Ask Me Anything with José

Collection of useful resources, including forum info and functionality, Dev AMAs and everything else you want to have a quick access to.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Re: Ask Me Anything with José

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Hello José,

Yet another brave soul from EW! Nice that you guys do this. Ok, so question time:

1) Both the Black and Brown Bears are great animals to hunt. However, they seem to have very limited animations compared to the other animals, and they both have a very odd walking and running animation. Plus, it is common for bears to stand up on their hind legs to get a better view, and of course to threaten. We have this standing animation for the Cottontail Rabbit, but not the bears. Are there any plans to revisit these and correct them?

2) Are you happy with the overall animations of the animals, and even if so, is there anything that you would like to change?

3) In what ways do you go about conducting your research for new animal animations?

4) If Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee got into an argument, whose your money on?

5) Paper or Plastic?

;)
Caosss

Post by Caosss »

Have you considered making more animations and give already existing animals more natural and lifelike behaviours?

Like have them look like they drink from rivers, look like they eat grass and leaves etc. Maybe even have them interact with eachother.
Currently the animals are abit robotic, tracking a deer for over a kilometer and when you look at the GPS, and you connect the dots from tracks, and you realize you have been walking in a straight line the whole time, kinda kills immersion abit to say the least.
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

Brown Bear Animations... BB has been out for 18 Months +-, why are they still not walking on the surface (like most animals feet sinking in the ground)?

Will bears and other animals animations ever be changed so they can walk uphill without headbanging into the sides of the hill?
Last edited by INTIMID883R on June 27th, 2014, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
spyeyesopen
Scout

Post by spyeyesopen »

From its library of animations, you could produce a video of them?
wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

I have so many questions, but will begin here:
1. Is AI part-and-partial to your job?
2. Does adding animations add a lot of AI to each animal?
3. Does increasing the AI of each species increase the draw on system resources, let's say, as much as the graphics and textures?
4. If each animal is at near max animation capabilities, would it be possible for user to choose max level animations over highest quality textures.
Mumba
Scout

Post by Mumba »

Hello José .
I have just a main question , and never anybody from the staff talked about it until (i hope so ) now.
Can you tell me what is the technical reason of all those shaking in theHunter , almost everything is shaking ,
the weapons , the hands , all the animations , the trees when you stand near , the blinds , the lures well everything even the ground
textures are shaking when you look carefully at your feet .
Why this shaking does not happen in Just cause 2 (almost the same graphic engine).
Why do we have also the head shaking when we walk ? (up and down) just take any bino and look at few meters from the feet when walking and you will found out about what i am talking .
Why any ragdoll have to shake when the animals are killed ?
Thanks for any comment about that :)
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

the reload animation, for all of the anscutz, lever-actions and the pump action shotgun are wrong. if you reload without completely emptying the magazine. after replacing the required number of rounds back in to the magazine, the animation shows you cycle the action unnecessarily and spitting out a live round at the end of the reload sequence.

also the reload on the 20 gauge semi auto is wrong . it inserts 3 rounds into the mag but dosent cycle the action. the gun needs to be cycled if it dosent have a live round in the chamber.

the last 1 isn't wrong but its just a pet peeve of mine. all but the single shot 12 gauge, upon first reload after leaving the lodge have the weapon ejects spent or unspent cartridge. as if the gun was put away with a live or empty cartridge in the chamber (not good gun practice).

im aware this is probably down to guns just having a single reload animation but in most cases they just need croping down to remove the weapon action cycle at the end. only the 20 gauge needs more adding

will or can this ever be corrected?. thanks
Outlaw88uk
Spotter

Post by Outlaw88uk »

Hello, My question is in regards to the Blaser R8 Bolt Action Rifle . Basically is there any chance if possible in the near future to make the time between shooting and reloading to be shortened? in the description it says "lightning fast succession of shots " but I can get just as many shots off in the same amount of time using the Anschütz 1780 Rifle, Just a Second-Half Second increase would make this rifle so much better, yes its quick, but not lightning fast.

