Change the way info is displayed about camo

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
atc86
Tracker

Change the way info is displayed about camo

Post by atc86 »

Something that's really annoyed me for a while is how cryptic some of the item descriptions can be. Mostly I'm talking about camo/face paints etc

Some of the outfits have descriptions like "Visual Reduction: Some vs. all species" Well what does "some" really mean? How much more effective is that than none? It's all very subjective.

What I propose is a better way for the player to understand how effective their camo is with a percentage system. if 0% is no camo and 100% is invisible then I can easily work out how effective my camo actually is.

For example:

Sneaky 3D Arid Camouflage (Top)
Visual Reduction: 10%
Scent Reduction: 0%
Sound Reduction: 0%

Sneaky 3D Arid Camouflage (Bottoms)
Visual Reduction: 10%
Scent Reduction: 0%
Sound Reduction: 0%

Outback outfit (boots)
Visual reduction 5%
Scent reduction 5%
Sound reduction 5%

Face paint 10% (Does face paint and scarf even stack or are they alternatives to each other? and if so why is the scarf supposedly more effective when it's a one time purchase and the face paint is a consumable)
Scent eliminator 100%
Scarf 10%

So now I can look at the clothing above and say if I use these 3 items I will have 25% visual reduction, and a 5% reduction to both scent and sound. Personally I find that much easier to understand and more informative. Each piece of clothing should have it's own value for camo rather than just an overall description for the whole set

Would also be nice for larger variety of clothing perks to be added so I have multiple choices rather than always using the same clothing. You could add clothing that reduces sound more but lacks in the visibility/scent and vice versa. Then people can mix and match their clothing to get a balance of perks that works for them. There are already a large amount of clothing items within the game that have no perks and these could be used.

Bonus clothing:
I feel there should be clothing rewarded for completing the most difficult of missions or special events like the jackets you guys did for the 10 year anniversary. These items should have unique bonuses to them such as "good visibility reduction for all species on all reserves" and should be very difficult to obtain.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Change the way info is displayed about camo

Post by HooCairs »

Fully agree.

I have tried earlier to get numbers out of the developers but back in the day they wanted to keep it cryptic on purpose. The players are supposed to figure out what this could mean. While I agree that the developers should not tell us everything (e.g. we can find out at what distance a deer runs when we come walking, we can measure this), there are things where the players have no way for measuring it. We can impossibly measure camo effect.

In most RPGs clothes, armor, weapons, items, etc. have values assigned to them, so that you can compare them, or you can judge whether an item is worth purchasing. In theHunter we have nothing but player opinions on the camo effects.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'd like to know too. I use the 3D Sneaky Fall Forest camo at Timbergold because it gives me all green on the camo checker. I'm not convinced i'm protected any better than wearing something different that gives me no green. Like the trapper outfit.

Both will get me busted while i'm doing the same exact thing. Yet, sometimes both will let an elk walk past me at 10 yds and another elk will bust me at 40 yds. I don't get it? Is what we wear even important?

In real life hunting I never wear camo. I wear the same red and black checkered wool shirt i've worn since the 50's. I never get busted unless I move.

If being all green on camo checker does matter. It should be listed on what maps and camo you'll be all green. As it is now we have to buy the camo to check it on the map. I mentioned above which one gives all green on Timbergold. On Loggers it's the 3D Sneaky Summer camo. Those are the only maps i've hunted so far. Someone with all the camo and maps should make a list of what's green for them. The game won't do it. They want us to buy all the outfits.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
atc86
Tracker

Post by atc86 »

OldMtnMan wrote:I'd like to know too. I use the 3D Sneaky Fall Forest camo at Timbergold because it gives me all green on the camo checker. I'm not convinced i'm protected any better than wearing something different that gives me no green. Like the trapper outfit.

Both will get me busted while i'm doing the same exact thing. Yet, sometimes both will let an elk walk past me at 10 yds and another elk will bust me at 40 yds. I don't get it? Is what we wear even important?

In real life hunting I never wear camo. I wear the same red and black checkered wool shirt i've worn since the 50's. I never get busted unless I move.

