Huntermate show distance in meters

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
Pombu

Huntermate show distance in meters

Post by Pombu »

When the animal responds to the decoy, the huntermate must show the distance in meters, instead of us having to calculate by distance, and as the animal approaches and responds to the decoy, the huntermate updates the distance in meters
Jimmy Rustle
Spotter

Re: Huntermate show distance in meters

Post by Jimmy Rustle »

You can roughly guess it. The tip of your location arrow is approx 40m, so you can guess as multiples of this. Any reported accurate distance on the Huntermate will only be as accurate as your skill level vs the animal you are tracking.

Tbh if they were going to "upgrade" the Huntermate I'd rather have a Go Back/Go to Previous option where if I'm tracking something and I get a call from another animal, then I could locate it on the screen and not have to walk 20m back to the last track to carry on with the trail. A "Yep, that is whatever that call/track is and here is the info, press button B to ignore it and go back to what you were tracking". Right now you have only got an Abandon Current Track option to get any info, which either reduces potential situational awareness or makes it a chore.
Vanatorul_Roman
Hunter

Post by Vanatorul_Roman »

Pombu wrote:When the animal responds to the decoy, the huntermate must show the distance in meters, instead of us having to calculate by distance, and as the animal approaches and responds to the decoy, the huntermate updates the distance in meters
No, it must not. This is a hunting simulator not an arcade game. You will hear that a lot,from veteran hunters , if you ask such things. (spawnmashers are not hunters in my opinion, they are just players cutting corners for an easy score). Why is that this last generation of newcomers to this game ask for an "easy fix" everytime they have a chance I wonder ? I might be an old school guy, but I can't reconcile with such attitudes.No disrespect meant.
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

The accuracy of the audio clue improves with each level up of your tracking skill. Distance measurement not required on HM. Audio clue gives you direction you got MK1HEB's for after that or optics.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Pombu wrote:When the animal responds to the decoy, the huntermate must show the distance in meters, instead of us having to calculate by distance, and as the animal approaches and responds to the decoy, the huntermate updates the distance in meters
The huntermate screen is about 440m wide, and 460-480m tall. So the right or left edge is 220m (old render distance) away from you at the center.
A quick visual interpolation will get you "close enough for all practical purposes."

When you are suggesting something, The more passive "should" sounds better than "must". "Must" makes it sound like you are demanding something. ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

It looks like English isn't Pombu's first language, so I think the "must" and the actual description of what he wants are just translation issues and nothing else. I, however, also thought it was clear the he was asking for the huntermate to display a distance to animal calls. When the animal calls again, the distance to the call would be updated to show how much closer the animal is.

I would prefer this not be added to the game. Knowing the direction and distance to an animal makes to far too easy, you mine as well just put a marker over the animal when it calls. Although I can see how someone who doesn't know the dimensions of the huntermate screen would want something like this maybe. Without knowing the edges of the huntermate are roughly 220m away, a new player is 100% just guessing how far an animal call is. For someone new, they may think a call on the screen is close, like within 50m. They look and don't see anything, so it could confuse them.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

With time and experience (and knowing the area covered by the HM screen as covered earlier in the thread) you get pretty good at knowing the distances for such calls shown on the HM. This is one of the intangibles experience in the game provides. Those intangibles are a big part of what makes the game interesting and gives it longevity in my view. After all what would be the point without intangibles. It would be like shooting down targets at a carnival game.

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”