multicore and multithread rendering question

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
Bort
Scout

Re: multicore and multithread rendering question

Post by Bort »

You could be right about why there isn't a config file. I don't know. I'm a player. If you're not aware company staff that supports the game all have usernames that are purple on these forums. There's a legend at the bottom of the Board Index that explains the username colors if you haven't seen it and there's a more direct link that shares who staff members are [here].

GPU's all have multiple cores. Most of them have thousands of them. They're grouped in batches and work together the same way CPU cores do. There are CPU's that also do graphics but to my knowledge it's rare anyone has one. I couldn't find an OEM link to cite that info, most search results I looked at share that. Take your pick of a link you trust to be accurate if you decide to search it.

Here's the specs for a common, older card, I think people still have and use, the GTX1080, 2560 cores:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/gr ... fications/

Here's Nvidia's explanation of "Cuda Cores":
https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-faq
They're the processing cores, the Graphic's card's processing chip(s).

[This link on Intel.com] looks to be some good info on how CPU's work. I didn't read all of it I skimmed most of it. I did learn and get confirmation CPU's do effect frame rates for games (and probably videos I assume) and other things.

The reason CPU's effect those things isn't because it shares the tasks of running processes with the GPU. Those items work together, but also separately.
The processes a CPU runs are different processes than what the GPU runs.
The CPU runs all the processes for and from core files that run the game's exe, the GPU handles the processes that draw what we see on the screen.

For example the CPU runs the code that says 'they're pressing W, run *this* command so their guy walks forward' and the GPU draws all the animation and graphics for that process, they cooperate with each other.

At least that's my understanding of it. I've been messing with computers since the early 1980's both because they interest me and professionally as a tech. IBM is one of the companies I'm able to reference on my resume as a computer tech.
That doesn't mean I know everything.
I don't guess when discussing subjects like this that interest me even when my thoughts are sure I'm right.
I try to find the OEM source info to reference, study, and share so the info I share is accurate, from the manufacturer.
I learned and got confirmation of things I'm interested in knowing from this topic. Appreciated!
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Let's keep it civil, please ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
DAT66

Post by DAT66 »

@Bort
very interesting, but non of that was asked ^^ i dont want to build a proccesing unit, i want to know if the "staff" can apply that or if it has already.
the task manager tells me the game uses 1 core to 80% another at 40% and the other 2 at 15-20%. when i open a steam page, all cores go up to 65-70%, that would be multicore using

also, im not new to computers and have a basic understanding.
"Cores" in a CPU are build nearly the same way as GPU (admited, smaller and more transistors), so 2k Cores(2000) is BS (sry Tod1d, that had to be mentioned) since the latest chip set has only 10 ^^ you seem to mistaken transistor units with the common sales defenition of cores.

i belive you have more knowledge than me, and could explain so much more to me, but i didnt ask for what you are saying here.

btw, there is no way to edit any ini or config to tell the "G"pu to use only 1 or 2, they always use all available. the lines i added/changed are defenitly for the "C"pu!

thanks for your time and effords to explain in such detail. hope i wasnt to rough, dont want to insult. (just not very good with words)

have fun and good Hunting

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”