have seen this discussion between members many times and I'm very happy to see the discussion started by moderators now. I have made many posts in defense of realism. I understand that seeing the steam reviews must not have been fun. It has nothing to do with the game in my opinion. You are targeting the steam user who is looking for a free-to-play game, which the Hunter is not (its more like a demo when you dont pay). You should target people who are interested in either simulation games or hunting games. I dont think it has anything to do with the realism and if anything I would make the game more realistic than it is right now (animal behaviour, fix callers, ...). Thinking the game should move away from realism to attract more people is a enormous mistake. You have something unique here, a good hunting simulation, moving away from that gets you closer to shooters ... and you will have to compete with literally thousands of games. There are so many really good shooter games, also free-to-play ... the hunter cannot compete with that. But there are hardly any real hunting simulations. That is your niche, you should stay there and make the simulation even better. Be THE hunting simulation not just another shooter with a hunting theme.

Think how operation flashpoint revolutionized the shooting genre. People thought it was hard and unforgiving, but they loved it. They stayed with the game and Bohemia interactive was rewarded for it. There are many examples of companies that succeed because they give gamers something that was not available before. Most of those games are born as a mod for an existing game. I'm sure that if you could mod 'the hunter', a even more realistic version of the game would be one of the first mods to be made.

People play the hunter because they have an itch they cant scratch anywhere else. Dont underestimate the gamer, they are not afraid of difficult games, they like to be challenged.

I say Go Knut!

Also as a side note, absolutely loving the dog ... in fact i have to go now ... the dog wants to go hunting
Sqwee
Outfitter

Post by Sqwee »

Ydunn wrote:In the last five years I have seen this discussion between members many times and I'm very happy to see the discussion started by moderators now. I have made many posts in defense of realism. I understand that seeing the steam reviews must not have been fun. It has nothing to do with the game in my opinion. You are targeting the steam user who is looking for a free-to-play game, which the Hunter is not (its more like a demo when you dont pay). You should target people who are interested in either simulation games or hunting games. I dont think it has anything to do with the realism and if anything I would make the game more realistic than it is right now (animal behaviour, fix callers, ...). Thinking the game should move away from realism to attract more people is a enormous mistake. You have something unique here, a good hunting simulation, moving away from that gets you closer to shooters ... and you will have to compete with literally thousands of games. There are so many really good shooter games, also free-to-play ... the hunter cannot compete with that. But there are hardly any real hunting simulations. That is your niche, you should stay there and make the simulation even better. Be THE hunting simulation not just another shooter with a hunting theme.

Think how operation flashpoint revolutionized the shooting genre. People thought it was hard and unforgiving, but they loved it. They stayed with the game and Bohemia interactive was rewarded for it. There are many examples of companies that succeed because they give gamers something that was not available before. Most of those games are born as a mod for an existing game. I'm sure that if you could mod 'the hunter', a even more realistic version of the game would be one of the first mods to be made.

People play the hunter because they have an itch they cant scratch anywhere else. Dont underestimate the gamer, they are not afraid of difficult games, they like to be challenged.

I say Go Knut!

Also as a side note, absolutely loving the dog ... in fact i have to go now ... the dog wants to go hunting
Exactly my feelings, my friend!
Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

I hunt a lot in real life, being able to play a game that brings me so close to real life is the reason I play thehunter and spend money on it
Adolamin
Tracker

Post by Adolamin »

If they change it one way or the other, I want a refund... In my opinion this is the type of discussion that is had when a game is failing, which thehunter is not...
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

This was a great debate, thank you contenders and participants for the entertainment and the insights. I've created a separate poll thread for us to judge a winner.

If anyone has a suggested topic for our next debate, or would like to be involved in one, please say so in the poll thread or send me a PM.

Return to “Official Game and Forum Information”