If being all green on camo checker does matter. It should be listed on what maps and camo you'll be all green. As it is now we have to buy the camo to check it on the map. I mentioned above which one gives all green on Timbergold. On Loggers it's the 3D Sneaky Summer camo. Those are the only maps i've hunted so far. Someone with all the camo and maps should make a list of what's green for them. The game won't do it. They want us to buy all the outfits.

The camo clothing on the store page should tell you which reserves it will work in on the description. Some maps such as Hemmeldal are easy as you just have the one camo type that works in all areas but some maps Timbergold for example have camo for the mountain area, camo for the forest areas and a separate one for fields.

The wiki also has good info on clothing for different reserves.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I noticed mine only works in the timber. Too much of a pain to change it if i'm in different terrain than timber.

The real question is............does it work? I watch Hoo get really close to game wearing the red and black shirt. Does skill level or anything else change how protected we are besides clothing?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

OldMtnMan wrote:I noticed mine only works in the timber. Too much of a pain to change it if i'm in different terrain than timber.

The real question is............does it work? I watch Hoo get really close to game wearing the red and black shirt. Does skill level or anything else change how protected we are besides clothing?
Skill level does not influence protection from animal species. The reason why he can get really close is A) He has a scent eliminator applied most likely, or B) The animals he is sneaking up to are female, and females are really unaware of their surroundings. And if he is sneaking up to male bucks and bulls, he most likely has experience with them and knows exactly how close he can get before they spook (Also I think Hoo wears some bone and cricket club pants and boots which give him a bit of a bonus.)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

You left out one more reason.

Camo doesn't matter. ;)
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I asked this in a PM Curly but thought i'd ask here too in case other want to answer it.

If i'm in a tripod. Does what I wear matter? I'd like to wear the red and black shirt and none camo pants. That's how I real hunted and it always worked good. Movement is what gets you busted in real life. Not how you look. As long as you don't wear blue. You'll look like a blue neon light if you do.

So, can I wear what I want in a tripod?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I just did a bunch of experiments about camo. Here's what I did.

I used two outfits on Timbergold. The trapper outfit which shows no green no matter what the terrain is. It's a tan color on camo checker.The other outfit was the 3D sneaky forest fall which is all green in the timber and grey out of the timber. Face paint was used with both outfits and without on both outfits. It never showed green and made no difference if I used it or not. I used two methods to hide. One in a crouch in high grass next to a tree. The other one was in a tripod. For the sneaky 3D outfit I did it in the timber and out of it too. So, all green to no green on camo checker.

I called in mule deer and elk. Bucks and does and bulls and cows. I just let them walk up to me getting as close as possible before spooking. Once I had the animal on center camera I took my hands off all controls so I would have any movement. I always had the wind in my face and use scent eliminator right right after they were in sight. I also used urine muley and elk spray so they would walk towards me. I tried to make the test as accurate as possible. I could repeat this over and over and always got exactly the same result for all tests.

The animals would walk slowly towards me. At about 10 yds they'd hold their nose in the air, pause, and then continue. When they got to 5-6 ft away they stopped and looked around for a couple of seconds. Then they spooked. All outfits and conditions and conditions were exactly the same. I saw zero difference in any test.

What I didn't test was shouldering a weapon to see if that would change the test results. I've read the animals won't see that but I should test it anyway.

Take what you want from the test or better yet. Do some testing too and see if you can find a difference in what we wear. As for me? I'll buy the red and black shirt and plain pants and wear that or the trapper outfit. I may do a couple of more test not wearing a hat and gloves to see what happens.

It felt good having the cows and does so close and letting them go. They need to live to have more calves and fawns. Bulls and bucks are fair game.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

HooCairs wrote:In most RPGs clothes, armor, weapons, items, etc. have values assigned to them, so that you can compare them, or you can judge whether an item is worth purchasing. In theHunter we have nothing but player opinions on the camo effects.
Yet in sporting goods stores we have terms like, "Good", "Excellent" & "Legendary". And their accuracy is only determined by customers. ;)

If no one is really noticing a difference in-game, then the effect is so small that it really doesn't matter much.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”