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Ace.
extremebowhunter12
Hunter

Post by extremebowhunter12 »

1.) me and a few buddies of mine are starting to think about animations and what not, and there hasn't been a new animal animation in a long long time it seems (well at least on our old animals). you guys plan to add some more animations for animals this year to say or soon?

2.) is there a possibility a call animation for elk and sound known as chuckling could be added to game? this is a personal opinion, but that's my favorite noise they make irl.

3.) will bow penetration ever be changed to fit more realistic hunting based off real life? cause the bows perform less than what they should, a recurve for instance should be able to get double lunglung on an elk even at 40 yards with around a 60-70lb bow. and for deer even further. compounds at 60lbs like I have used irl can double lung an elk at 70-75 yards just fine.

4.) will we ever receive arrow pass through's? a bowhunting aspect that seems to be missing, with bows 50lbs and up, you should get pass through's a bit, unless its a longbow or recurve at those pounds, 60+lbs will get you pass through's on a recurve and a longbow a little lest than that.

5.) add more bows to game? we haven't had a new bow in a long while. The various compounds and traditional bows can be heavily improved on based on the variety out there. heck I wouldn't mind a week of just you guys making bows for the game :lol:

6.) possibility for flu flu's to ever be added to game? if you don't know what they are, they are like huge fletching on an arrow, normally bright colors like orange, yellow, red, etc. they are meant so the arrows don't fly over a long distance like reg. arrows, best for wing shooting or for rabbits even. after long distance they slow down the arrows... eventually the arrow lands, normally they land sticking up. and don't go far at all. would have to be reg. broadheads on them for geese and maybe some snaro points for small birds like pheasant, ducks, and rabbits even. a snaro bird point is a blunt that has 4 snares running off of the blunt, works really well on small birds. the part of having flu flu's would eventually being added retrieving them for reuse, obviously if you loose one its gone and you have to buy more, heck even tracers can be on these as well which is really fun early morning or late evening hunts.

7.) another hint on new species maybe ;)

8.) possibility of adding more ammunition for other weapons? like 65gr bullet for .223 or buckshot for 20ga, etc.?

9.) will we get an alternative way to travel in the future? by horse, vehicle, etc.

10.) what do you feel our game needs the most as in improving the realism aspect of the game?

11.) do you think the ethic system should be improved and worked out in another way? like .270 ethical for elk, or .243 ethical for elk with right grain of bullet, but instead just limit the old .243 (standard) to hunting what its used for now and make a new .243 with different ammunition for bear, elk and what not?

12.) will the heart be moved to a more normal position on deer and elk, etc. its a bit forward, irl its just right behind the shoulder, in game its under the shoulder.

13.) could the vital responses I guess you could say, will change? for instance irl animals don't drop on double lung shots or lung and liver, or heart shots, with a bow that is. It has happened but its pretty rare happening. and on spine/neck shots they kick around there legs like they are running almost but on there side so they can't. this could level out if you guys ever put in more realistic bow penetration. bullets on the other hand use shock to drop the animal, arrows don't have that.

14.) this is more of a comment and I didn't know if you guys knew this, but the black bear and as for penetration, its close to a deer, their hide is less thick than an elk. that's why in the state of Oregon, they have it so its 40lb draw weight minimum for deer, cougar, antelope, and smaller game, and at least 50lbs for elk and anything bigger. fun fact, for Idaho its 40lb at least for all game.

sorry for all the questions and how I typed so much, I missed the last few Q&A... that's partly the reason. But thank you for your time! its appreciated! :D
0celot
Outfitter

Post by 0celot »

Hello,

Thank you for taking time to answer questions!

1) What do you find most satisfying about animating?
2) A bit of a duplicate question I believe.. What inspirations do you research for modeling animals?
3) What do you think tH 2018 will be like, what do you think should evolve to get there?
4) What do you most enjoy now, when playing?

Return to “Official Game and Forum Information”