Ask Me Anything with David NAOutdoors

Collection of useful resources, including forum info and functionality, Dev AMAs and everything else you want to have a quick access to.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Ask Me Anything with David NAOutdoors

Post by Fletchette »

NAOutdoors wrote:Hi everyone. There are a lot of interesting questions being asked and I am looking forward to answering those that I can. Unfortunately, some that are being asked I will not be able to answer due to they are game design related and bug fix "when" dates that I too, like you do not know. Please understand that I am not in Sweden where I have access to the rest of the development team first hand, I am in the USA and communicate with the team via Skype, Google Talk and email. I am mentioning this now so not to disappoint anyone with not being able to answer some of the questions asked.
It may help to give us a little more detail on exactly what you do........
Personal Bests...
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Hello David,
What are the chances of theHunter being at the great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg in 2015?
I see they still have some booths open so I would act fast if it is on the to do list.
As always we should be available to help.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
cobranegra2

Post by cobranegra2 »

Hello
Would be possible an arrow with tracker where we can view the position of the slaughtered animals with the aid of HunterMate?
Thank you in advance!

Olá
Seria possível uma flecha com rastreador, onde podemos visualizar a posição do animal abatido, com auxílio do HunterMate?
Agradeço antecipadamente!
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

Hello David, so glad that you are available to answer our questions and share information, can't thank you enough. :D
I'm another one of the dusty old hunters from back in the Hunter's Realm era, where most of us began our virtual hunting adventures, and I'd just like to express my gratitude to you, and all EW staff for developing the Hunter and keeping the virtual hunting grounds open for us to explore and enjoy.
As several of the other vets have expressed their thanks, I also include mine as well. Wishing you a great weekend Sir ! 8-)
Spoiler:
RevDubzz

Post by RevDubzz »

I have a question, Will we ever see a trade /auction system? :D
dado1602

Post by dado1602 »

Hi
I would like to ask a few questions

1. Are you guys consider to add option to sell mushrooms,guns and rifles in the game?
2. And are you considering putting some clothes for gm$
3. And the last question is is there ever gonna be equipment and lures for gm$

Flanker305
Trophy Hunter

Post by Flanker305 »

abslayer wrote:Hi David no Questions just want to let you know how much I and I am sure anyone who plays TH appreciates your work and help with problems in game.
Have a good day Bud 8-)
Exactly my thoughts. Thanks David!
NAOutdoors
Master Hunter

Post by NAOutdoors »

Dagremster wrote:Hi David,I have several quick questions to start off with :P
3. With the previous question in mind are there any plans to punish those that leave injured animals etc. around the reserves? (possibly have a stat for it)
No, There are currently no plans to punish anyone for leaving animals. There are unfortunate incidents like server disconnects that happen that are out of the developers and players control.

4. What is your favourite animal reserve and weapon within the game?
This is a tough one due to I like all the reserves. This would really be a tough call between Whitehart and Settler Creeks hunting Elk with the Recurve.

and finally my wife has asked for more girlie stuff as in clothes weapons and a bikini to catch the rays whilst waiting well the last part is my pennies worth
Having a line of clothing for female hunters is an excellent idea and my wife also has mentioned this. Unfortunately, it's not up to me to make the decision but, if Peter and the guys are reading... Hint hint ;)
Dagremster

Ps can we have gun dogs please :P
I too would like to see dog added at some point. Would be a great addition for waterfowl hunting.
killertut wrote:hello david, thanks for doing this ama and solving all my support related requests in the past :P

what i would like to ask is:
1) how difficult is it to be the only person from the staff that lives in the united states?
It's really not that bad. I have access to reach every team member 24/7. We communicate through google chat, email and video chat through skype.

2) if i remember correctly, you also hunt/hunted in real live!? whats your biggest trophy?
Yes, I am an avid hunter in real life. I started hunting with my dad when I was barely big enough to climb up into the treestand. My biggest trophy is be a 1800 pound Buffalo I killed in 1998. My best trophy was not so big, this was only a 5 points whitetail, my first buck I killed while hunting with my dad.
BucksNBuffalo wrote:Hey Dave,
Man, how'd they talk you into this one? Or were you threatened with bodily harm? :lol:
I promised I wouldn't tell ;)

Anyway, it's no secret that I have known you for many years prior to theHunter, as quite a few of us older guys here have been around the genre for years. We're all good friends, and have maintained our friendships through the best and the worst (Deer Hunter Tournament, anyone? :lol: )
So, I'll have two questions taking two different angles.

