Metric vs STANDARD

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
BearJohnson
Hunter

Metric vs STANDARD

Post by BearJohnson »

WAAAAYYYY back in the 1970's a cheap Casio watch had a simple button to push that changed your time display between 12 or 24 hour display.
These days you can choose your time zone for everything from games to forums...

Why can't we choose between metric and STANDARD weights and distances in game?

I am an OLD school American. In the 1970's in elementary school I refused to study the new fangled metric system that they tried to force down our throats.
because, well...
I am an OLD school American.

PLEASE make the measuring system in game a choice.

PLEASE...
Last edited by BearJohnson on January 2nd, 2019, 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

nachthexe
Hunter

Re: Metric vs Decimal

Post by nachthexe »

You understand that metric IS decimal?
You mean between metric and the convoluted mess that 3 countries in the world still use. :)

Also doesn't the game display both?
Code: Select all
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

nachthexe wrote:Also doesn't the game display both?
Only in the range finder binoculars. The rest you have to figure out yourself. It's an easy forumula..just multiply # of meters x 3.28.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

I don't know if every item display both, but the rangefinder binos show distance in meters and ft, and when you harvest an animal it say both distances, Shot Distance: 57.08m (187.27ft)

Edit: after reading stancomputerhunter answer i guess i understand better how BearJohnson feels, the solution (again) is to buy an item that may be unrequested, i think it would be fair if every item that show distance do it in both ways. After looking from the "where are you from" thread, a very large portion comes from NA.
Last edited by VonStratos on January 2nd, 2019, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Yeah, I'm trying to think of where in the game both aren't displayed. Since for all practical purposes 1 meter = 1 yard, and hunters almost always estimate range in yards, I really don't see the problem. And for certain animals (fox, coyote, etc), the score is actually the weight in lbs.
Personal Bests...
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

BearJohnson wrote:I am an OLD school American. In the 1970's in elementary school I refused to study the new fangled metric system that they tried to force down our throats.
because, well...
Man, I hear you.
I moved to US last summer... So I know how to wear your shoes. Instead of good transparent decimal metric system you have all these 0.454 kg, 1609 m, 3.79 l etc, not even saying about MPG when all other people count l/100km. Yeah, and hex keys from nearest Home Depot that do not fit metric bolts.
BTW did you travel outside North America? Then you should probably hear about Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, the one that defines road signs used on opposite side of Atlantic and Pacific. Another thing that is not intuitive to convert I'd say. :)
And these smart scales that I have bought to monitor my weight do switch from kilograms to stones each time someone touches their bottom occasionally. Stones, ***? Not even just pounds... Most funny, the scales are designed by Finnish company that uses metric system internally - but they are for US market.
And the worst thing is "calories per serving" on food. Not per 100g as in all other countries. Nope, per serving. So first I need to find what's "one serving" for exact food - sometimes it's 55 g, sometimes 99 g or any other value "picked from ceiling", then do additional math with it.
What is that great purpose of declining much more intuitive system?

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

nachthexe wrote:You understand that metric IS decimal?
You mean between metric and the convoluted mess that 3 countries in the world still use. :)

Also doesn't the game display both?
I don't think the number of countries that use it is as important as the number of customers / players. If the numbers show it, EW should consider this. Like BearJ points out, how hard could it (im)possibly be?
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

_dfad_ wrote:
BearJohnson wrote:I am an OLD school American. In the 1970's in elementary school I refused to study the new fangled metric system that they tried to force down our throats.
because, well...
Man, I hear you.
I moved to US last summer... So I know how to wear your shoes. Instead of good transparent decimal metric system you have all these 0.454 kg, 1609 m, 3.79 l etc, not even saying about MPG when all other people count l/100km. Yeah, and hex keys from nearest Home Depot that do not fit metric bolts.
BTW did you travel outside North America? Then you should probably hear about Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, the one that defines road signs used on opposite side of Atlantic and Pacific. Another thing that is not intuitive to convert I'd say. :)
And these smart scales that I have bought to monitor my weight do switch from kilograms to stones each time someone touches their bottom occasionally. Stones, ***? Not even just pounds... Most funny, the scales are designed by Finnish company that uses metric system internally - but they are for US market.
And the worst thing is "calories per serving" on food. Not per 100g as in all other countries. Nope, per serving. So first I need to find what's "one serving" for exact food - sometimes it's 55 g, sometimes 99 g or any other value "picked from ceiling", then do additional math with it.
What is that great purpose of declining much more intuitive system?
So I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in the U.K., where they also have road signs that are in miles, MPH, and state fuel efficiency in MPG, although they sell fuel in liters (litres?). I don't know anyone in the U.S. that uses stones, that's a UK thing.

The serving size thing is just a convenience, because most food is packaged as a serving (or multiple servings). That way you know how many calories you're eating without having to do any math. I'm not sure how knowing calories by weight is really all that helpful, since now you are going to have to know how much what you ate weighs, then do math to calculate the number of calories you just consumed.

Home Depot sells metric hex keys (Allen keys).

There is nothing more transparent or intuitive or less arbitrary between imperial or metric. They are both just units of measure, and both are "decimal" since humans usually use decimal math (digits 0-9), because we have 10 fingers. It's all about what you are accustom to.
Personal Bests...
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

I did not want a big discussion (shoulda known better I guess)...
I just want the option to switch.
Trigger time = FUN!

BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

nachthexe wrote:You understand that metric IS decimal?
Fixed to Metric vs STANDARD
Trigger time = FUN!

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”