Forum attitude adjustment and new moderation policies

Collection of useful resources, including forum info and functionality, Dev AMAs and everything else you want to have a quick access to.
JayMisanthrope
Tracker

Re: Forum attitude adjustment and new moderation policies

Post by JayMisanthrope »

JimboCrow wrote:
TundraPuppy wrote:You can criticize anything and everything.

We don't moderate based on your opinion, we moderate based on how you express it.

Express it politely and calmly, and you won't notice any difference. :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got more out of Alena's post than that. QUOTE: "If you have already made dozens of posts disagreeing with company policy, company decisions, commercial decisions, company strategies or anything else relating to actions taken by the company which do not meet with your expectations, then you have made your point. From now on we are going to be moderating such posts and users very strictly with zero tolerance." Sounds to me like criticism of the company is absolutely forbidden. Alena, if I am misunderstanding this part of your post please explain, because I keep hearing everyone saying that's not what you meant, perhaps even yourself to alexmatt from France! What am I missing here????
You can complain she is just asking that you stop beating a dead horse it doesn't need to be repeated every 5 minutes. The tantrums is all she is asking to go away not the civil discussions about issues.
Maverick_2014
Outfitter

Post by Maverick_2014 »

JimboCrow wrote:

We don't moderate based on your opinion, we moderate based on how you express it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got more out of Alena's post than that. QUOTE: "If you have already made dozens of posts disagreeing with company policy, company decisions, commercial decisions, company strategies or anything else relating to actions taken by the company which do not meet with your expectations, then you have made your point. From now on we are going to be moderating such posts and users very strictly with zero tolerance." Sounds to me like criticism of the company is absolutely forbidden. Alena, if I am misunderstanding this part of your post please explain, because I keep hearing everyone saying that's not what you meant, perhaps even yourself to alexmatt from France! What am I missing here????
You'd only need to ask yourself whether "you have already made dozens of posts disagreeing with company policy, company decisions, commercial decisions, company strategies or anything else relating to actions taken by the company which do not meet with your expectations"

ie: If you have already. Don't. It's unnecessary. (It actually implies you COULD if you never did it before which imho, is not good either. Not my call. :))

In shorter words I used earlier, when you post, ask yourself, "Does EW need to be in the narrative?"
Maverick_2014
Outfitter

Post by Maverick_2014 »

TundraPuppy wrote:I also wish they would update the description on Steam to call it a "trial" instead of "free to play".
Moderator, Oh MODERATOR!!! This would be discussion about company policy and strategy and I've heard him say this before. Many times.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lapehunter
Outfitter

Post by Lapehunter »

Maverick_2014 wrote:
JimboCrow wrote:

You'd only need to ask yourself whether "you have already made dozens of posts disagreeing with company policy, company decisions, commercial decisions, company strategies or anything else relating to actions taken by the company which do not meet with your expectations"

ie: If you have already. Don't. It's unnecessary. (It actually implies you COULD if you never did it before which imho, is not good either. Not my call. :))

In shorter words I used earlier, when you post, ask yourself, "Does EW need to be in the narrative?"
So the word "dozens" is the key word here, right?

Image Image
jim1965
Scout

Post by jim1965 »

Well Mav you made have youre point now . but if someone has several different problems with this game then he is entitled to report it here and if you do not find necessary or that he should not do that, that is irrelevant. it's simple, you are a contented customer but there are others who may not be satisfied.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Sorry Jay Misanthrope, but it sounds like the iron fist in the velvet glove to me. I asked for clarification only because 'zero tolerance' is usually pretty clear.

And Maverick, as for EW not being in the narrative, they ARE the narrative. They are inextricably linked to their product because they are the sole provider (the only method of play being through their infrastructure.) This is not a product you take home like tires or Deer Hunter 2005. This is an online game which they retain complete and absolute control of, and therefore responsibility for. They can remove a user from access to both the game and the forum for whatever they deem 'inappropriate' behavior, and that's what's at issue here. So I do think they're part of the narrative. A better metaphor would be EW is the landlord of the apartment block, and we are the tenants.
Spoiler:

Say what you mean, mean what you say; decide upon it, do it, defend it. Keep an open mind, admit when you're wrong, forgive and forget.
Maverick_2014
Outfitter

Post by Maverick_2014 »

jim1965 wrote:Well Mav you made have youre point now . but if someone has several different problems with this game then he is entitled to report it here and if you do not find necessary or that he should not do that, that is irrelevant. it's simple, you are a contented customer but there are others who may not be satisfied.
A word. I am not a contented customer. Nor am I satisfied. I even mentioned I have been playing other games while I wait to see which way this goes. I actually visit the forums only to see what IS happening and what direction it's taking and frankly I've been dismayed with what I've seen - as many others clearly have to. I think this a watershed and long overdue.

