Forum attitude adjustment and new moderation policies

Collection of useful resources, including forum info and functionality, Dev AMAs and everything else you want to have a quick access to.
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Re: Forum attitude adjustment and new moderation policies

Post by MonacoSteve »

Well to add another comment: I also find the word "censorship" in this respect already too harsh and completely missing the point.

I have the impression that some who use the word simply mix it up with "control", or think that both is the same. Which is a big mistake.

(And by the way: I also have the impression that those who raise the loudest complains about "censorship" actually often deserve it most....)
KenpoSensei
Outfitter

Post by KenpoSensei »

JimboCrow wrote:
Maverick_2014 wrote:If you don't get satisfaction using "proper" means. Move. :lol:
No. Nobody's moving. We're in for the long haul. Our memberships are paid in full and we're here for the duration.

And if even one of our conscientious comments, told with dignity and respect, and which may or may not disagree entirely with EW's policies, decisions, strategies, and anything else that does not meet with our members' expectations (including forum moderation itself) are removed, that's censorship.
These are the key words! This is what I believe the new policy is trying to achieve, not censorship.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Semantics, I think.

Censorship (verb)
1. The act of examining <topics/posts> for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable.
2. The act of controlling the manners or morality of others.

We (moderators) do both of those, so therefor we do indeed "censor".

In this realm, the supreme high commander & benevolent overlord gets to decide what is "objectionable", and where to draw the line on "manners & morality"

In some cases & contexts, the word gets used to mean, "The stifling of ideas & opinions." But I think we've made it blatantly clear that is not the case here.

The HNIC (Head Nerd in Charge) could have defined objectionable to mean, "any post that doesn't blow sunshine up our backsides.", and any post that didn't comply would be "censored". They do have the right to say, "My house, my rules!". But they didn't do that. They allow us (forum members) to discuss just about anything we want, as long as we can do it with a little decorum.

I don't know if it can be made any clearer.

If someone is 100% diametrically opposed to any form of censorship whatsoever, they have 2 options: 1) censor yourself based on the forum's standards so we don't have to, or 2) go somewhere else where your behavior is acceptable.

Have a pleasant day! :D
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Alena Rybik wrote: I am sorry if you were under impression that the forum is the direct official channel of communication with the developers and every post written here gets read by us. It perhaps used to be the case before, when the community (and company) was much smaller, but right now it's simply impossible.
Hang on.....While I've always know the Forum was not required reading for the Devs, I am under the impression that the Bugs Reports Section of the Forum is indeed the "Official" way to report bugs. In fact, a few months ago, Alena, you implied in a post that the Bug Reports here on the Forum is the actual Bug Tracking System that the Devs use.

Also, it would seem to me that submitting Bug Reports to David in Support at NA Outdoors is odd, particularly those that are global software bugs (like when all the scope reticles disappeared after a patch a few moths ago). Perhaps this need to be clarified, but it's my understanding that support (David) really helps individual players with problems involving their accounts and installations, and has no ability to confirm/change/see bugs in code. I'm sure he can submit, and perhaps approve, bug reports, but are you really saying you want to report software bugs to David and not here on the Forum?
Personal Bests...
killertut
Master Hunter

Post by killertut »

you can report bugs via the forum and support. ;)

Feedback on my work as a moderator is always welcome!
AzGrumpy
Hunter

Post by AzGrumpy »

I also worked for the government (23 years) and for a major pc/software company as an engineer (17 years) and never once have I seen a forum used to hash out support issues.

As a small community we have had the luxury of being able to provide and receive feedback from development via the forum. It looks like those days are behind us and I certainly do understand why this is necessary. As the company grows, the product line expands, and the customer base rapidly multiplies, it is critical that support issues do not slip between the cracks. As a company trying to rely on a forum to support your customers concerns is nothing more than a recipe for disaster and an impossible task.

Alena is 100% correct if your just venting (appropriately) or looking for support from other community members then the forum is the place. If you expect an official company response then create the appropriate support request.
Lapehunter
Outfitter

Post by Lapehunter »

killertut wrote:you can report bugs via the forum and support. ;)
I think Fletchette meant to question if it's worth to submit bug reports in this forum anymore if the forum isn't official bug report base as everyone (sorry for using this word) has thought.

I'll continue submitting bug reports here, not to the support.

Image Image
killertut
Master Hunter

Post by killertut »

Lapehunter wrote:
I think Fletchette meant to question if it's worth to submit bug reports in this forum anymore if the forum isn't official bug report base as everyone (sorry for using this word) has thought.

I'll continue submitting bug reports here, not to the support.
to my understanding, both the forum and thehunter's support are official channels to submit bugs. when you post a bug in the forum, the moderators have a look at it and either approve or disapprove it. the bug will be added to the bug tracking system, if if it was approved.

Feedback on my work as a moderator is always welcome!
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

Lapehunter wrote:
Yes it is, I've never said it wasn't. As Killertut pointed out, you can report bugs both to support and in the Bug Forums, but only the first is the official channel where you can expect an answer from the dev team. We usually don't comment on reports in the bug forums, unless we need more information or feedback. Bugs from both channels go into our bug tracking system.

Edit: Killertut beat me to this :)
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Misunderstanding...

The quickest, and best way to get a bug into the official bug tracking system (Yes, it's different from the forums & disconnected) is to submit the bug in the Bugs forums.

Her statement generally applied to an "Open line of communication". Meaning no one should expect an answer directly from development anywhere in the forum, including the bugs section. On the rare occasion that we get one, we should consider ourselves blessed. :p

Popular requests & topics, and immediate issues do get forwarded to development. Sometimes they provide feedback to Alena, who in turn shares that feedback with the forum, the newsletter, etc...

All submitted bugs in the bugs forums get looked at. Some are disapproved (not a bug, not enough info, or duplicate, et.al.).
If the bug gets approved, and has a number in brackets in the subject "[1234]", that means it's in the official bug tracking system.

There are 9 people monitoring the bug forums. There is 1 person monitoring support (who also has to handle a lot of non-bug related support such as name changes, equipment removals, investigating missing em$ & trophies, problems with accounts, etc...)

Edit: tut & Alena both type faster than I. :D
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!

Return to “Official Game and Forum Information”