Ask Me Anything with Alena

Collection of useful resources, including forum info and functionality, Dev AMAs and everything else you want to have a quick access to.
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Re: Ask Me Anything with Alena

Post by Alena Rybik »

funnelpond wrote:By new water i mean will it ever be upgraded?

Thanks
Ok, thank you for the clarification (HooCair's background info was also very helpful, thanks for that).

We're not working on upgrading or improving the water in game right now and it's not in our plans for the nearest future. It's not impossible that we resume work in this direction at a later point in time though.
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

Burning Bridges wrote:Concerning new items, does the team ever change anything according to our feedback or are the plans already set out for the rest of 2014?
We do have a development roadmap for approximately half a year (which is to a very large extent community-driven, as you might have noticed from our recent releases), but even within that roadmap we have some freedom when it comes to introducing new items.

We always listen to your feedback, after all, the community is what has made theHunter what it is. However, you have to understand that we must take any feedback with a grain of salt and take into account a lot of different factors which the community might overlook or not be aware of (future undisclosed releases, business objectives, team resources, game balance etc.) We are not always able to change already released things (for example, if an item was released with certain characteristics and people have already paid for those, it would be unfair to them to change the characteristics post factum, however reasonable the related community feedback might be), but when it's possible, we're happy to implement your constructive feedback (for instance, the recent issue with Aimpoint sights).
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

SeeDoe wrote:Will there ever be real penalties for shooting animals unethically or failing to track down a wounded animal?
We're not planning to introduce ”real” penalties, as we believe that it is already intimidating enough not to be able to reap the rewards of a hunt, such as neither complete achievements and missions nor receive a hunter score and a trophy, and, which is probably even worse, have to read an angry message from our buddy Doc.
On a more serious note, our game design is based on a reward rather than punishment system. The majority of the team comes from Sweden, after all ;)
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

Gooseman81 wrote:first of all Thanks for letting us the ask questions we have Alena,

the team has proven a good feel for item balance so far (especialley lateley with the semi shotty)

- How important is game "balance" for the team?
It is very important indeed, all new items are checked and tweaked by Björn, to make sure that they don't disrupt the game balance.

Gooseman81 wrote:- how important are community suggestions and polls for you and the team?, is it part of your daily working routine to view them?
Community suggestions are the main source for inspiration for us, so yes, we go through them on a regular basis, sometimes daily, sometimes weekly, sometimes monthly – it really depends.
Gooseman81 wrote:- what do YOU think of the, the hunter community, and how will beeing on steam influance the community?
I have a huge respect and appreciation for this community, and consider myself very lucky to be working with it. People here are passionate, intelligent, helpful and friendly, they get along well, have loads of brilliant ideas and speak up their mind. I can not think of a more ”dream community” for any community manager to work with :) I am well aware of the problems and issues we have, but they are a natural part of any group dynamics and, thanks to the members, never grow into huge disasters.
I don't think that coming to Steam will influence this community to a large extent, people who are used to come to these forums for information and chat, will continue doing so. However, we'll perhaps get another theHunter ”community” on the Steam platform, for people who are accustomed to hang out there. The main challenge will probably be to manage both of them separately and effectively or to bring them together, at least to a certain extent. We shall see, it's going to be exciting anyway.
Gooseman81 wrote:And some things regarding the hunter i wanna know:

- will "guilds" aka HUntingclubs be added to the game at some (hopefully soonish) point?
We would like to introduce them at some point, but it won't happen any time soon. Adding such functionality is quite a huge task, which will involve lots of resources.
Gooseman81 wrote:- will the second and third place desing of the community voteing also be incorporated in the game (you had to buy them regualary!)
Probably yes, at some point in the future.
Gooseman81 wrote:- will my Blaser K95 stutzen edition be added to the game^^ (i got almost 100 votes and still two thirds majority)
Can't promise that, sorry. As you know, we don't reveal any plans or future releases until the timing is right, so I wouldn't be able to give you the answer to this question anyway :)
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