The difference here is I don't make a big deal about a broken game - for whatever reason - and I don't start making baseless (and clearly improper) claims against the *company* in my discontent. It looks bad - for not only existing members - but newer, potential customers. This actually harms "my investment" in TH because the potential to turn customers away with such vehemence and nastiness is a real possibility.

Go and read Steam reviews and tell me whether you'd buy this? If I was smart enough to accept it as a lot of hot air over F2P, I would then arrive here and see disunity, brash rude posts - many from "veterans" as well, and I'd stay 1000 miles away from it. It MIGHT be justified but it's pointless and very harmful, to ALL of us.

Many here have taken exception to people who DO make a big deal about it (which is fine) BUT they have chosen to take it far further than it needs to go which is exactly what this "policy" - and much of the discussion - is about really.

It's a manners thing, not a content thing as some people are trying to imply. Being dissatisfied is not an excuse for abusive behaviour or - I would take it one step further - trying to imply how a company operates with what I'd say are some pretty wild (read defammatory) accusations.

More importantly, in answering your point specifically, if you put something up that may be contentious, don't expect it ever to remain unchallenged either. This is not the intent here. It is in HOW it's challenged and people just need to accept they cannot possibly be right every time and consider alternate views.

And, I hasten to add, that INCLUDES me. I can get pretty riled some times at what I read and try to inject some "old fashioned" discipline - much to many peoples chagrin I should stop. I will stop. :)

For my usual analogue. Consider we're all on a sinking ship. Yelling at the bloke who took your money for the trip, and is not even on the boat, or your fellow passengers, is not going to save us. We need to all pick up a bucket.... and bail.

At the moment this place has more Gilligans than Docs.... We need more Docs. They're listening. ;)

@Lapehunter
So the word "dozens" is the key word here, right?
I'm a betting man that the phrasing could be abused or misinterpreted, yes. ;)
Maverick_2014
Outfitter

Post by Maverick_2014 »

JimboCrow wrote:A better metaphor would be EW is the landlord of the apartment block, and we are the tenants.
An apt metaphor perhaps. Except some are intent on disrupting the other tenants about what the landlord is doing. I'd go further to say some are actually out on the street yelling at the landlord and waking up the entire neighbourhood by doing so. He doesn't even live here!

Why not just go and yell at the landlord? I'm sure he'd be more than happy to have you abuse him in his office - right before he calls security. Herein lies the crux of the matter. Would people make these SAME comments using the SAME manner in public and expect a different result? I think not.

If one were to present a list of issues to said landlord in a polite, direct and truthful manner, bound by where you are actually involved (ie: it's none of your business what ELSE he does) you are highly likely to get a response. Even better if the tenants worked together and placed a list of issues in a united manner.

If you don't get satisfaction using "proper" means. Move. :lol:
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Maverick_2014 wrote:If you don't get satisfaction using "proper" means. Move. :lol:
No. Nobody's moving. We're in for the long haul. Our memberships are paid in full and we're here for the duration.

And if even one of our conscientious comments, told with dignity and respect, and which may or may not disagree entirely with EW's policies, decisions, strategies, and anything else that does not meet with our members' expectations (including forum moderation itself) are removed, that's censorship.
Last edited by JimboCrow on March 9th, 2015, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

Say what you mean, mean what you say; decide upon it, do it, defend it. Keep an open mind, admit when you're wrong, forgive and forget.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Maverick_2014 wrote:If one were to present a list of issues to said landlord in a polite, direct and truthful manner, bound by where you are actually involved (ie: it's none of your business what ELSE he does) you are highly likely to get a response. Even better if the tenants worked together and placed a list of issues in a united manner.
Isn't that what the bug section is? Do we have responses for all of them one way or the other?

I didn't realize this forum is not an official channel of communication between the players and developers?
Does that mean if we are wondering what the official status is of a bug, or missing feature, we should open a ticket in the support section of the game to ask?
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD

Return to “Official Game and Forum Information”