A) How do you feel theHunter ranks among some of the very best hunting titles out there, such as Deer Hunter 2005 for example, and what do you feel theHunter can improve upon?
For graphics and design I believe it ranks at the top of the charts. Though, I do see room for improvement for realistic. DH05 had something a lot of people liked and it's been asked for in theHunter, Fighting and (true) Non-Typicals. Both of these are something I would love to see added to this already great game.

B) As a well-seasoned, real life hunter, you bring a lot of real field experience to theHunter staff. How does this translate into gameplay, if any, and can you tell us a bit about your RL hunting experiences through the years?
In the early development my hunting experience was used a lot more than it is now. It's a lot easier to look something up on the internet and get many different angles than to just ask one person of their experience.

(without going into a lot of detail, we would be here for hours) I have hunted in many US states and Canada for a number of big game animals. My favorite weapon to hunt with is bow and also have several animals in the record books. I have taken more animals with bow than I have with rifle.

Bonus question: Rumor has it that a weapon we have in-game was modeled directly after a weapon you have in your RL arsonal. True or false? ;)
Yes, The .50 Cap Lock Muzzleloader is modeled from my own personal muzzleloader. This weapon was given to my by dad and we both have taken many animals with it.

The 308 Handgun is also a weapon of my own, only with a different texture in game. Mine is boring stainless with black laminated grips.

Thanks for doin this, buddy. I'm sure a lot of people will love your answers here. ;)
EBEALIEN wrote:Hello David,
We know how important your work, and the difficulties of managing all the requests in a satisfactory manner.

1) How much affect on your time, support requests, that could be met if the user is would document more in the special sections, and then allow time for more complex problems?
A lot of what comes to support are things that can not be answered through the wiki or forums. When it comes to questions about or issues with accounts, payments, missions not completing, competition awards not credited and so on, these can only be handles though support.

2) How much you believe important, that the local community officers and series, they can contribute in some way with the problems "so-called" venial, helping the new user to solve them?
The forums help section is monitored by the forum moderators and community itself. There are times where I'll look at the help section but, it's very rare that I need to jump in and answer something. We have a great community and very willing to help out new (and veteran if needed) players.
From what I have seen through support, for new users the biggest problem is getting the game up and running. The most common problem with not getting the game up and running is due to having out of date graphic drivers.

Add:
My personal compliments because I know how much you commit yourself, and best wishes for your work.
Thank you

EBEALIEN - Antonio
XandyBecas wrote:David:

Why do you love theHunter?
When I first was asked to to join theHunter by the previous development team, it was just another hunting title I would have a hand in. Over the years I have met a lot of great people and have now become a part of the current team. The players and development team is what makes me love theHunter. It is a part of my everyday life.
KenpoSensei wrote:David;

Do you have any time to enjoy the game as a hunter?
I do get to hunt once in a while but, not as often as I would like to.

I heard a rumor that not only are you an Accomplished Hunter IRL but also was a Professional Hunting Guide. . Is there any truth to this rumor?
Yes, It's true. I use to guide wild boar hunts. These hunts were done by the hunters choice of either running with dogs, spot & stalk or still hunting from the ground or treestand.

Which is your favorite reserve and why?
As mentioned above, this would be a tough call between Whitehart and Settler Creeks. If you twisted my arm, I would have to saw Whitehart. If Settler Creeks was in a Fall setting then there wouldn't be any question.

If you had only three weapons to hunt all the animals in theHunter which ones would they be? Why? (this question is going to get you in hot water ;) )
First would be the recurve. Bow hunting is my favorite and the recurve is a good challenge weapon.
Next would be the 50 caplock muzzleloader. It's mine :D
Third would be the 12Ga pump. It's permitted for everything in the game with the correct ammo.