T0MRf5 wrote:If you could hunt one of your fellow colleagues, who would it be?
Perhaps the most puzzling question of the session! I can not think of anyone I'd like to hunt right now, but I've been here just for two months, give me another couple and maybe I'll be able to give you a more precise answer ;)
T0MRf5 wrote:Do you feel that there is more that can be done to involve the current community and also expand it and the means by which the community can involve itself in the development process?
Definitely, especially when it comes to user-generated content. It's my ambition and my goal to bring the community into the development process as much as it is possible, without jeopardizing the game, of course.
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

Bonaventura wrote:This is a bit personal. Should it be too personal, I apologize in advance and retract the question.

Isn't your name actually pronounced "Alyona"?
That's how you yourself spelt it in Cyrillic: Алёна. There is this strange habit in English to transcribe the Cyrillic 'ё' not as 'yo' (what it sounds like), but as 'e'. The older among us will remember the name "Gorbachev" which in practically all other languages was correctly transcribed as "Gorbachov", yet in English was even mispronounced, following that unphonetical transcription.

Does it not bother you that people will almost automatically mispronounce your name? And do you correct them?

Once again, if too personal, I apologize. Just like you I'm interested in languages and in the delicate liaisons between them which sometimes work and sometimes don't.
It's an absolutely legitimate question, thanks for asking!

Indeed, people do call me Alyona in my native tongue and other Slavic languages, but it's pretty difficult to pronounce correctly for people from non-Slavic countries. So, by calling myself Alena I am trying to be merciful to people and not force them break their tongues ;)
Plus my ID actually says Alena, since it's a Belarusian, not a Russian name, so it makes perfect sense.
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

Danimal wrote:im not testing ur work ethic or anything just curious how many hours of ur work day is spent in these forums?
Good question, haven't calculated the exact amount of hours actually, but definitely a lot. Will try to track it next week, just out of curiosity :)
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

killertut wrote:will you introduce colour variations for pheasant and turkey? (i don´t want any eta)
We want to introduce those, but there are certain technical nuances, specific to these two species, that need to be resolved before that could happen.
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

fape19988 wrote:Do you have RL hunting experience?
Not active. When I was little, I would follow my Dad to hunt hogs and elks, and my Grandad when he was hunting roe deer and ducks. That's about it so far, unfortunately.
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

ChrisMK72 wrote:Hey Alena,

first : Good idea with the ask me anything.

I have a question about the game. Maybe you can help !?

So here is my question and i hope you(or someone you can ask from the team) know the answer :

- While hunting inGame i asked myself, if there is a difference between heavy and light animals of the same species(for example brown bear 180kg/480kg), when it comes to "lifepoints" and "armor value".
With "lifepoints" i mean, when making a body shot, or intestines shot and the animal is running away bleeding, do bigger, heavier animals(for example480kg) live longer than small lightweigt animals(for example180kg) of same species ?
And with "armor value" i think about when hitting for example an animal like a brown bear @175 meters with a .308, is there a difference in penetration at smaller/lighter(180kg), and heavier/bigger(480kg) animals of the same species ? Have bigger bears more "armor value" than smaller ones ? I thought about it, because there is a difference between high scoring trophy animals and low scoring in the ai.

So is there a difference in life points/armor value between a 180kg brown bear, and a 480 kg brown bear ? :?: ?

I asked it in the forum, but because this question is very special, no one could answer this to 100%, so my last hope is this "ask me anything", and i know you have good connections to the devs-team, so this is my chance. :)

And btw : Keep on your good work.

Thank you,
Chris :-)
There's no difference between animals of the same species, with the exception of male hogs & boars that have a penetration "shield" around their vital organs, the heavier the animal the thicker is the "shield". This feature is introduced to simulate a real-life phenomenon when older bigger boars gain such protection through fighting with other boars.

Thank you Chris.

Return to “Official Game and Forum Information”