Change the way info is displayed about camo

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Change the way info is displayed about camo

Post by OldMtnMan »

One more experiment. This time I was in a ground blind. Wind in my face, all camo. I call in a doe. I spray scent eliminator and watch her come closer. When I could hear her footsteps. I go prone in the blind. Unless she can see through a blind there's no way she can see me. I hear her come closer. She stops what i'm guess is just a few feet from the blind. She wait a second or too and spooks. I was dead quiet and not touching any controls.

What spooked her? My guess is the animals don't see, hear, or smell us when close. They're just programmed to spook. Not a problem really. Just shoot before they get too close. What you wear isn't as important as not letting them see you move other then shouldering your weapon. Plus, never let them smell you. For me this simulates real hunting, except in real hunting we can't be seen shouldering our weapon. Which is why longbows and recurves are harder to hunt in close compared to compounds, crossbows and guns. All can be held shouldered for quite a while. I suppose if you're really strong you could hold the recurve and longbow shouldered for a while too. Most can't do that.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

OldMtnMan wrote:I just did a bunch of experiments about camo. Here's what I did.

I used two outfits on Timbergold. The trapper outfit which shows no green no matter what the terrain is. It's a tan color on camo checker.The other outfit was the 3D sneaky forest fall which is all green in the timber and grey out of the timber. Face paint was used with both outfits and without on both outfits. It never showed green and made no difference if I used it or not. I used two methods to hide. One in a crouch in high grass next to a tree. The other one was in a tripod. For the sneaky 3D outfit I did it in the timber and out of it too. So, all green to no green on camo checker.

I called in mule deer and elk. Bucks and does and bulls and cows. I just let them walk up to me getting as close as possible before spooking. Once I had the animal on center camera I took my hands off all controls so I would have any movement. I always had the wind in my face and use scent eliminator right right after they were in sight. I also used urine muley and elk spray so they would walk towards me. I tried to make the test as accurate as possible. I could repeat this over and over and always got exactly the same result for all tests.

The animals would walk slowly towards me. At about 10 yds they'd hold their nose in the air, pause, and then continue. When they got to 5-6 ft away they stopped and looked around for a couple of seconds. Then they spooked. All outfits and conditions and conditions were exactly the same. I saw zero difference in any test.

What I didn't test was shouldering a weapon to see if that would change the test results. I've read the animals won't see that but I should test it anyway.

Take what you want from the test or better yet. Do some testing too and see if you can find a difference in what we wear. As for me? I'll buy the red and black shirt and plain pants and wear that or the trapper outfit. I may do a couple of more test not wearing a hat and gloves to see what happens.

It felt good having the cows and does so close and letting them go. They need to live to have more calves and fawns. Bulls and bucks are fair game.
A limited test both with camo that will help for both species. Every once in awhile I switch reserves and forget to change my clothing. Being an in-close bow hunter I quickly notice the difference when I'm accidentally wearing alpine camo on RFF and such.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

My test was too limited. I'd like to see a test done that really tests the difference. I'm not convinced camo works but i'm open to change my mind if it can be proven that camo works. Sometimes a placebo can fool us.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”