Who is the better hunter in this game....you - or- your wife? Choose your answer carefully! :lol:
Depends on what we are hunting. She seems to have the better luck with geese. All other animals, well...
abslayer wrote:Hi David no Questions just want to let you know how much I and I am sure any one how plays TH appreciates your work and help with problem in game.
Have a good day Bud 8-)
This means a lot. Thank you my friend.
ronMctube wrote:just mirror what abslayer says. not well known about, never champions anything he does but probably one of the most important people here and very helpful.

would be great to see more about you and your hunter knowledge. very accomplished more than many here but many dont know this which i think is valuable information ;) .

look forward to this ama more than normal ;)
Above I mentioned about my hunting experience. Here is something a lot of people here may not know about me. I was a licensed taxidermist for several years. This means that not only did I get to hunt and then preserve my own trophies, I also got to work with other hunters and make their trophies a lasting memory as well.
extremebowhunter12 wrote:I got several questions for ya

could game trails from animals be on the reserves anytime soon? yes this is a shot in the dark as nothing been said but it would add a lot of realism, especially with whitetail as they don't stray far from trails and even when spooked will take the trail as they know where it goes.
With now having treestand in-game I don't think that we are getting full use of them because of not having game trails. There are a lot of things that I would like to see in-game like bucks/bulls fighting and non-typicals but, I believe having trails implemented would be right up on the top of my wish list.
However, I don't believe that we will see them any time real soon. I only hope that the programmer will prove me wrong and sneak this in for us. :)

possible that we will receive a salt lick, or corn or something for other animals like deer for the use of the hog feeder? was said more types of bait may be added later for the feeder, yet to see anything and I ask why we haven't?
Unfortunately, why we haven't isn't something I can answer. Having something like a salt lick would be a good addition to have with a trail system. This would give something to have in front of your trestand to get the animals to stop long enough for a shot.

will we receive anything that can be used as faster transportation, like and atv, jeep, truck, horse, boat, etc. in the near future?
In the near future, not that I am aware of.

will older animals keep being added more animations and sounds to make it more realistic?
Jose touched on this with his AMA
20: Have you considered making more animations and give already existing animals more natural and lifelike behaviours?
Yes, to several of the already existing animals.

as I think you know irl, if you hit an animal and runs off and piles up, when it piles up within your hearing range of this, you hear a thud with whatever plants/objects its by, whether its twigs, leaves, water, etc. could something like this be added to game, so far I have never seen anyone comment on something like this on the forums but I would like to see it be added as its common irl.
Yes, I know exactly what you are referring to. This would be a nice addition to have and would add a bit more realism. Can it be done? I believe it could but, I'm not a programmer. To add to this, I would also like to have a death moan for bear. Not sure if you have hunted bear in real life but, just as a bear is taking his last breath it lets out a moaning roar.

how realistic you guys plan to take this game? this game is going great so far but so much can still be added as towards realism.
As realistic as the programmers and artist can make it.

what have you hunted irl and what have you contributed to the game based off your real life experience?
Whitetail Deer, Turkey, Blacktail Deer, Feral Hog, Wild Boar, Bison, Pheasant, Mule Deer, Pronghorn Antelope, Elk, Black Bear, Caribou, Squirrel, Rabbit, Duck, Geese and Swan.
Also a range of exotics (non native here in the US) and hold several Gold, Silver and Bronze metals and also have the #1 Painted Desert Sheep taken with a Bow in the "Record of Exotics". Axis Deer, Fallow Deer, Red Deer, Aoudad Sheep, Texas Dall Ram, Corsican Ram, Hawaiian Black Ram, Mouflan Ram, Painted Desert Sheep, Merino Ram, Catalina Goat, Russian Boar, European Boar, Feral Hog.
T0MRf5 wrote:As you deal with support, I will change my normal question to if you could hunt one community member, who would it be?
KenpoSensei for thinking he could put me in the dog house with my answer to his question.
Your normal is about staff, I can still answer this one. This would be Peter. Peter and I have met a couple times now during his visits to the US. We have become friends and it would be good to see him again. The reason I would hunt him, because he hasn't made it back over over. :lol:

As rough percentage, how many support queries are actually necessary and how many do you you want to send back a "let me google that for you" link?
There is actually a very high average of "necessary" support questions. About 90% can only be answered through support. 8% can be found and answered through the forum and wiki and 2% would be a mix of players just saying hello or blank tickets.
DriftPrize wrote:Hi David,
1. Beer or Liquor? Sweet Tea or Water. I don't drink alcohol.

2. You prefer being lone wolf or team player?It's really a toss up. I hunt in SP most of the time but, I do enjoy hunting MP and meeting players. Once in a while I will host a hunt and allow players to come in and hunt my barrels, feeders or waterfowl blinds.

3. Have you went abroad? Which place is the fun to go? I have never been outside of North America. I was a commercial truck driver for 14 years and have traveled to Mexico, Canada and all US states minus Hawaii. Of the places I have been whether hunting or not, My favorite is Alaska. For years I have always wanted to visit New Zealand, though I believe I'll be in Sweden before New Zealand.
KenpoSensei wrote:
abslayer wrote:Hi David no Questions just want to let you know how much I and I am sure any one how plays TH appreciates your work and help with problem in game.
Have a good day Bud 8-)
Well said!!!Thanks
Cutch wrote:As others have said, we really appreciate your hard work and contributions in our
wonderful game, David. Thank you my friend.

A couple quick questions:
1.Do the Devs have future plans to add non-typicals (wt, md, and bt) into our game? Plans, yes, from what I understand. Unfortunately, how far down the road I do not know.
Imo, not matter how good a deer hunting game is,.....it's not complete without NT'S.I couldn't agree more.

2. Because the ground work has been done (for a long time) with mushrooms, pumpkins,
etc will SHEDS (Deer antlers that have been dropped by bucks after fall rut for those not
in the know), be added in our game? This addition would be lots of fun if so, with many
different missions, comps, etc.This too is something that has been brought up with the team and talked about. Sheds would be a little more than just picking them up like the mushrooms and other collectables. For sheds to to be correctly added they would need to have more of a purpose and more of the team involved in their creation. For them to work like IRL, they would need to be able to have a score and place on the leaderboard. Once this is done then comes missions and competitions for finding and picking them up.
Hunting sheds is an enjoyable activity and is another one of my favorite outdoor activities.

Thank you, my long time friend. ;)
Violator31 wrote:Hey David,
Thanx for all you are doing here!!!
Questions;
Are you responsible for this web site = http://maps.naoutdoors.com/ if so, is there plans to complete it? Because it is VERY COOL!!!
yes, and also my equipment setup at http://thehunter.naoutdoors.com/. When the map system was moved from google to the current, I did not plan on continuing work on either of these 2 maps. As time has gone by I have realized how much I have missed working on them and do plan on picking them both back up.

I am also curious about the "sheds" and non-typicals.

Thanx again,
Paul
riffraff24 wrote:Hello,

When harvesting animals, you get the calculating score timer thingy.
Is there actually something being calculated, or is it cosmetic?
When harvesting goose for example, sometimes the score appears directly, and sometimes it takes 5 or 6 seconds.
Why would there be a difference, if it is the same animals shot with the same gun and ammo?

Thank you.
This is just a loading animation while the information on the harvest is being transferred from the client to the server and statistics.
DHRifleman wrote:Hello David,
What are the chances of theHunter being at the great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg in 2015?
I see they still have some booths open so I would act fast if it is on the to do list.
As always we should be available to help.
It would be great to see you two again but, theHunter will not be at the show this year. We appreciate the offer to help and the help that you both have given in the past.
cobranegra2 wrote:Hello
Would be possible an arrow with tracker where we can view the position of the slaughtered animals with the aid of HunterMate?
No, There are no plan to add this type of aid to the game.

Thank you in advance!
Swampfox49 wrote:Hello David, so glad that you are available to answer our questions and share information, can't thank you enough. :D
I'm another one of the dusty old hunters from back in the Hunter's Realm era, where most of us began our virtual hunting adventures, and I'd just like to express my gratitude to you, and all EW staff for developing the Hunter and keeping the virtual hunting grounds open for us to explore and enjoy.
As several of the other vets have expressed their thanks, I also include mine as well. Wishing you a great weekend Sir ! 8-)
Thanks you and all the vets for their long time support.
RevDubzz wrote:I have a question, Will we ever see a trade /auction system? :D
currently there are no plans for this type of system.
dado1602 wrote:Hi
I would like to ask a few questions

1. Are you guys consider to add option to sell mushrooms,guns and rifles in the game?
Not that I am aware of.
2. And are you considering putting some clothes for gm$
3. And the last question is is there ever gonna be equipment and lures for gm$
At some point these could be possible for select items.

Flanker305 wrote:
abslayer wrote:Hi David no Questions just want to let you know how much I and I am sure anyone who plays TH appreciates your work and help with problems in game.
Have a good day Bud 8-)
Exactly my thoughts. Thanks David!
Thank you. And also thank you for all that you and the mods do to help the community.

Return to “Official Game and Forum Information”